- This article is an itinerary.
The Scyldingas, Skjöldunga or Skjoldunger clan is the mythical family of kings who supposedly founded the Kingdom of Denmark. 1500 years later their namne was used for this trail connecting a number of important historical sights from the viking age and late iron age in the area around Roskilde and Lejre. Roskilde is the home of the 900 years old Roskilde Cathedral and was an important center of power in the ealy middle ages when the archbishop was Absalon of the "white familiy", nearby Lejre was an earlier center of power and recent excavations revealed a kingly hall 61 meter x 12 meter.
This itinary is best done by foot or bike, but all the sights ae also accesible by car. In addition all sights are accsesible by public bus, but it will require a number of connections and detours.
There are three entry points for the itinerary - the stations Roskilde, Lejre and Hvalsø, all on the same line, the regional train to Kalundborg from Copenhagen (or Høje Tåstrup).
- 1 Roskilde Museum, Sankt Ols Stræde 3 4000 Roskilde, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Small but informative museum of Roskildes history from the stone age to present times 50 kr..
- 2 Roskilde Palace (Roskilde Palæ), Stændertorvet 3, ☎ . Home to two exhibitions, the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Palace Wing. A four wing yellow baroque building built in the 18th century. Was home to the king and his family when around.
- 3 Roskilde Cathedral (Roskilde Domkirke), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Apr-Sep M-Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 12:30PM-5PM; Oct-Mar Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 12:30PM-4PM, limited access during ceremonies. On UNESCO World Heritage List. This is where Danish kings and queens have been buried for a thousand years, 20 kings and 17 queens lay in the four chapels here. Most impressive are the temple like monuments for King Christian III and his wife. A wooden church was built here in the 10th century, the present church was built in early 13th century. Home to the Cathedral Museum. 60 Kr, students and pensioners 40 Kr, children free, worshipers free.
- 4 Bypark. Established in 1915 by Roskilde's patron, O.H. Schmeltz. Comprises a playground for children, a snake-like walking path and other areas well suited for a stroll or for hanging around. The park is home to cultural events including summer concerts Tuesdays in July. If you walk from the city centre to the Viking museum, this can be done through the park.
- 5 The Viking Ship Museum, Vindeboder 12 (Walk from Roskilde Station), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 10AM-5PM. A museum with several original viking ships, a viking research center, a harbour with copies of viking ships, and a shipyard making new ships. 80-115 Kr, students 70-100 Kr, children free.
- 6 St Jørgensbjerg Church (St. Jørgensbjerg Kirke), Kirkegade 26, 4000 Roskilde (Walk from Roskilde Station or bus 207), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- 7 Sct. Hans Hospitals Museum, Kurhusvænge, 4000 Roskilde (bus 207), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. W 1PM-4PM. The psychiatric hospital was established in 1860 as one of the most modern of its time. The museum shows the history of the hospital. Free.
- 8 Boserup Forest (3 km west of Roskiilde, bus 207 from Roskilde Station). Hilly, primarily beech mixed forest. 5 km trekking path.
- 9 Rope ferry across Kornerup Creek (Kornerup Å). Opening hours varies with weather. The rope ferry across Kornerup Å nord of Svogerslev Lake connects the Skjoldunger trail with the "Trails of Hesselbjerggaard" Free.
- 10 Kornerup Church (Kornerup Kirke), Kornerup Kirke, Ravnshøjvej 7B, 4000 Roskilde (Busses 226, 227, 230R, 231, 236), e-mail: email@example.com.
- 11 Lejre Museum, Orehoejvej 4B, Lejre (bus 207), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Oct-Mar Sa-Su 11AM-4PM; Apr-Sep, Easter, autumn holiday 11AM-4PM. Exhibits of Lejre's historical influence on the history of Denmark. Also exhibits of the historical development of the area. Free.
- 12 Lejre Land of Legends (Sagnlandet Lejre), Slangealleen 2, Lejre (bus 233 (only in the summer)), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 2 May-18 Sep Tu-F 10AM-4PM, Sa-Su 11AM-5PM; also open during Easter and autumn holidays as well as M during mid summer. Theme park with reconstructions of a Iron Age village, a Stone Age camp, a Viking market, a 19th century-farm cottages and more. 125 DKK, children 3-11 85 DKK.
- 13 Ledreborg Palace & Park, Ledreborg Alle 2, Lejre (bus 233 to the palace (only in the summer)), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Park 11MA-4PM, palace only by appointment. Built 1740-45 by Count Johan Ludvig Holstein-Ledreborg and still the family residence. Houses a collection of original furniture and paintings. The baroque park has resently been restored. Houses an open air concert every summer. Park 25 Kr.
- 14 Særløse Church (Særløse Kirke), Særløsevej 2, 4330 Hvalsø (bus 215), ☎ .
- 15 Valborup Forest (Valborup Skov). Large forest of beech and spruce, mostly private forest under the Skjoldnæsholm Estate. In the southernmost part of the forest is found the highest hill on Zealand, Gyldenløves Hill at 125m and further south is the Skjoldnæsholm Bus & Tram museum.
- 16 Hvalsø Church (Hvalsø Kirke), Præstegårdsvej 2, 4330 Hvalsø (Train to Hvalsø Statioon), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Roskilde. Roskilde has a large number of cafes and restaurants from burger and pizza to top-notch fine dining. The Viking Ship museum has it's own restaurant "Snekken" (A "Snekke" is a type of Viking Ship)
- 1 The Eatery, Boserup Skov (Traktørstedet, Boserup Skov), Boserupvej 82, 4000 Roskilde (bus 207), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Opening hours varies by season. Coffee, tea, soft drinks and pastries
- 2 Golf Restaurant Birdie, Margrethehåbsvej 116, 4000 Roskilde, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. http://www.restaurantbirdie.dk/kontakt/. Pricy but membership is not required.
- 3 Svogerslev Kro, Svogerslev Hovedgade 45, 4000 Roskilde (bus 201A), ☎ , e-mail: Kontakt@svogerslevkro.dk. mid-range.
- 4 Lejre Land of Legends (Sagnlandet Lejre), Slangealleen 2, Lejre, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Land of legends has 1 or 2 cafés
- 5 Restaurant Herthadalen, Slangealleen 1, 4320 Lejre (bus 233 (only in the summer)), ☎ . reduced opening hours.
- 6 Restaurant Fasaneriet, Skottehusvej 12, 4320 Lejre (bus 233 (only in the summer)), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. pricy.
- 7 Restaurant Madstedet (Pizzaria), Gl Ringstedvej 2 A, 4330 Hvalsø, ☎ . 12AM-21PM. pizza.
- 8 Hvalsø Spisehus, Hovedgaden 21, 4330 Hvalsø, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. closed saturday and monday. low to mid-range.
- 9 Luccas Cafe & Pizzaria, Hovedgaden 18, 4330 Hvalsø, ☎ . 11AM-10PM. low.
- 10 Cafetten (Pizza and Café), Jernbanevej 1, 4330 Hvalsø, ☎ . low.
- Roskilde. Roskilde har a number of sleeping options from the Youth Hostel to a number of Hotels in varying price ranges
- Outdoors. There are a few shelters along the Skjoldunga trail and in Boserup forest. Booking required - see the website
- Svogerslev Kro, Svogerslev Hovedgade 45, 4000 Roskilde (bus 201A), ☎ , e-mail: Kontakt@svogerslevkro.dk. mid-range.