San Jose International Airport
The San Jose International Airport is your best bet for flying into the area.
The free Airport Flyer bus #10  at the airport connects to Santa Clara Transit Station, from which one can catch either VTA bus #22  or Caltrain  to Sunnyvale. The #22 bus line has many stops in Sunnvale along El Camino Real, from Lawrence Expressway in the east to Bernardo Avenue in the west. Caltrain stops in Sunnvale at both the Lawrence station as well as downtown Sunnyvale.
Taxi fare from San Jose Airport to Sunnyvale is approximately $27–30.
San Francisco International Airport
San Francisco is just up US 101 and offers additional options for flying in. In particular it offers more international and direct East Coast flights. CalTrain's Sunnyvale station is next to old downtown, on Evelyn Avenue just West of Murphy Street.
Caltrain has a transfer point to BART via the Millbrae Station. BART goes to San Francisco International Airport.
- Sunnyvale Caltrain Station, 121 W. Evelyn Avenue, 1-800-660-4287. Caltrain connects San Jose with San Francisco, passing through Sunnyvale.
Sunnyvale has a very good public transport system managed by Valley Transportation Authority . Bus 22 on El Camino Real is the main bus line and most other bus lines run into it. Bus 522 is an express bus which also travels on El Camino but skips a lot of stops. Additionally, the 55, 54, 53 bus routes serve other areas in Sunnyvale.
Sunnyvale has the status of bike friendly community.
- Go to the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings at the Caltrain station.
- Go to Sunnyvale Art and Wine Festival.
- Go to Wednesday night outdoor concerts during the Summer.
- Tour Yahoo! headquarters on 701 First Avenue.
- Hendy Iron works museum
- Shoreline Park in Mountain View for seeing ocean and lake birds.
- Birdwatchers will enjoy seeing the wild parrots (probably Red-masked Parakeet or Mitred Parakeet) flocks. They can sometimes be seen and heard from the Pak and Save parking lot or Las Palmas park.
- Rooster T. Feathers is a nationally recognized comedy club.
- Sunnyvale Heritage Park and Museum describes the cities growth from an early agriculture focused town to the home of many of Silicon Valley's largest and most innovative companies.
Miniature golf and arcade games can be found at Golfland USA, 855 East El Camino Real (at Wolfe Road); there are parking lots at both the El Camino Real and Wolfe Road entrances. Sunnyvale is also home to two public golf courses: the nine-hole course and driving range at Sunken Gardens at 1010 S Wolfe Rd, Sunnyvale, CA 94086, and the 18-hole Sunnyvale Municipal Golf Course at 605 Macara Ave., which is under the landing path to Moffett Field, where you can see many interesting military and some private aircraft.
On Murphy Street near the Caltrain station, many events are held during the Summer.  .
The Sunnyvale Town Center (Downtown Sunnyvale) is currently under construction (except for Macy's). The Town and Country shopping area closed in summer 2007. The Target next to the Town Center reopened in November 2009 after extensive remodeling.
Murphy Street in downtown Sunnyvale is the home of a weekly farmer's market, numerous restaurants such as Firehouse and international restaurants, coffee shops and a few small stores including a used bookstore. It also has some evening venues. A large construction project is currently underway on Murphy Street, so visitors may encounter dust and noise.
Fry's Electronics (on Arques Ave. between Wolfe Road and Lawrence Expressway) is popular with tech people for buying electronics. They also have a book store and coffee shop as well.
El Camino Real (Hwy 82), which runs north/south, is full of strip malls and has tons of shops, especially food markets and restaurants. You can find ethnic markets from India, China, Korea, Bangladesh and many other countries.
The densest concentration of restaurants is along Murphy Street and nearby, with most of the rest spread out in strip malls, particularly along El Camino Real.
- Afghani House and Kabul Restaurant Two very good, slightly upscale Afghan restaurants. Either one would be a good choice.
- Country Gourmet, 1314 Mary Ave, ☎ . Their motto, "Healthy Food & Lots of It", is a fair assessment. Tucked away in a large dead strip-mall, this restaurant has an ok basic menu of salads and sandwiches plus two freshly made soups each day. in addition, there's two breakfast specials, 5 or so lunch specials such as a sandwich made with smoked chicken, roasted onions and peppers, topped with pepper jack cheese and chipotle mayo on grilled focaccia bread. At dinner there's 6+ specials such as Grilled Half Moon Bay Salmon crusted with Fennel seed and served with tabouleh, grilled endigia, rocolla and raspberry salad with kalamata olive vinaigrette. Menu changes every Tuesday.
- Chinese food Sunnyvale has a significant Chinese population (but appears to be declining). For authentic Chinese fare, head south east of Sunnyvale into Cupertino on Wolfe Road just north of 280 and you'll see the Ranch 99 Asian Market followed by an entire mall of Asian eats and products.
- Fish Market on El Camino Real on the border of Santa Clara. Close to Lawrence Expressway.
- Hobee's' on Matilda Ave near US 101 is part of a popular local chain known for its coffee cake and breakfast but has a large lunch and dinner menu. It is very family friendly and has a good gluten free menu.
- Indian food Sunnyvale and neighboring cities are home to numerous Indian restaurants that cater to those looking for a taste of home. Dosas and other vegetarian fare can be found at Saravana Bhavan, Madras Cafe, etc. Keep an eye out for a number of chaat places (Chaat House, Chaat Corner, Chaat Cafe, etc.) that dot the strip malls along El Camino Real. Bombay Garden at Lawrence and El Camino real
- Pakistani Food Shalimar is the third of a popular chain of Pakistani restaurants that started in San Francisco. Shan is a smaller Pakistani restaurant that is an okay alternative. Both are very casual.
- Chelokababi (Wolfe near El Camino Real). A good, established Persian restaurant that has been reviewed several times in the SJ Mercury and other weekly newspapers in the area. Casual, but well-appointed.
- Bangladeshi Food There is a superb Bangladeshi restaurant named Dhaka Cafe at Pomeroy Ave on El Camino real. It has a great menu consisting of fish dishes. Very casual.
- Il Postale Good Italian food. Slightly upscale.
- Gumba's (pronounced "GUM-BAH") on Murphy Ave. Okay Italian food and pizza. Casual.
- Korean food restaurants can be found along El Camino Real between Henderson and Lawrence Expressway, but Santa Clara is more known for a larger variety of Korean restaurants.
- Palace BBQ Buffet Korean buffet on El Camino Real. Known for their awesome "cook your meat on your table" Service
- City Kabob. Indoor/outdoor seating (an enclosed patio with tons of windows on all sides) at Las Palmas Park overlooking the tennis courts. Closed Mondays. Su 11:30M-6PM, Tu-Sa 11:30AM-8PM. Somewhat hard to find.
- Siam Taste on Murphy Ave. Known for their tasty Pad Thai as well as Pannang Curry.
- St John's Grill (Lawrence near Arques). Very popular burger/brewpub spot. $10–15 but quite cheap during evening/weekend specials.
- Vito's Pizza on Reed Avenue. Watch for "Buy one, get one free" deals on certain days of the week.
- Bean Scene Cafe - Coffee shop and cafe with character on Murphy Ave. Free Wi-Fi Internet access for customers.
On Murphy Street, you will find Firehouse Brewery (a microbrewery), 2 Irish pubs (Fibbar McGee's and Scruffy Murphy's). Murphy Street is the old main street in downtown Sunnyvale.
- Corporate Inn Sunnyvale, 805 East El Camino Real, ☎ . 10 minutes from downtown attractions and restaurants, Mineta San Jose International Airport and the Convention Center.
- Domain Hotel, 1085 East El Camino Real, ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. $109 weekends/ $179 weekdays.
- Larkspur Landing Sunnyvale, 748 N. Mathilda Avenue, ☎ . This hotel offers free breakfast, laundry facility, and outdoor patio with BBQ grill.
- Maple Tree Inn, ☎ . Offers peaceful surroundings and superior service for business travel or family vacations. Features pet-friendly accommodations and plenty of dog-walking space.
- Motel 6 Sunnyvale South, ☎ , fax: +1 408 720-0630.
- Quality Inn Sunnyvale, 1280 Persian Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94089, ☎ .
- Residence Inn Sunnyvale Silicon Valley I, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: +1 408 737-9722.
- Sheraton Sunnyvale, 1100 North Mathilda Ave, ☎ , fax: +1 408 734-8276.
- St. Francis Arms - Sunnyvale, 739 E El Camino Real, Sunnyvale, California (CA) 94087, ☎ .
- TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale- Mountain View, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: +1 408 733-4600.
- Vagabond Inn Sunnyvale, 816 W. Ahwanee Ave., ☎ , fax: +1 408 734-1675. Check-in: 4:00 PM, check-out: 12:00 PM.
- Wild Palms Hotel, 910 E Fremont St. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. $89 weekends/ $129 weekdays.
- Wittle Motel, 579 South Murphy Ave, ☎ , fax: +1 408 736-8118.
Parking rates in San Francisco can go up to $30. You can park at Bart parking lots and save money:
For example: Park in Colma BART parking garage $2 all day, free weekends and round trip BART from Colma to Moscone Center would cost $6.40. Colma parking lot is less likely to fill up than Daly City Bart parking. Daily parking in on floor 3 and 4 of garage. Take exit off 280 called exit 47 for CA HWY-1 toward Pacifica/Eastmoor Ave (also called Colma Park and Ride) 430 ft, Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Mission St, 0.6 mi, right at D St, 0.1 mi, Continue on F St 220 ft, Colma BART.
Example 2: Park in Daly City BART parking for $3 all day, free weekends and round trip BART from Colma to Moscone Center would cost $5.90. Note BART runs more often from Daly City than to Colma. Daily parking in on floor 3 and 4 of garage. Take exit off 280 called exit 49A to merge onto Junipero Serra Blvd toward John Daly Blvd, right turn on John Daly Blvd (also called Daly City Park and Ride exit). Take first left on to DeLong Street and you will see one of the BART parking lots.
Example 4: Take Caltrain from Murphy Street area for $13 for 3 zone day pass. Parking fees a nominal at garage.
|Routes through Sunnyvale|
|San Francisco ← Mountain View ←||N S||→ Santa Clara → San Jose|
|END ← Mountain View ←||N S||→ Cupertino → San Jose|