|Climate chart (explanation)|
The town of Superior is in a narrow valley near the Clark Fork River. There are high mountains on both sides of the town, since Superior is inside the Rocky Mountain Range.
Superior has a variable but harsh climate with cold winters and hot summers. For weather, the best months are spring and early fall, when highs are in the 60s and 70s (Fahrenheit) (15-25 °C) and lows are above freezing temperature. Precipitation is about 17 in (430 mm) of rain and about a foot (30 cm) of snow each year.
- 1 Mineral County Airport, 415 Aileron Way (Southeast of town; can be accessed via Mullan Road East), ☏ . This is a very basic airport that is close to Superior.
The Superior can be accessed via I-90, which connects the town from the east and west.
To get around Superior, think of the town as having several different districts:
- The main body of Superior, which is on a grid that is almost exactly following north, south, east, and west. This where Durango's restaurant and the Big Sky Motel can be found.
- Next is a region of Superior called Oliverville, which is in the southeast of Superior. In Oliverville, the grid is turned until the streets are diagonal in comparison with north, south, east, and west; this puts them parallel with I-90.
- The part of Superior that is north of the Clark Fork River, the main road in which is Mullan Road. There are two bars and a motel in this small section of the town. A road bridge connects this area with the main body of Superior.
- This is an area with some gas stations and expresso cafe stops that are all alongside Diamond Road, which is south of I-90.
- Last is a village that is considered part of Superior but is actually a quite separate community a few miles downstream along the Clark Fork River. The village is known as "Spring Gulch" and is the location of Sheep Mountain Lodge.
The main body of Superior is only a few hundred yards long and about a hundred yards wide, making it easy to get around. There are also two walkways on the bridge that goes to the northern part of town.
See and do
- 1 Clark Fork River, River Street (Viewable from many roads, including River Street, where a bridge crosses the river, and I-90). This long, fairly wide river merges with the Bitterroot River near Missoula about 50 miles (80 km) southeast of Superior. It then flows past Superior and on to Lake Pend Orielle, when it becomes the Pend Orielle River and eventually merges with the Columbia River.
- 2 Diamond and Cliff Lakes, Forest Road 7843 (take the Southside Road exit off I-90 and take Southside Road south to Dry Creek Road (Forest Route 342); follow Forest Route 342 into the mountains and take a left onto Route 7843; a lot of the route is unpaved). Although the drive to the lake is hard, the views at the top are beautiful and are quite similar to the views at Bouchard Lake. There is a small parking lot at the lake. There is also a larger lake, Cliff Lake, just up the valley from Diamond Lake. The top of the cliff that is near Cliff Lake is the Montana-Idaho border.
- 1 Castles (Family Foods), 302 River Street, ☏ . M-F 7AM - 5PM; Sa 8AM - 2PM.
- 2 Jackie's Flowers & Gifts, 180 River Street (Intersection of River Street and Second Avenue), ☏ . M-F 7AM - 5PM; Sa 8AM - 2PM.
- 1 Durango's, 104 4th Ave E (Intersection of Fourth Avenue and Cedar Avenue). There is a gas station near the Durango's restaurant.
- 2 Whipped Up Cafe, 100 River Street, ☏ . Tu-Su 7AM - 7PM.
There is a brewery near Superior that supplies alcoholic drinks to the local bars.
- 1 Big Sky Motel, 104 4th Ave E (just off of Interstate 90, Exit 47). Services include TVs, heating, air condition, internet access, and continental breakfast. Pets are allowed in designated rooms, additional fees apply.
- 2 Hilltop Motel, 79 Mulligan Road West (Northern side of the Clark Fork River), ☏ .
- 3 Sheep Mountain Lodge, 264 Sverdsten Lane (In Spring Gulch, a few miles downstream along the Clark Fork River), ☏ .
There is a post office on Third Avenue.
There is a pharmacy called the 2 Mineral Pharmacy on River Street in downtown Superior, and there is a library on the eastern side of town.
|Routes through Superior|
|Coeur d'Alene ← Wallace ←||W E||→ Alberton → Missoula|