Located near the Czech border, Skalica has a population of approx. 15000.
The site has been inhabited since 4000 BC and was part of the Great Moravian Empire. The first written record of Skalica was made in 1218. From the second half of the 10th century until 1918, it was part of the Kingdom of Hungary.
Today, it is economically the strongest town in the Záhorie region, bypassing its rival town Senica for this position, and is becoming a tourist destination thanks to its preserved city centre and historical monuments.
Trains from Bratislava via Kúty to Skalica train station (Skalica na Slovensku).
- 1 Záhorie museum (Záhorské múzeum). A regional museum with 5 rooms. Ethnographic, archeologic and historic exhibitions.
- 2 Rotonde of St.George (Rotunda sv. Juraja). Constructed approx. in 12th century, with a baroque dome attached later in 17th century.
- 3 Church of St. Michael. A church from 15th century.
- A 15th century Franciscan church and monastery
- Late Renaissance town hall
- 4 Skalica Culture House. Built in the Art Nouveau with elements of Czech and Slovak folklore