Squaw Valley is located off California State Route 89, about 12 miles south of Truckee at the intersection of CA-89 and Interstate 80. The closest city with a major airport is Reno, Nevada, about 32 miles east of Truckee on I-80.
Squaw Valley Road is the main arterial. It runs roughly east-west and feeds into California State Route 89 at its eastern end.
- 1 Squaw Valley, ☏ . On highway 89 between Tahoe City and interstate 80; Squaw is possibly the most well-known resort in all of California, and the setting for the recent book Squallywood. A complete skier's paradise, Squaw is a magazine favorite for its varied terrain, huge size and massive high-speed lift system; and a former Olympic village. Its oversized reputation has a downside: crowds that even a on mountain the size of Squaw can swamp the intermediate lifts and result in lines.
- G.N.A.R.. A way of life for many of the skiers at Squaw, G.N.A.R. is a points-based game whereby each skier gains points by skiing particular lines through Squaw's famous terrain, with many interesting bonus points available. Grab a copy of Squallywood if you are up to the challenge of some of the best lines Squaw has to offer, and a great game while you're at it. Never forget: You are the best skier on the mountain, and everyone wants to know that.
- Graham's. Located near the mountain parking lot, delicious food, extensive wine list, ambiance is a little more staid, but recommended none-the-less.
- PlumpJack. One of the oldest and most established restaurants it serves typically Californian food Plumpjack has a sister restaurant in San Francisco, as you might expect though it is quite expensive.
- Auld Dubliner, 1850 Village S Rd, ☏ . The place for a perfect pint of Guinness, this real Irish pub was built in Ireland, dismantled, shipped over and reassembled. As one might imagine, it offers a wide selection of whisky and live Celtic music.
- Squaw Valley Lodge, 201 Squaw Peak Rd. P.O. Box 2364, Olympic Valley, CA 96146, toll-free: . Squaw Valley Lodge is an all condominium suites hotel resort.
- Plumpjack Squaw Valley Inn, 1920 Squaw Valley Rd, toll-free: . Squaw Valley Inn has 58 rooms and suites with amazing views. Shop at their Fashion Boutique and take their wine seminars.
- Resort at Squaw Creek, 400 Squaw Creek Rd, ☏ . Olympic Valley. A premier all season mountain resort featuring a luxury spa facility, ski packages, championship golf courses, vacation rentals, and a dedicated chairlift.
- Other resorts and parts of Lake Tahoe
- Reno, the closest large city
- Sacramento, the capital of California