On 2006, the town of Mitsuishi (三石町) merged with the town of Shizunai (静内町) to create the new town of Shinhidaka. Shizunai is the largest town in the Subprefecture.
- JR Hidaka main line
Shizunai is about 2.5 hours from Sapporo by car.
- 1 Nijikken-dōro (二十間道路). 24hours. Best time to see at Early May.. This 120-foot-wide avenue, lined with Ezo mountain cherry trees, is the major attraction here. Free.
- [dead link] Shizunai Ainu Museum. Tu-Su 9AM-5PM. A small museum of Japan's aboriginal people. Free.
If you go to mountains, in spring and summer, you can see cherry blossoms. Fishing, camping, hiking etc is popular. In winter, you can see many swans in the Shibechari River.
- Riding Hills Shizunai. For horse lovers.
- Nakai Suisan (中井水産). Fresh marine products and tasty hors d'oeuvres.
- Ota Apiary (太田養蜂場), Miyukicho 6-3-26. Sells locally produced honey.
|Routes through Shinhidaka|
|Tomakomai ← Niikappu ←||W E||→ Samani|