Sumburgh is a small village near the southern tip of Mainland in the Shetland Islands. Its main attraction is Jarlshof, continuously inhabited for 4000 years. For convenience other visitor sights and amenities in the bottom ten miles of Mainland are also described here.
By plane: See Shetland#By plane for flight connections.
By boat: a ferry sails between Fair Isle and 2 Grutness. May to Sept it sails once on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, taking 2 hr 40 min; a day trip is not possible. Every two weeks, one sailing is from Lerwick instead of Grutness.
The airport, hotel and Jarlshof are a short walk apart. You need a car to reach the further sights.
The main road crosses the airport perimeter and is briefly closed when commercial flights are landing or taking off.
- 1 Jarlshof, Sumburgh ZE3 9JN, ☏ . Apr-Sept daily 09:30-17:30. A prehistoric site with over 4000 years of human habitation. It has structures from the Neolithic, Bronze Age, Iron Age, Viking and Medieval eras. Not routinely open in winter but enquire at the hotel to see if access is possible. Adult £6, conc £4.80, child £3.60.
- 2 Sumburgh Head. Apr-Sep: daily 11:00-17:30. Oct-Mar: access by prior arrangement only (call +44 1595 694688). Lighthouse, visitor centre and Nature Reserve. Season ticket (valid from Apr-Sep): £6 adults, £4 concessions.
- 3 Old Scatness (Near the airport). mid-May - Aug. An Iron Age Broch and Village, discovered when the main road was built in the Seventies.
- 4 Quendale Watermill, Dunrossness, ZE2 9JD (4 miles north of airport), ☏ (when open), (at all other times). Mid-April - mid-Oct daily 10:00-17:00.
- 5 Crofthouse Museum, Boddam, Dunrossness ZE2 9JG (5 miles north of Sumburgh, in lane off main road), ☏ . May-Sept Tu-Su 10:00-13:00, 14:00-16:00. Small museum in restored traditional croft house. Free (donation).
- 6 Spiggie Loch and the smaller Brow Loch just south are freshwater lochs with an RSPB reserve.
See Shetland ponies.
Souvenirs are available at Jarlshof and the hotel.
Sumburgh Hotel's West Voe restaurant.
Sumburgh Hotel has a small public bar independent of the dining room. They have local beers available in bottles.
- 1 Sumburgh Hotel, ZE3 9JN, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Baronial-style small hotel with decent bar and restaurant. Near Jarlshof and airport. B&B double from £110.
Good mobile signal here because of the airport.