The Sierra Nevada is a mountain range in Andalucia in the south east of Spain. They are the tallest mountains in mainland Spain, rising to over 10,000 ft (over 3000 metres). The highest peak is Mulhacén at 3,479 m.
It is a popular tourist destination, as its high peaks make skiing possible in one of Europe's most southerly ski resorts, in an area along the Mediterranean Sea predominantly known for its warm temperatures and abundant sunshine. At its foothills is found the city of Granada and, a little further, Almería and Málaga.
The city of Granada lies in the foothills on the northern side of the Sierra Nevada
The Sierra Nevada was formed 66 to 1.8 million years ago from the collision of the African and Eurasian continental plates.
Sierra Nevada has a Mediterranean climate, with different variations depending on the altitude. Summer and winter daytime temperatures are some 12° C cooler than found in Granada, differences that are even greater in spring as Sierra Nevada takes longer to approach the short summers. In May daytime highs in Sierra Nevada are around 4 °C (39 °F) with Granada having an average of 24 °C (75 °F). The yearly temperature of 3.9 °C (39.0 °F) at the ski station of Pradollano is in stark contrast to Granada's 15.7 °C (60.3 °F) and coastal Málaga's 18.5 °C (65.3 °F).
- Fly in to Malaga and drive eastwards from there.
- Drive westwards from the city of Almeria
- Ski resort 2 hours from Malaga Airport, 45 minutes from Granada airport
- Alpujarras Valley 2½ hours from Malaga, 1 hr 15 min from Granada
- 2 Sierra Nevada National and Natural Park - Draped across southern Spain,the park is in Sierra Nevada mountain range, and is a paradise for snow enthusiasts and sun seekers alike. In winter, hit the slopes at Spain's southernmost ski resort. In summer, explore meadows adorned with wildflowers and conquer Mulhacén, the Iberian Peninsula's tallest peak. The Park covers part of the Sierra Nevada range.
- Andaventur Granada Adventure Company. Outdoor sports in the Sierra Nevada National park and Granada province, tandem paraglider flights, canyoning, hiking, ski, rock climbing, horse riding.
- Sierra Nevada Ski Resort (from Granada ring road follow the signs for Sierra Nevada; roughly 2 hr drive from Malaga airport and 45 min from Granada airport; buses available from Granada), ☏ . Europe's most southern ski resort generally open for skiing and snowboarding from December until the end of April. The resort itself is built on a steep hillside and the base is at 2200 m with the highest point at 3300 m. There are 103 km of pistes and the range of pistes go from a flat beginners area with a "magic carpet" through to Green, Blue, Red and Black. There is also a children's only area called the "Dream Land". Skiing, snowboarding, hiking, dogsledding, skating, spa.
- Snowkite Sierra Nevada (at White World next to the main gondola), ☏ . Snowkite lessons in a ski resort, in a dedicated snowkite zone guaranteed by the Sierra Nevada Ski Station.
- Hotel El Lodge, C/Maribel 8, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 15.00, check-out: 12.00. From €300.
- Camping Las Lomas Güéjar-Sierra.
- Hotel Mont Blanc.
- Hotel GHM Monachil, Av. Maribel, 10 CP, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hotel el Ciervo, Edificio Penibético, ☏ .
- Hotel Santa Cruz Sierra Nevada.