Si Satchanalai (ศรีสัชนาลัย) is a city in Lower Northern Thailand, close to Sukhothai. Si Satchanalai, which literally means "City of good people", was founded in 1250 as the second center of the Sukhothai Kingdom and as a residence of the crown prince in the 13th and 14th centuries. The ruins and monuments of Si Satachanali are maintained by the Fine Art Department of Thailand. Si Satchanali along with Sukhothai and Kamphaeng Phet are UNESCO World Heritage Sites
Si Satchanali is not connected with the rail network. The closest train station is in Phitsanulok, located about 100 km from Si Satchanali.
By car, from the provincial city of Sukhothai, take Hwy 101 (Sukhothai–Sawankhalok-Si Satchanalai route) to km18–19. Turn left to cross the Yom River. Then, turn right for another 1.5 km. The total distance is 68 km. Alternatively, a Sukhothai–Si Satchanalai bus is available.
Buses are available from Sukhothai Bus Terminus to Si Satchanali. The buses travels from Sukhothai to Chiang Rai and stops at Si Satchanali. The distance is 55 km and takes about an hour and costs 50 Baht. Buses are available from the morning till about noon. For the return journey buses are available from noon and the last bus leaves at about 4 pm (please double confirm).
Si Satchanali is can be covered by a day trip from Sukhothai or as a independent destination.
From 1 Si Satchanali Bus Stop (from / to Sukothai). Cycles are available on rent for 20 / 30 bhat. The shop is located next to the bus stop. From the shop cycle southwards and cross the Yom River on a rickety suspension bridge 2 Yom River Bridge. to reach the ruins.
The ruins are Si Satchanali are too spread out to be covered on foot in a single day. However major sites can be covered on foot.
An electric tram operates only within the walled complex.
The monuments of Si Satchanali are divided into two groups"
- Inside City Wall
- Outside City Wall
Inside City Wall
The walled city lies along the bend of Yom River. The wall have 6 gateways.
- 3 Ramnarong Gate. Ramnarong Gate is located on the south - western corner of the city wall.
- 4 Chaiyaphruk Gate (north west).
- 5 Chanasongkhram Gate (north west).
- 6 Saphan Chan Gate (West).
- 7 Don Laem Gate (East, next to Yom River).
- 8 Tao Mo Gate (North, next to Yom River).
Among the six the Ramnarong Gate is the most accessible with the 9 Tourist Information Centre. next to it. There is a toilet and bi cycle rental.
- 1 Wat Nang Phaya (โบราณสถานวัดนางพญา).
- 2 Wat Suan Kaeo Uthayan Yai (วัดสวนแก้วอุทยานใหญ่).
- 3 Wat Chedi Chet Thaew (วัดเจดีย์เจ็ดแถว).
- 4 Wat Suan Keao Utthayan Noi (โบราณสถานวัดสวนแก้วอุทยานน้อย).
- 5 Wat Lak Muang (โบราณสถานวัดหลักเมือง).
- 6 Wat Udom Pa Sak.
- 7 Wat Chang Lom วัดช้างล้อม.
- 8 Wat Khao Phanom Phloeng (วัดเขาพนมเพลิง).
- 9 Wat Khao Suwankhiri (เขาสุวรรณคิรี).
The walled complex has several other minor sites like 10 Wat Wi Han Noi. , 11 Wat Na Phraeng. , 12 Wat Som Siew. , 13 Wat Pa Kham. . Also present are several name lees monuments denoted just by numbers 14 Monument No. 25. , 15 Monumnet No. 26. , 16 Monument No. 29.