Europe > Nordic countries > Denmark > Zealand > South Zealand > Stevns
Stevns is a peninsula on southeastern Zealand. It is dominated by farmlands.
The municipality of Stevns is located on a peninsula between Køge bay and Faxe bay, and it comprises of several small towns and villages: 1 Strøby Egede, 2 Store Heddinge, 3 Hårlev, 4 Rødvig and tiny, but perhaps the best known 5 Højerup. Højerup old church collapsed partially over the cliff in 1928 due to erosion. It is the same cliff, Stevns Cliff (Stevns Klint), that represents a classical geological site.
It offers an unique evidence of the meteorite impact off the coast of Mexico’s Yucatán peninsula, causing global mass extinction 65 millions years ago, with dinosaurs being the best known victims. This event visible in the sediment profile in Stevns Cliff marks the Cretaceous–Tertiary (K–T) boundary. It has been inscribed as an UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Rødvig Harbour
- Højerup Old Church, Højerup Bygade 30 (Højerup, the Trampesti passes the church). This old church is not in use because it is too close to the edge of the cliffs. The sea took the quire in 1928, but it is still open to visitors. Enjoy the amazing view from the balcony free.
- Højerup church
- Stevns Museum
- Gjorslev Castle, Gjorslevvej 20,Holtug, Store Heddinge, ☏ . 14. century castle. In general the castle is not open to the public. But you can visit the small park and have a view of the castle. During the year there are events at the castle, such as markets and concerts. the park is free, events ca DKK 200.
- 1 Stevns Klint. white chalk cliff
- Trampestien Go for a walk on the stomping path along the cliffs. It takes you by Højerup Kirke, Stevns Museum, Stevns Fortress (Cold War Museum).
- Rødvig Fisk, Havnepladsen 12, ☏ . Fish Monger at the harbour, that also will make you inexpensive meals of their fresh seafood.
- Rødvig Kro og Badehotel, Østersøvej 8, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Good food in nice surroundings Three course meal for DKK 250.
- Gjorslev Bøgeskov Traktørsted, Bøgeskovvej 8, Holtug (At Bøgeskov Harbor), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. May-Jun, Tu-Th: noon-4pm, Fr-Sa: noon-10pm; Jul-Aug 15, Tu-Sa: noon-10pm; Aug 16-31, Fr: 6pm-10pm, Sa: noon-10pm, Su: noon-4pm; Sep, Sa: noon-10pm, Su: noon-4pm; Oct Sa-Su: noon-10pm. Summer restaurant beautifully located between the beechwood forest and the coast. DKK 200 all you can eat buffet.