Stone County is a county in the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Wiggins is the largest and only incorporated city in the county. Aside from its close ties with the timber industry, its early 20th century past is littered with the accounts of lynchings and mob rule, though now people are generally caught up in the Pine Hill Festival in late April each year.
Being a rural community, no public transportation is available.
- 1 Flint Creek Water Park, 1216 Parkway Dr , Wiggins (On Hwy 29), ☏ . Centered around a 600-acre lake, stocked with bass, bream, crappie and catfish. Other activities include boating (rentals available), water skiing, and swimming. Flint Creek's Water Town offers multiple waterslides, including four giant ones for the adults, and is open most of the year. There is plenty of camping available in the form of tent/rv spots, cabins, and camphouses. There is also a nature trail for hikers, and a picnic area with grills and tables. On the fourth of July, the park runs its annual fireworks display. A "haunted forest" is put on every year the Saturday before Halloween.
- The Old Firehouse Museum, 117 First St N. W-Th 9AM-4PM. Wiggins history unfortunately includes a day in 1910 when about half of the town burned down, including most of the business district such as the railroad depot.
- 1 De Soto National Forest, ☏ . 170 miles of trails on the De Soto are available for hikers, ATV riders, mountain bike riders, and horse riders. Tuxachanie Trail begins about 3 miles east of U.S. Highway 49.
- The Pecan House, 441 Highway 49 (McHenry), ☏ , toll-free: , fax: . Specializing in Mississippi grown pecans, in shell and shelled, and homemade pecan candies.
- Sawmill Family Restaurant, 2205 Highway 49, ☏ .
While the county is dry, the city of Wiggins does allow the sale of beer (except on Sundays). Beer can be purchased at restaurants, but no there are no establishments which serve drinks only.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Wiggins, 1121 E Frontage Dr, ☏ . Very business-like.
|Routes through Stone County|
|Jackson ← Hattiesburg ←||N S||→ Gulfport → END|