(Redirected from Somnath)
Veraval-Somnath is a city on the west coast of India in the Junagadh district in the state of Gujarat. The Somnath Temple located in the Prabhas Kshetra near Veraval is the most sacred of the twelve Jyotirlings (lingas of light) of the God Shiva.
Somnath is 465 km. from Ahmedabad and is connected by rail and road. At present, Jet Airways operates passenger flight from Bombay to Diu every day except Thursday, from where it is a further 95km to Somnnath. There is a night train from Ahmedabad to Veraval station. Somnath also has a railway station but has very few direct trains to major Indian cities.
Somnath trust organises daily twice "Somnath tirth Darshan" local sight seeing. Bus starts near the gate of Somnath Temple -10am and 3pm. ₹20/- per seat. It covers Golokdham tirth, Sharada Peeth, Triveni Sangam and Bhalka teerth in 2-3 hours. Visit the Bhalka Theeth. This is the place where Lord Krishna was hit by a hunter named Jara and then Lord Krishna walked a few steps and took his journey to Nijdham from the banks of the river Hiran.
- Somnath Jyotirlinga Temple, one of the 12 Jyotirlinga temples dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- The Gitamandir and Laxminarayan mandir are located in Dehotsarg campus. The divine message of Bhagwan Shree Krishna in the form of Shrimad Bhagwat Geeta is carved here on eighteen marble pillars. Laxminarayan Mandir houses divine shreevigraha of Bhagwan Laxminarayan.
- Shree Parshuram Temple. This is a sacred spot on the holy banks of Triveni where Bhagwan Parshuram conducted his long penance and he was relieved from the curse of Kshatriya killings by Bhagwan Somnath. Divine Leela Parshuram is perpetuated here by a beautiful Parshuram Temple and two ancient kunds.
- Treeveni Sangam Snanghat. The holy confluence of the three rivers Hiran, Kapila and Saraswati and their sangam with the ocean is a very sacred moksha tirtha for Hindus. The bathing facilities are being renovated by Shree Somnath Trust with the assistance of the State Government.
- Shree Shashibhushan Mahadev and Bhidbhanjan Ganapatiji. The holy temple of Shashibhushan is located at a distance of 4 km from the Somnath-Veraval highway with a beautiful sea-shore. The Jara poacher is said to have taken aim from this spot while shooting an arrow towards Bhagwan Shree Krishna. The ancient Somnath Poojacharya Shri Bhav Brihaspati is said to have built this temple. Bhagwan Shashibhushan with Bhidbhanjan (Saviour form of) Ganesh is worshipped here with traditional spiritual traditions.
- Shree Veneshwar Mahadev Temple. The devotional episode of the princess “Veni” is depicted in the novel by Shri K.M.Munshi. The temple was outside of the fort wall of Prabhaspatan at the time of holy war with Gazani.The soldiers of Gazani attempted an abduction of “Veni” who regularly visited the temple to offer her services to Shiva. The traditions maintain that the Shivling was spontaneously divided and the princess buried in it. The Shiv temple here is knows as “Veneshwar” temple after the fond memory of divine episode of Veni.
Timing for Darshan at Somnath Temple : 6.00am to 9.00pm Timing for Aarti : 7.00 am, 12.00 Noon and 7.00 pm
- Jay Somnath Sound and Light Show : 8.00 pm to 9.00 pm
Visit the Somnath Temple
Watch the Sound and Light Show at the temple, truly an amazing experience. They charge ₹20 per head for adults and kids are charged ₹10.
Nothing much to buy here except for some photos of Lord Somnath which is available in the temple. There are a few people near the Bus Stand who sell some Handmade items like dolls etc, which are good.
There aren't many places to eat except the Somnath Trust Run Prasadam Hotel and Bhabha Hotel near the temple. Lilavathi Bhojanalya and Bhojanalaya near temple (both run by Trust) are good and maintained well.
You can find a couple of shops on the bylanes near the temple and a few in the Complex opposite to the temple which are very very basic.
There is a Amul Counter near the Shopping Complex where you can get Dairy Products of Amul ranging from Chacch (Buttermilk) to Choclates to Ice-Creams.
Alcoholic Drinks are banned here. So do not expect places which offer alcohol in Somnath.
Pilgrims can avail the guest house facilities of Shree Somnath Trust. The trust maintains a VIP Guesthouse, eighteen other guest houses and an economical dormitory. The total number of rooms in the trust guest houses are in excess of 200.
Guest house prices start From ₹350 to ₹1200. For people travelling in groups, Dharmashala & Sanskritik Bhavan are available at nominal prices. No booking by telephone. First come first serve.
» Contact for Booking : Shree Somnath Trust, Somnath Prabhas Patan - 362 268 District : Junagadh, Gujarat. Ph. No. : +91-2876-231212