Singkil is served by the small Syekh Hamzah Fansyuri Airport. There are only flights from Medan, operated by Wings Air (a subsidiary of Lion Air) and Susi Air.
It is also possible to take a ten-hour 4WD drive on other days, by arrangement (thus cost varies).
By long-distance taxi
- CV. Sumatra Tour and Travel operates a shuttle from Medan and Kualanamu Intl Airport to Singkil (Rp 140,000-190,000) and also can arrange a taxi from other locations. Contact Mr. Satiman (phone, text or WA :+6282294107162, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). He speaks English too. You also can go by Private Car Charter is Rp 900,000 for up 4 people.
- Losmen Mona Lisa. Rooms cost Rp 20,000 or Rp 30,000. Don't expect much luxury but the owner is charming, his daughter (when there) can speak English and the coffee is quite good. Rp 20,000/night.
Sea travels in this area are quite an adventure. Don't even plan to go there if you have less than 4 days available.
Banyak Island (local name Pulau Banyak) is the obvious destination from Singkil.
- Ferry leaves every Tuesday at 10:00. It is the only dependable transportation available. Cost Rp 27,000.
- Wooden boats are available, but it is quite an adventure. Boats leave only when the weather, the tide, the waves and the captain's mood are OK. If they tell you the boat leaves at 10:00, be there at 09:00 and bring a good book as it may leave at 13:00... or not at all. The travel costs Rp 50,000.
- A much easier way is to charter a speedboat. But they will charge an outrageous Rp 1,000,000 (shared among all passengers, maximum 4) to go to Balai Island and Rp 1,500,000 to Haloban.