The town began as a hamlet for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) lines that were built in the area in 1883. The CPR named the town after one of its benefactors: Claude Bowes-Lyon, the Earl of Strathmore. The Earl's granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth – as consort to King George VI – later passed through the community on the "Royal Train" in late May 1939.
A track-laying record was made between Strathmore and Cheadle when the railway was built. In one hour, one mile (1.6 km) of steel was laid and – at the end of the ten-hour working day – the rails were laid to Cheadle, 9 miles (14 km) for a record. Efforts by the Canadian government to develop western Canada led to increases in Strathmore's population and its importance as a rail supply stop. In 1905 the CPR moved the Hamlet of Strathmore 4 miles (6.4 km) north to its current location. The CPR railway tracks are now gone, and the land has been subdivided.
Today, the town is an important agricultural community. Oil and gas exploration is also a growing interest in the area. Many residents commute daily from Strathmore to Calgary.
It is approximately 50 km (30 mi) east of the City of Calgary.
- [dead link] Rider Express, toll-free: . Bus service along the Trans-Canada Highway from Winnipeg to Vancouver, twice daily. Service from Calgary, Canmore, Lake Louise, and Banff (Alberta); Revelstoke, Salmon Arm, Kamloops, Hope, Abbotsford, and Vancouver (British Columbia); Medicine Hat, Swift Current, Moose Jaw, Regina, Whitewood, and Moosomin (Saskatchewan); and Brandon, and Winnipeg (Manitoba).
- Strathmore Stampede, Strathmore Stampede Grounds, 33 Wheatland Trail, ☏ . First weekend in August. Canada's third largest rodeo. $15-30.
- Strathmore Golf Club, 80 Wheatland Trail,, ☏ . Cross-country skiing in the winter. 18 holes $22-65, 9 holes $15-45.
- Joyland Theatre, 114 2 Avenue, ☏ . Movie theatre.
- Strathmore Pawn Collectables, 410 Lakeside Boulevard, ☏ . M-F 11AM-6PM, Sa 11AM-5PM. Used household furnishings, antiques, collectibles, show home furniture, dining room furniture, new mattresses, odd and rare collectables.
- 1 Strathmore Farmers' Market, Strathmore Exhibition Grounds, ☏ . Jun-Sep: F 3PM-6:30PM. The town of Strathmore is roughly 40 minutes east of Calgary on Hwy 1 (Trans-Canada Hwy). Indoor Mother's Day Market near the end of Apr, outdoor market every Friday from mid-June to mid-Sep, indoor Christmas market last Saturday in November.
- Strathmore Station Restaurant and Pub, 380 Ridge Rd, ☏ . Restaurant: M-F 11AM-10PM, Sa Su 9AM-10PM; pub: M-Sa 11AM-2AM, Su 2PM-midnight. Burgers, sandwiches, pizza, pasta, steak.
- Roadhouse Restaurant, 510k Hwy 1, ☏ .
- Kim's Cafe, 410 Lakeside Boulevard, ☏ . M-Sa 7:30AM-2PM. Salads, sandwiches, mains $9-13.
- [dead link] Origin Malting & Brewing Co., 60 Spruce Park Dr, ☏ . The only Brewery/Malt house/Taproom in Canada. They explain the process of farm-to-glass by taking malting barley from thrir family farm, malting it in their malting facility, and then brewing it into brews for sale in their taproom.
- Days Inn & Suites, 400 Ranch Market, ☏ , toll-free: . Free breakfast, fitness center and our pool. Each room features free high-speed internet, 32-inch flat-screen TV, a microwave, and a refrigerator. Accessible and Jacuzzi rooms are available. Pet-friendly. Free parking, with large-vehicle spaces. From $108.
- Super 8 Strathmore, 450 Westlake Road, toll-free: . Outside outlets for vehicles are included. Pet-friendly rooms. Free WiFi. Each room has a microwave, refrigerator, and access to guest laundry facilities. Free continental breakfast. Accessible and non-smoking rooms are available. From $86.
- Travelodge Strathmore, 350 Ridge Rd (at intersection with Trans Canada Hwy#1), ☏ , toll-free: . Full hot breakfast buffet and free wireless high-speed internet. Indoor saltwater pool and waterslide, and adjacent restaurant and pub. From $119.
|Routes through Strathmore|
|Banff ← Calgary ←||W E||→ Brooks → Medicine Hat|
|Camrose ← Three Hills ← Jct W E ←||N S||→ END|
|END ←||N S||→ ENDS at W S|