- For other places with the same name, see Southport (disambiguation).
Try to hunt out the old village to the north with a couple of great pubs and places to eat.
Take a train into Liverpool to see the sights. Spend time walking under the covered Victorian canopy which stretches almost the entire length of Lord St. This means you can shop in the dry whatever the weather. Visit the many parks, such as the botanic gardens all landscaped in the high Victorian style, and still keeping their charm.
- 1 Ainsdale Sand Dunes National Nature Reserve, Ainsdale. national nature reserve.
- 2 Meols Hall. Manor house, although dating back 12th century mostly built in the 1960s.
- 3 Southport Model Railway Village.
Southport is famed for its endless golf courses, the Flower Show, coastal views and outdoor events. The area is home to one of the biggest international jazz festivals and puts on air shows each year. With over 14 golf courses in its proximity, the town is a perfect place to go for a golfing weekend. Essentially you never run out of things to do in Southport. There is always something on in the town and the relaxing atmosphere make it one of the most friendly and welcoming places around.
Lord Street is a must for all shoppers and boasts all the big High Street names. The area around the railway station is also good for shopping. The Old Barnyard Interiors are based on the first floor of The Royal Arcade on Lord Street, offering design-led gifts, vintage interiors and hand painted furniture. They are also stockists of Frenchic furniture paint. fb.me/theoldbarnyard
The Curzon on Lord Street is good and well established.
Generally the choice of places to eat is good and is not confined only to Lord Street.
For visitors it has to be Lord Street again!
Due to the considerable growth in tourism in the Southport area the demand for affordable and luxury accommodation in the past decade has increased significantly. This has lead to a sudden influx in new developments and old buildings being converted to new ones. New developments include the Southport Marine Park which will house a brand new hotel.
Accommodation in the area mainly consists of bed and breakfasts and are situated close to the waterfront. This makes them attractive prospects for tourists as they can get great views and affordable prices. Southport is also home to several luxury 5 star hotels which cater mainly for business travellers.
- The Vincent Hotel, 98 Lord St, PR8 1JR, ☏ . the old ABC cinema on Lord Street has been converted into a luxury Hotel
- Ambassador Townhouse. Awarded Merseyside Guest Accommodation of the Year 2009-10 and recognised as within the Top 5 B&Bs in the Northwest of England
- Seaview Guest House, 28 Bath St, PR9 0DA, ☏ .
- Sunnyside Bed and Breakfast, 47 Bath St, PR9 0DP, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. B&B in Southport.
In Southport, youths causing anti-social behavior is a common problem, often outside abandoned or boarded-up shops, and drunken behavior is common. Ignore these youths. Merseyside Police is tackling the problem.
Theft of items from vehicles is another major problem - especially in a tourist resort such as this, so use a car park like the Tulketh Street one over on-street parking if you can.