Sonthofen is a s small city with 21,000 citizens which was elected Alpine City 2005. thumb Sonthofen is an excellent base for the further exploration of the Oberallgäu. Prices are lower than in Oberstdorf or Bad Hindelang which are located closer to the Alps, but can be reached within 30 minutes by train or car.
- 1 Sonthofen Station. From München there is a train every hour which takes about 2:40 hours to reach Sonthofen. From Stuttgart there is a train every hour which takes about 2:45 hours to reach Sonthofen. From Lindau there is a train every hour which takes about 1:05 hours to reach Sonthofen.
From north you take the Autobahn until Kempten and then take the B19 until you reach Sonthofen. During peak season there is often traffic jams on the B19.
From west you take the B308 to Sonthofen. This road passes the Paradies (Lookout Point) and you might need snow chains after heavy snowfall during winter (announced in traffic radio).
- 1 Museum der Schirme (Umbrella museum), Bahnhofstraße 2, ☏ .
- Museum of local history (Heimathaus Sonthofen), Sonnenstraße 1.
- 2 Erzgruben, Grüntenstraße 26,87545 Burgberg im Allgäu, ☏ . Mines
- Klausentreiben: 4–6 December annually. Claw and horn costumed men bringing Christmas gifts and plenty of noise
- [dead link] Egga-Spiel: . performed every third year (last time 2015) around the end of carnival (late February/early March) (date needs fixing)
- Brauereigasthof Hirsch.
- Pizzeria Da Zaza, Richard-Wagner-Straße 18, ☏ . Closed on Wednesday.
- Schiff, Illerstraße 26, Blaichach.
- Kraftwerk, Stadionweg 12. Tu 21-4 Uhr; F,Sa 22.00 - 5.00. Disco
- Barfly, Marktstraße 4, basement. 12.00-1.00; Fr & Sa until 3.00. Independent/Alternative Rock
- Barino, Freibadstraße 14. Su-Th 11 AM until 3 PM; Fr-Sa 11AM-4PM.. Cocktailbar
- 1 IllerCamping, Sinwagstraße.
- 2 Gasthof Traube, Grüntenstraße 11, ☏ .
- 3 Gasthof Pension Sonne, Am Anger 2, ☏ .
- 4 Hotel Deutsches Haus, Schnitzerstraße 3, ☏ .
- 5 Hotel Sonnenklause, Hinang 48, ☏ .
- 6 Hotel Kaisers - das kleine Stadthotel, Hermann-von-Barth-Str. 4, ☏ .