Sialkot (Urdu/Punjabi: سیالکوٹ) is a city of 656,000 people (2017) in the northeast of the Pakistani province of Punjab. The city is about 5,000 years old. It is frequently visited by foreign buyers on business assignments.
It was established by Raja Sul and invaded by Alexander the Great in 327 CE. It was re-established by Raja Sálbán in 200 CE. He built the famous Sialkot Fort. The city is famous for its small industries, such as surgical goods, sports goods, leather garments, musical instruments, uniform badges, health gloves, stainless steel utensils, and many other exportable items. It fetches more than a billion US dollars of foreign exchange every year. The city has progressed rapidly. In order to boost the exports and facilitate the movement of goods and passengers, a dry port has been establishment at Sambrial, and an international airport has been built with the financial support of the local businessmen. A Sialkot-Lahore motorway is also planned which, when built, will reduce the driving distance and travel time between the two cities considerably.
There are daily flights from most major cities in Pakistan as well as from regional hubs.
- 2 Sialkot Junction railway station (سیالکوٹ جوڑ اسٹیشن). Main railway station, in city centre.
- 3 Sambrial railway station (سمبڑیال ریلوے اسٹیشن). Small station which is of use if travelling to and from the international airport as it is just 5 km away. Plenty of taxis and rickshaws connect with the airport.
Sialkot is linked with the National Highway (N-5) via Gujranwala and via Wazirabad. The 103-km-long motorway M11 directly connects Sialkot to Lahore with interchanges near major urban centres of the Sialkot region along the route. The motorway is connected to the Lahore-Islamabad Motorway (M2) near Lahore via Lahore Bypass. Daewoo bus service is available from Sialkot to different cities of the country including Lahore and Rawalpindi/Islamabad.
There are some air-conditioned buses that roam around the city. These buses pick passengers wherever they see. They are cheap and comfortable. There are also plans for introduction of metro bus service in near future.
The most common means of public transport is auto rickshaw.
Taxis are also available in plenty. Careem ride hailing service is pretty popular amongst young people and foreigners. Rental car service is available near the bus station and under Jinnah Park Flyover.
- 1 Sialkot Fort. One of the oldest forts in Pakistan, first built by Raja Sálbán, king of the area during the 2nd century CE and is believed to have re-established the city.
- 2 Sialkot Cathedral. This cathedral consecrated in 1857 is in cantonment area.
- 3 Iqbal Manzil, Iqbal Rd. Birthplace of Muslim poet and philosopher Muhammad Allama Iqba, the national poet of Pakistan. Contains a museum and a library.
- Marala Headworks (Marala Head). A quite popular picnic spot on Chenab River. People come to eat fresh fish and boating in the river mostly during the weekends. A good place to enjoy the landscape and natural beauty.
- Seerat Study Center is on Ghazi Road in cantonment area.
- Imam Ali ul Haq shrine is on Imam Sahib Road.
- Baba Bari Sahib — a centuries-old Sikh shrine (Bari Sahib) is located on Zafarwal Road.
- Jinnah Stadium (International Cricket Test Centre) is on Circular Road.
- Murray College — a historical college where Iqbal and Faiz studied. It also has Allama Iqbal Library (much bigger than the Allama Iqbal Library at Paris Road).
- Clock Tower — a century-old clock tower in Saddar Bazar is the most famous landmark of Sialkot.
- Puran Bhagat Well — another historical site near cantonment area.
- Local Industry — visit Sialkot Chamber of Commerce to see local products. You can ask them to arrange visit local manufacturing units (Sports goods, garments, leather, surgical instruments, music instruments).
- Hockey Academy, Gulshan Park near Pulaik. Field Hockey Academy, by first Astro Truff.
- Sozo water park (Sialkot Cantt. Branch (mid 2010)), Garison park. (under construction)
- Gulsan i Iqbal Park
- Sialkot Park
- Garrison Park
- Sindbad Fun House
- Khayaban e Iqbal
- Leather garments (original leather coats, jackets & accessories)
- Sports Goods (soccer, volleyballs. rugby balls, basketballs, hockey sticks, tennis rackets, cricket gear, polo sticks, fishing equipments, boxing & other sport equipment).
- Sportswear (track suits, T-shirts, gloves, sports wear & karate uniforms)
- Musical instruments (Scotch Pipe, drums, guitars)
- Chicken Cottage, Hotel Taj Palace, Katchery Road. Coffee, cocktails, snacks.
- Dinners Club, Hotel Taj Palace, Katchery Road. Pakistani, Chinese.
- Vivo Cafe & Grill, Ghazi Road at V-Mall Sialkot Cantt, ☏ . 13:00-23:30. Upscale. Good Salads, steaks, oriental, continental and Italian food. Best food, Great service. The music played there is lovelly and the staff is very polite to customers. little expensive.
- KFC, Near Bus Stand, Cantt, ☏ 111-532-532 (non-geographic number). Fast Food.
- Pizza Hut, Ghazi Road at V-Mall Sialkot Cantt. Fast food.
- Yorkshire, Railway Road. Pakistani, Continental.
- Silver Spoon, Aziz Shaheed Road Sialkot Cantt. Chinese & continental.
- Eat More Restaurant, Aziz Shaheed Road Sialkot Cantt. Pakistani. Good fried fish.
- Hot & Cold, Sarko Hotel, Aziz Shaheed Road Sialkot Cantt. Pakistani. Continental.
- Nawabdin Kulfi, Old City. Faloda, Kulfi
- Yummy 36, Aziz Shaeed Road Sialkot Cantt. Ice cream.
- delhi shai, Cantonment Plaza at Sialkot Cantt. Barbecue, shawarma, biryani and many other thing.
- Rendezvous, Ghazi Road Sialkot Cantt.
- McDonald's, Clover Mall at Mehmood Ghaznavi Road Sialkot Cantt.
- Frangoz, Aziz Shaheed Road Sialkot Cantt. and Circular Road.
- Subway, Ghazi Road, V-Mall Sialkot Cantt. Sandwiches & salads, international chain.
- Grandiose, Aziz Shaheed Road Sialkot Cantt. lower ground HSBC Bank, ☏ . 12:00-01:00.
- Cock n Bull, Cantonment Plaza at Sialkot Cantt.
- Dragon City, Cantonment Plaza at Sialkot Cantt.
- Masooms Cafe, Cantonment Plaza Sialkot Cantt.
- Frangoz Cafe, near McDonald's, Clover Mall, Mehmood Ghaznavi Road, Sialkot Cantt.
- Hotel one, Wazirabad Road.052-3240495, 052–3240494.
- Galaxy Hotel, Wazirabad Road, 052–3555557.
- Hotel Taj Palace, Court Road, 052–4270034.
- Pace Tower , Aziz Shaheed Road, 052–4266144.
- Spring Heights, Aziz Shaheed Road, 052–4261910, 052–4265685.
- Canal View Hotel, Airport Road, 052–5520780.
- Hotel Stay Inn, Aziz Shaheed Road, 052–4272480.
Sialkot is a safe city as compared to the other cities of Pakistan. Crimes such as pocketing and robbery are not very common. Violent crime is very rare. The people of Sialkot are friendly to the visitors.
- Public call offices (PCO) line all major streets in Sialkot.
- Internet cafes can be found in hotels and main streets.
- WiFi Sialkot International Airport is free WiFi Zone RUN by COMSATS Internet Services, contact 111-700-800 for free access. Subway Restaurant also offers free Wifi Facility to its customers
- General Post Office Paris Road
- FedEx Paris Road
- DHL Paris Road
- TCS Khadim Ali ROAD.
- FCA Paris Road.
- Head-Marala - About 20 km from city, it is a head works on River Chenab. Two canals originate from there. A good place for angling and to eat fresh fish around, and having good views of the Shiwalak Mountains in Kashmir.