Stralsund was founded in 1234, and was a member of the Hanseatic League and thankfully retains a lot of the architecture of its glory days. Stralsund was part of the Swedish Empire from 1648 to 1814, and was involved in the Great Northern War. Swedish king Charles XII had to escape from exile in the Ottoman Empire, and rode from Pitești to Stralsund on fourteen days. The city lies in the federal electoral district of the 2005-2021 German Chancellor, Angela Merkel.
Stralsund is about a 1h train ride or 80 minutes drive east of Rostock either using the B 105 or the A 20 (watch the speed cameras on the E 251).
Rostock is the closest airport with flights from other parts of Germany. Berlin is the closest major international airport.
There are good rail connections from major German cities such as Berlin, Hamburg and Frankfurt. During summer season additional long distance trains usual appear from many other cities. 1 Stralsund Hbf is located at Tribseer Damm 75.
A local bus network is run by VVR, with some routes extending into the outlying parts of Stralsund, and even to the island of Rügen. Buses run on weekdays, between early morning and late evening. Only limited bus services run on weekends and holidays, and no buses run overnight.
- 1 Church of St Mary's (St. Marienkirche), Marienstraße 16, ☏ . Including Human hamster wheel (to lift church bells into the towers).
- Wooden market. inside the Rathaus.
- Oceanographic Museum. With its branches: Ozeaneum, Natureum, Nautineum.
- 2 Stralsund Museum, Mönchstraße 25-28, ☏ . with several locations.
- 3 World Heritage Exhibition (Welterbe-Ausstellung), Ossenreyerstraße 1.
The local brewery is Störtebeker, readily available in most bars.
- 1 Younior Hotel, Tribseer Damm 78, ☏ . Very affordable, young guests but also adults. Offers occasions for volleyball, barbecues and various indoor activities like table tennis and pool billiard.
- 2 Haus Wullfcrona, Heilgeiststraße 30, ☏ . Special atmosphere in a baroque gable house. Individual apartments mixing old and new. Sunny courtyard and cosy restaurant.
- 3 Romantik Hotel Scheelehof, Fährstraße 23-25, ☏ . The premier hotel in Stralsund. Right at the old town, with vast spa/wellness offerings. Separate conference space. The medieval hallway with its restaurant as well as the gourmet restaurant and bar at the vaulted brick cellar are a must-see.
|Routes through Stralsund|
|Hamburg ← Greifswald ←||W E||→ Rugia → Malmö|