Solok is on the Trans Sumatra Highway, 64 km from Padang and 76 km from Bukittinggi. The town has some fine examples of Minangkabau architecture with hornshaped roofs and outer walls of wood, completely carved and painted in brilliant colours. 60 km from Solok are the twin lakes ( Danau Di Atas and Danau Di Bawah ), which are becoming popular as holiday resorts. Cool mountain air and beautiful landscapes, with impressive thea plantations as far as you can see, have made this spot extraordinary. One of the lakes, set only 1 km apart, is on a slightly higher elevation than the other. The spot offers an impressive panorama of the surrounding countryside and offers excellent opportunities for camping and hiking.
- 1 Bung Hatta Grand Forest Park (Taman Hutan Raya Bung Hatta). A botanical garden that covers 70,000 ha, with a rare collection of flora and fauna, situated on the way to Solok, about 300-1,000 m above sea level. The cool mountain air and panoramic views make this area a popular resort for both young and old. Monkeys and other animals can be found here, and they are protected by the park garden. Transportation to Taman Hutan Raya Bung Hatta is easy as it lies on the highway to Solok.
- 2 Taman Rekreasi Pulau Belibis, Kelurahan Kampung Jawa (3km from the city center). Pulau Belibis is a tourist area that is supported by several tourist objects such as the Pramuka Park and the Ampang Kualo Horse Arena. In this area there is a lake filled with a flock of the Grouse (Bellibis). There is also fishing area, bird park and children's playground.
- Pepes bilih Singkarak
- Gulai ayam hitam (Black chicken curry)
- Pangek Sasau (Acid or spicy acid cuisine with Sasau fish)
- Ampiang Dadiah (Fermented buffalo milk)
- Kalio baluik tapak leman
- Galamai karucuik
- Samba lado masiek patai cino (Balado-style Chinese patay)
- Panyiaram pisang
- Randang pangicuah
- Balado cangkuak karupuak jangek.
Telephone area code for Solok city is 0755.
- Kerinci Seblat National Park, Sumatra’s largest national park. It consists of a 345-km-long stretch of mountainous highlands in Bukit Barisan.