Homesteading in Spruce Grove started in 1879.
Spruce Grove is 14 km (9 mi) west of Edmonton, take Highway 16 (Yellowhead Highway) or Highway 16A. Highway 16 is a controlled access highway and passes along the northern city boundary, take exits 360 or 363.
Edmonton Transit System offers three commuter transit routes into Spruce Grove from Edmonton on weekends, but only in early morning and afternoons (adult fare $6.25, April 2018).
You can use two of the Edmonton Transit System bus routes within Spruce Grove for $2.75 (April 2018). The city also has a network of trails for those opting to walk and bike.
It is advisable to bring a car, as public transport is sporadic (and only operates in weekdays and rush hours).
The major roads around Spruce Grove mostly reflects the Dominion survey, with roads placed in regular intervals. Most major roads aside from Highway 16A or the Yellowhead Highway are four-lane roads, either divided or not. The downtown (City Centre) follows a rough grid, with streets slightly curved in line with Highway 16A and the Canadian National (CN) line through town. Roads in the majority of neighbourhoods are full of curves and dead ends, characteristic of suburban cities.
- Horizon Stage Performing Arts Centre, 1001 Calahoo Rd, ☏ . Horizon Stage hosts many plays and acts throughout the year, and a lot of community theatre.
- The Spruce Grove Art Gallery, 120 Railway Ave (in the Melcor Cultural Centre), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 10AM-5PM. Operated by the Allied Arts Council of Spruce Grove. The gallery hosts ongoing shows for original art created by its members, made up of artists from mainly the Spruce Grove, Stony Plain and Parkland County area.
- 1 Spruce Grove Grain Elevator Museum, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. May-Sep: Tu-Sa 9AM-3PM. Built in 1958, the Grain Elevator was in operation until 1995 when it was due to be demolished. Ag Society volunteers stepped in and prevented the demolition. It is now maintained as an operating museum. It is the last remaining wooden Grain Elevator on the CN Rail line west of Edmonton. Wheelchair accessible. You must call to arrange a tour. $5 cash or cheque.
- [dead link] The Ranch, 52516 Range Rd, ☏ . 262 Spruce Grove. (Public: 5708 yards from the white tees, 6100 from the blues, 6506 from the golds, par 71) The Ranch is a short drive west of Edmonton, set in a quiet and undeveloped area that combines a number of level "prairie" fairways with some beautiful multi-tiered ravine holes. It's a challenging layout, though by no means unfair, and the course concludes with three attractive water holes cut out of the forest.
- The TransAlta Tri Leisure Centre, 221 Jennifer Heil Way. M-F 5AM-10PM, Sa Su 6AM-9PM. A pool, soccer fields, a gymnasium, workout gym, and ice rinks.
- Heritage Grove Trail. Bike trails winding throughout the city, where bike riders can ride for hours through lush forest.
- 1 Westland Market Mall, 70 McLeod Ave, ☏ . M-F 9:30AM-9PM, Sa 9:30AM-5:30PM, Su noon-5:00 PM. Clothing, jewellery, electronics, books, music. Staples Business Depot, Shoppers Drug Mart and Sport Mart.
- King Street Mall, 420 King St, ☏ .
- Jack's Drive In, 127 First Ave, ☏ . M-F 8AM–11PM, Sa Su 10AM–10PM. It is known for its many flavours of ice cream and delicious burgers. Hot dogs, wraps and breakfasts are also on the menu.
- The Loft Restaurant at Sandy View Farms, 155 South Avenue, ☏ . M-F 7:30AM-2PM, Sa 7AM-2PM, Su 8AM-2PM. Homestyle breakfast and lunch.
- Tandoori Grill, 213 Calahoo Rd, ☏ . M-Th 11:30AM- 9:30 PM, F Sa 11:30AM-10PM, Su noon-9PM. Indian, vegetarian friendly, vegan options. Mains $14-20.
- Travelodge Spruce Grove, 20 Nelson Drive, ☏ . Free parking, continental breakfast, and WiFi. Onsite fitness center. Rooms include refrigerators, microwaves, and work desks. Suites and accessible rooms are available. From $125.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Spruce Grove, 201 Jennifer Heil Way, toll-free: . From $115.
|Routes through Spruce Grove|
|Jasper / Grande Prairie via ← Stony Plain ←||W E||→ Edmonton → Lloydminster|
|Merges with ← Stony Plain ←||W E||→ Edmonton → END|