From Vienna: departure Haag From Salzburg: departure Sattledt From Graz: with the Pyhrnautobahn - departure Klaus
Public transport with city buses or walking because Steyr is very small and most locations are in walking distance
Steyr has a beautiful, historical city centre. On the main square there are many old buildings from different epochs, for example the Bummerlhaus, the town's landmark. It is one of Austria's best preserved secular Gothic buildings - a part of the building dates back to the 13th century.
- Parish Church (pfarrkirche)
- St. Mary Church
- St. Michaels Baroque Church
- Pilgrimage Church of Christkindl (5 km from Steyr)
Castles and monuments
- Castle Lamberg: Lamberg Castle first appeared in historical documents as "Stirapurhc" in 980. The precious sandstone figures can be admired in the castle´s inner courtyard. The old Lamberg Castle Library can also be visited with a guide.
- Castle Voglsang
- Werndl memorial: As the economic conditions in Steyr at the close of the 19th century were suffering, the establishment of the Austrian Rifle Factory, by Josef Werndl (1831 - 1889) was a vital and important addition to the region's financial situation.
- Bruckner memorial
- Town Hall: Building of the Rococo era, erected by Gotthard Hayberger, mayor and judge of Steyr, from 1765 to 1778. The balustrade depicts four Baroque female figures representing the then authorities of town: Justitia (sword and scales), criminal law (iron chain and ball fastened to the ankles), church patronage (incense bowl) and Roman law (holding the code of law).
- Sternhaus: It derives its name from the golden Star installed above the main entrance. The star is held by two birds of prey and represents the thriving iron industry. The angelic figures above the windows depict the five senses of man.
- Meditzhouse and Meditzcourtyard: The House boasts a lavishly decorated Baroque façade and one of Steyr´s most magnificent inner courtyards in Renaissance style.
- Museum Arbeitswelt: Wehrgrabengasse 1. Interesting exhibition: "working_world.net" - Work and Life in a Globalized World. Tel. +43 7252/77351
- City museum Steyr: Grünmarkt 26, in the Innerberger Stadl (built in 1611). Exhibition with folkloristic collections, scythe hammer, nail forge, the Petermandl knife collection, the Steinparz bird collection and arms produced by the founder of the Steyr Works, Josef Werndl, recall the heyday of the former iron city of Steyr.
- Iron clocks museum Schmollgruber: Grünmarkt 2. The oldest exhibits are church clocks (end of the 14th century), iron clocks from the baroque period, church clocks produced by Steyr church clock makers (beginning of the 20th century) as well as a water-driven church clock.
There are many interesting activities for tourists in Steyr, but the best way, to experience the city is the Nightwatchman town tour. A nightwatchman in traditional clothing with halberd and lantern carries the guests through the historic town, telling stories and tales. At the end of the tour he guides up at the parish church spire! Every Thursday and Sunday is a tour for visitors at 20:00 (Oct-Mar 18:00). Information and booking at the tourist office of Steyr: +43 7252/53229-0
Another way to explore the city - but more comfortable - is with Segways. It is very easy to learn - bend over slightly - and the Segway drives forward! Guided tours take place daily, information and booking: +43 720 / 554 721 21
- Styraburg Festival: mid-November
- Long night of museums: early October from 18:00
- Schubert Festival: mid-April – early May
- Jazzfest Steyr: late April
- Styraburg Festival: mid-May
- Long night of churches: late May
- Steyr Town Festival: late June
- "Volxmusikfest" at the quarter Steyrdorf: various dates Jul-Sep from 18:00
- Musikfestival Steyr with open-air opera at the Schlossgraben: late July - mid-August
- Pottery market at the town square: late July
The traditional shopping areas in Steyr are the "Grünmarkt" (from the main square to the town gate), the main square an the "Enge" (from the main square to the confluence of the rivers Enns and Steyr). There are many small shops and boutiques.
Opposite to the parish church is the shopping centre "Citypoint" with many shops like H&M, Esprit, New Yorker, Müller, Deichmann, etc. as well as a McDonalds, a café and a Chinese restaurant.
The book store "Ennsthaler" at the main square offers a grand variety of books about the town Steyr.
- Gasthaus Knapp am Eck, Wehrgrabengasse 15 (4400 Steyr), ☏ . next to the museum Arbeitswelt
- Youth Hostel, Josef Hafnerstraße 14, ☏ . Shower on the floor and WC, communal room with cable TV and video recorder. €14-16.
- Camping Site Forelle, Kematmüllerstr. 1a, ☏ . With a playground for children, tennis court, mini golf, water sports (canoe, sailing), situated at the cycle track Linz-Stey – Ennstal-Steyrtal.
- Hotel Mader (Hotel Mader), Stadtplatz 36, ☏ . 4-star hotel, in the old town. from €52.
Located at the entrance to the peaceful and picturesque Hintergebirge it is an ideal setting-off point for all excursions into the Kalkalpen National Park. Here the visitors can get information on hiking trails and bike routes, alpine pastures, guided national park hiking tours or mountain bike routes.