Surat Thani (often just "Surat") is the largest province of Southern Thailand. Surat Thani means City of Good People, the title given to the city by King Vajiravudh (Rama VI). It is a gateway to the islands of Thailand's Gulf Coast: Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan, and Ko Tao are much-visited destinations, as well as Ang Thong National Marine Park and the famous Khao Sok National Park.
- 1 Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Talad Mai Road, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ . M-F 8:30AM-4:30PM.
The TAT office on Talad Mai Road is the only government tourism office on mainland Surat Thani. TAT has brochures and maps for both local tourist destinations as well as those in other provinces. Clean public toilets are also available free of charge. TAT does not sell anything, they are only there to promote tourism.
The other tourism offices around the city (like the one at the airport and the ones near Talad Kaset 1 and 2) are not official tourism offices and will try to sell you tourism packages or ferry tickets. Do not buy anything from these private tourism offices as they are usually offered at an inflated price. For ferry tickets, only buy them directly from the ferry operator or from Phantip Travel.
- 1 Surat Thani International Airport (URT IATA), 73 Moo 3, Hua Toei, Phunphin district (26km west of Surat Thani City Centre).
Connect by bus or rental car (buy ticket and rent in the airport) to town. Phantip Travel has bus service connecting all flights to Surat Thani. Phantip Travel (Tel. +66 77 272230, +66 77 282331) is on Taladmai Rd. Price one-way is 100 baht.
If you're heading to Ko Samui, Seatran Ferry and other companies offer a bus/ferry service from the airport to Nathon Pier on Ko Samui for 400 baht (Aug 2017). It's also possible to book this trip with Air Asia, even as late as during the plane ride (they also use Seatran ferry). Travel time is three hours. Buses leave the airport six times per day.
- Thai Smile, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Flights from Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi Airport).
- 2 Surat Thani Railway Station (สถานีรถไฟสุราษฎร์ธานี), Phunphin District, Surat Thani.
The Surat Thani train station, despite its name, is in Phun Phin, about 12 km west of the town centre. Most comfortable are the overnight trains from Bangkok, which arrive in early morning. There are always many who try to catch the tourists and sell them trips to Surat or the islands directly. Usually the most aggressive sellers are the most expensive. However, it's not a big problem to reach the city itself from the railway station. Municipal buses depart the train station for Surat Thani every 30 minutes and cost 20 baht, though the service seems to stop around 5PM. After that, the only option is a taxi, the drivers of which will come in to the station to try and find passengers. If you go outside and turn immediately to the left, there is a taxi stand with taxis charging a fixed price of 140 baht to Surat Thani. The price is clearly indicated on a printed canvas sign attached high up.
There are 3 main bus & coach terminals in Muang Surat Thani: Talad Kaset 1, Talad Kaset 2, and Surat Thani Bus Terminal.
Talad Kaset 1 and Talad Kaset 2 are across from each other, off of Talad Mai Road in the city centre, whereas Surat Thani Bus Terminal is outside of the city off of Highway 401, behind CentralPlaza. Talad Kaset 1 is for local buses to nearby districts. Talad Kaset 2 is for coaches and buses to further districts and popular tourist destinations, such as Khanom, Khao Sok, Krabi, Phanga, Phuket, and Hat Yai. The Surat Thani Bus Terminal is for longer haul rides, such as overnight buses to Bangkok.
- 3 Talad Kaset 1 (Downtown Transportation Hub), Talad Mai Road, Muang Surat Thani. For local buses to nearby districts.
- 4 Talad Kaset 2 (Downtown Transportation Hub), Talad Mai Road, Muang Surat Thani. For coaches and buses to further districts and popular tourist destinations.
- Terminal 1: Suratthani – Phuket
- Terminal 2: Suratthani – Trung
- Terminal 3: Suratthani – Khanom
- Terminal 4: Suratthani – Bannaderm
- Terminal 5: Suratthani – BanSong
- Terminal 6: Suratthani – Bang Sawan
- Terminal 7: Suratthani – Phasang
- Terminal 8: Suratthani – Krabi
- Terminal 9:
- Terminal 10:
- Terminal 11:
- Terminal 12: Suratthani – Chaiya
- Terminal 13: Suratthani – Phuket
- Terminal 14: Suratthani – Phuket
- Terminal 15: Suratthani – Hat Yai
- Terminal 16: Suratthani – Hat Yai
- Terminal 17: Suratthani – Phan-Nga
- Terminal 18: Suratthani – Phuket
- Terminal 19: Suratthani – Krabi
- Terminal 20: Suratthani – Ranong
- Terminal 21: Suratthani – Kian Sa
- Terminal 22: Suratthani – Khao Sok
- Terminal 23: Suratthani – Thungsong
- Terminal 24: Suratthani – Koh Lanta
- 5 Suratthani Bus Terminal (บขส - pronounced: Baw Kaw Saw), Wat Pradu, Muang Surat Thani. For longer haul rides.
The main transportation provider in Southern Thailand is Phantip Travel (pronounced “pun-tip”). They are licensed by both the Department of Land Transportation and Department of Civil Aviation and have been in operation in Surat Thani since the early 1970s. They also hold the government contract for the downtown transportation hub. Their coaches are easily identifiable. Their minivans are white with green Thai writing. Look for the green “(1970)” above the back passenger window and the logo “Puntip (1970)” on the front doors.
- 6 Phantip Office - Suratthani Town Branch, 293/6-8 Talad Mai Road, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Surat Thani (Town) – Khao Sok (2.5 hrs, 200 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Koh Lanta (6 hrs, 550 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Koh Phangan (3.3 hrs, 350 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Koh Samui (3 hrs, 250 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Ao Nang (4.1 hrs, 450 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Koh Phi Phi (5.3 hrs, 550 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Krabi (3 hrs, 250 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Phuket (5 hrs, 195 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Koh Phang Nga (3.3 hrs, 150 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Railay (4.3 hrs, 600 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Ratchaprapha Dam (2 hrs, 200 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Raja Ferry, Donsak Pier (1.3 hrs, 150 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Seatran Ferry, Donsak Pier (1.3 hrs, 150 baht)
- Surat Thani (Town) – Khanom (1.5 hrs, 200 baht)
- 7 Phantip Office - Surat Thani Airport Branch, Surat Thani International Airport (Ground Floor, beside exit), ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Surat Thani (Airport) – Khao Sok (2 hrs, 250 baht)
- Surat Thani (Airport) – Koh Phangan (4.3 hrs, 500 baht)
- Surat Thani (Airport) – Koh Samui (3.3 hrs, 400 baht)
- Surat Thani (Airport) – Ratchaprapha Dam (1.3 hrs, 250 baht)
- Surat Thani (Airport) – Koh Tao (6 hrs, 900 baht)
- Surat Thani (Airport) – Raja Ferry, Donsak Pier (2 hrs, 250 baht)
- Surat Thani (Airport) – Seatran Ferry, Donsak Pier (2 hrs, 250 baht)
- 8 Phantip Office - Surat Thani Train Station Branch, Surat Thani International Airport (Ground Floor, beside exit), ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Surat Thani (Train Station) – Khao Sok (3 hrs, 200 baht)
- Surat Thani (Train Station) – Koh Lanta (6 hrs, 650 baht)
- Surat Thani (Train Station) – Koh Phangan (5.3 hrs, 400 baht)
- Surat Thani (Train Station) – Koh Samui (3.3 hrs, 280 baht)
- Surat Thani (Train Station) – Ao Nang (4.3 hrs, 400 baht)
- Surat Thani (Train Station) – Koh Phi Phi (6.3 hrs, 650 baht)
- Surat Thani (Train Station) – Krabi (3 hrs, 250 baht)
- Surat Thani (Train Station) – Phuket (5 hrs, 200 baht)
- Surat Thani (Train Station) – Ratchaprapha Dam (3.3 hrs, 200 baht)
- Surat Thani (Train Station) – Raja Ferry, Donsak Pier (2 hrs, 180 baht)
- Surat Thani (Train Station) – Seatran Ferry, Donsak Pier
There are 3 main ferry companies that operate from mainland Surat Thani to the islands: Lomprayah, Seatran, and Raja.
There are only 2 ferry piers in Muang Surat Thani: Tapee Pier, which Lomprayah’s High Speed Catarman operates from, and Bandon Pier, which is for nightboats only. Seatran Pier and Raja Pier are both located in Don Sak district, 65km (40mi) east of Surat Thani City Centre.
- 9 Bandon Pier (Night Boat Pier), Talat, Muang Surat Thani.
- 10 Tapee Pier, Bang Kung, Muang Surat Thani. Used by Lomprayah
- 11 Seatran Ferry Pier, Donsak District, Surat Thani.
- 12 Raja Ferry Pier, Donsak District, Surat Thani.
- 13 Bang Num Jerd Pier, Donsak District, Surat Thani. Used by P&T Samui Group
- 14 Laem Thuat Pier, Donsak District, Surat Thani. Used by Lomprayah for the slow ferry.
- Lomprayah. Lomprayah High Speed Catamaran provides service from Muang Surat Thani and Donsak to Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao, Koh Nanguan, and Angthong National Marine Park
- Seatran. Seatran Ferry provides service from Surat Thani to Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao.
- Raja Ferry. Raja Ferry provides service from Surat Thani to Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.
Surat Thani to/from Koh Samui
|Operator||Surat Thani Pier||Koh Samui Pier||Travel Time||Price|
|Seatran Discovery||Seatran (Donsak)||Bangrak||1.5 hours||350 baht|
|Seatran||Seatran (Donsak)||Nathon||1.5 hours||140 baht|
|Raja||Raja (Donsak)||Lipa Noi||1.5 hours||140 baht|
|Lomprayah||Tapee (Muang)||Nathon||2 hours||140 baht|
Surat Thani to/from Koh Phangan
|Operator||Surat Thani Pier||Travel Time||Price|
|Raja||Raja (Donsak)||2.5 hours||210 baht|
|Seatran Discovery||Seatran (Donsak)||2.5 hours||450 baht|
|Lomprayah||Tapee (Muang)||2.5 hours||700 baht|
Surat Thani to/from Koh Tao
|Operator||Surat Thani Pier||Travel Time||Price|
|Lomprayah||Tapee (Muang)||4-5 hours||800-900 baht|
|Seatran Discovery||Seatran (Donsak)||4 hours||700 baht|
Ferry coach stations
- 15 Seatran Coach Station, Talad Mai Road, Muang Surat Thani.
- 16 Raja Coach Station (Sirraja 1), Si Wichai 16, Muang Surat Thani.
The nightboat ferries are individually owned and operated. Routes can be cancelled without any prior notice. Only buy nightboat tickets directly from the ferry operator. The tickets can be purchased the day of departure from the boat operators at Bandon pier. The ticket stands are directly in front of the individual nightboats.
The departure times and ticket prices for the nightboats can vary as the individual boat and operator are on rotations. For example, the wooden Koh Tao nightboat leaves an hour earlier than the metal Koh Tao nightboats. Confirm with the operators at Bandon Pier the day of departure. Arrival times are estimates as it depends on the sea conditions.
|10PM from Bandon Pier||4AM at Koh Samui (Na Thon)||200 baht||6 hours|
|11PM from Bandon Pier||6AM at Koh Phangan||400 baht||7 hours|
|10-11PM from Bandon Pier||8AM at Koh Tao||550-600 baht||8-9 hours|
|10-11PM from Koh Tao||7AM at Bandon Pier||550-600 baht||8-9 hours|
|10PM from Koh Samui (Na Thon)||4AM at Bandon Pier||200 baht||6 hours|
|10PM from Koh Phangan||4AM at Bandon Pier||400 baht||6 hours|
Tuk-tuks cost around 10-20 baht/per person) around the town. Hail one on any major road with a wave or yell, negotiate a fare, and sit on the bench in the back.
- 17 X Motorbike Rentals, Soi 9 Karunrat Road, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ (mobile), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 8AM-8PM. Offers motorbike rentals and full time mechanical services. Free delivery and pickup. Free motorbike riding lessons and help with Thai licensing also availabe
Car hire services are available at Surat Thani International Airport.
- Avis, ☎ (mobile). Daily 7AM-9PM.
- Hertz, ☎ . Daily 8AM-8PM.
- Sixt, ☎ (mobile). Daily 7AM-8PM.
- Smile Carrent Suratthani, ☎ (mobile), (mobile).
- Surat Thani Carrent, ☎ (mobile). Daily 7AM-10PM.
- Thai Rent A Car, ☎ 1647 (non geographic).
- Taxi Thumngun (Taxi ทำเงิน), ☎ , . 24 hour call center.
- Taxi Pathway (Taxi พาธเวย์), ☎ (mobile). Daily 5AM-10PM.
- GrabTaxi. Grab taxi is now available in Surat Thani
- 1 Bang Bai Mai Floating Market (ตลาดน้ำประชารัฐบางใบไม้). Sundays 9AM-3PM. A “must see” in Surat Thani, this picturesque riverside market offers a range of ready-to-eat foods. The market also features a large fish pond, live music, and canal boat rides (at a cost). This market is on Sundays only and even though it’s open until 3PM, it’s best to go before noon.
Religious & historical sites
- 2 City Pillar Shrine (ศาสหลีกเมือง). Daily 7AM-6PM. Former site of the provincial administration building. The building was first destroyed when the Japanese invaded Thailand on December 8, 1941 and landed in Surat Thani. The building caught fire during the short battle and burned down. It was reopened in 1954. On March 19, 1982 it was destroyed again by a bomb planted by communist rebels, killing 5 people. Please note that this is a religious shrine and although it is not a temple, please remember to dress appropriately and to remove your shoes when entering the structure. Free Admission.
- 3 Phra That Si Surat (พระธาตุศรีสุราษฎร์์) (Khao Tha Phet (เขาท่าเพชร)). Khao Tha Phet is a hill outside of the city centre. It has an elevation of about 210 m (689 ft) and offers a good view over the town. On top of the hill is the Sri Surat stupa (also known by its common name, Phra That Khao Tha Phet), which was built in Srivijavan-style in 1957. The stupa contains a Buddha relic donated by India. Next to the stupa is a sweet shorea tree (Shorea roxburghii) planted by HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
Public parks & nature
- 4 Ko Lamphu Public Park (เกาะลำพู) (Koh Lampoo). A small island on the Tapi River offering walking & biking paths, exercise equipment, and a playground. Great place to play volleyball and basketball. Free.
- 5 Rama 9 Park (สวนหลวง ร.9). A city park offering walking & biking paths, exercise equipment, and a playground. There's also a large fish pond where you can buy fish food to feed the fish. Free Admission.
- 6 Khun Thale Swamp (บึงขุนทะเล) (Khuntalay Swamp). Khun Thale Swamp, despite its name, is a picturesque marshland just south of the city centre. A local fishing spot for many years, the area is undergoing renovations (May 2018) to make the area more accessible. Despite ongoing renovations to the boardwalk, the area is still a great place for cycling. Paddle boats are available for a small fee to take out into the swamp. A troop of wild monkeys also lives on the south side of the swamp. Free.
- 7 Rubber Tree Road. Rubber Tree Road is a scenic stretch of Talad Klauy-Kaouhaoukway Road in Muang Surat Thani with rubber trees that form a shaded canopy over the road.
- 8 Rice Paddy at Rice Farm Villa Hotel, Highway 420, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani. This small rice paddy is in the middle of the city. The rice paddy can be viewed free of charge, just walk though the OTOP shopping center. Free.
- 9 Si Surat Bridge (สะพานศรีสุราษฎร์), Bang Kung, Muang Surat Thani. Tallest bridge in southern Thailand.
See Chaiya page
- 10 Monkey Training College (First Monkey School/วิทยาลัยฝึกลิงเพื่อการเกษตร), 24 Moo 4, Thungkong, Kanchanadit, ☎ , . By appointment only. Founded in 1957 by Somporn Saekhow to train pig-tailed macaques how to properly pick coconuts. Somporn's daughter, Somjai, now runs the school. The college remains first and foremost a training centre for coconut farmers' monkeys. Visitors are of course welcome but please contact the school before your visit. The training is done in an animal-friendly fashion. No punishments are given, only rewards. Also offers home stay ("home stay" is a word frequently used to indicate basic accommodations, and joining the host for meals) in two basic bungalows.
- 11 Monkey Training Center (Kadaejae Monkey School/ศูนย์ฝึกลิงเพื่อการเกษตรกะแดะแจะ), ☎ , . By appointment only. Demonstration and lecture on how to train pig-tailed macaques to pick coconuts.
- 12 Kuha Cave (วัดถ้ำคูหา) (Don't forget to go in the actual cave! Take your shoes off and walk to the large Buddha statue's feet. Put your shoes back on and walk down the stairs to the main cave cavern.). Cave temple filled with multiple Buddha images of various styles including Dwaravati, Srivichai, Indian Pallava, and Siam Ayutthaya.
- 13 Sinmana Farmstay (สินมานะฟาร์มสเตย์), ☎ . Oyster farm.
- 14 Wat Khao Pranim Viewpoint (วัดเขาพระนิ่ม) (Stairs are located across from the temple, on the hill). Hillside view of the mountains and nearby fishfarms.
- 15 Bor Numtip (สำนักสงฆ์ถ้ำบ่อน้ำทิพย์, Tham Bo Nam Thip Bureau of Monks). Cave temple.
- 16 Wat Praputthabat (วัดพระพุทธบาทศรีสุราษฎร์, Wat Phra Phutthabat Si Surat). Hilltop temple.
- 17 Phu Rin Waterfall (น้ำตกภูริน). Small waterfall.
- 18 Phetpanomwang (สำนักสงฆ์เขาพนมวัง, Khao Phanom Wang Bureau of Monks). Display of large golden Buddha statues
Don Sak district
- 19 Vipavadee Waterfall (น้ำตกวิภาวดี), Pak Phraek, Don Sak District, Surat Thani. Medium size waterfall. Popular socializing venue, both after school and on weekends. Free.
- 20 Rock Fish Museum (พิพิธภัณฑ์ปลาหิน์์), Highway 4142, Don Sak, Surat Thani, ☎ . Daily 8AM-4PM. Collection of hand carved fish made out of stone. Donations requested.
- 21 Wat Khao Suwanpradit (วัดเขาสุวรรณประดิษฐ์), Don Sak, Surat Thani. Wat Khao Suwanpradit was founded in 1982 by one of Southern Thailand’s most revered monks, Luang Pho Choi. The 45m tall stupa contains Buddha relics from Wat Phra Kiat from Chiang Mai. This hilltop monastery offers a great panoramic view of Don Sak as well as the Gulf of Thailand and the nearby islands. Free.
- 22 Hug Village Horse & Sheep Farm, Don Sak, Surat Thani, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Daily 9:30AM-6:00PM. A horse (pony) and sheep farm with beautiful flower gardens and a café.
- 23 Koh Raet (เกาะแรต), Don Sak, Surat Thani. A traditional Chinese fishing village. It’s also the smallest populated island in Thailand connected to the mainland via bridge. You can walk around the entire island in less than an hour and enjoy the views of the nearby gulf islands. Has multiple traditional homestays for visitors.
- 24 Cho Waterfall (น้ำตกโฉ), Don Sak. A small stream popular with the locals. Surrounded by food stalls and a couple small restaurants, people go to cool down or have their feet cleaned by “doctor fish” in the natural fish spa. Free.
Khiri Rat Nikhom district
- 25 Clear Water Canal (คลองน้ำใส), Khiri Rat Nikhom. A crystal clear stream. Popular local swimming spot. Free.
- 26 Hin Pat (หินพัด), Khiri Rat Nikhom. A giant fan-shaped rock that sits on top of a cliff. It has been a popular viewpoint among locals for many years but only became an "official tourist attraction" in 2014. Free.
- Than Thong Waterfall (น้ำตกธารทอง), Khiri Rat Nikhom. Small waterfall, popular with the locals as a swimming spot.
- 27 Phasuankwang Farm (ผาสวนกวางฟาร์ม), Khiri Rat Nikhom. An animal farm/petting zoo with multiple animals including: deer, rabbits, turkeys, ponies, buffalo, and crocodiles.
- 28 Wat Tham Singkhorn (วัดถ้ำสิงขร), Khiri Rat Nikhom. Wat Tham Singkhorn is an ancient temple built in the Ayutthaya period (1351 to 1767). Behind the temple is a large cave with multiple Buddha statues.
- Tham Singkhorn Hotsprings (บ่อนำร้อนถำสิงขร), Khiri Rat Nikhom. 9 natural hot springs. The hottest is around 70°C.
- 29 Namrad Forest Headwaters (ป่าต้นน้ำบ้านน้ำราด), Khiri Rat Nikhom. Daily 9AM-6PM. Clear, fresh water swimming spot. As of 2018, this spot has been featured in numerous local travel blogs making it very popular. Get there early in the morning if you want to avoid the crowds. Entrance is free but you have to pay to use the toilets..
- 30 Kunfai Farm (สวนคุณฝ้าย), Khiri Rat Nikhom. U-Pick strawberry farm. Strawberries don't grow very well in the southern Thai heat so be sure to check ahead to see if there is any fruit available.
Ban Ta Khun district
- 31 Rajjaprabha Dam Golf Course (สนามกอล์ฟเขื่อนรัชชประภา), Ban Ta Khun. Par 72, 18-hole course.
- 32 Khao Theppithak Suspension Bridge (สะพานแขวนบ้านเขาเทพพิทักษ์), Ban Ta Khun. Wooden suspension bridge with a heart shape mountain in the background. Free.
- 33 Ban Thum Phueng (บ้านถ้ำผึ้ง), Phanom. Small farming village offering numerous homestays and cabins for visitors. Fruit orchards, rubber and palm plantations, and vegetable farms. Small waterfall and hotspring nearby.
- 34 Rajjaprabha Dam (เขื่อนรัชชประภา) (Ratchaprapha Dam, Cheow Lan Lake/Chiao Lan (เชี่ยวหลาน)), Phanom. 165-square-kilometre (64 sq mi) man-made lake in Khao Sok National Park. Known for its floating raft-houses, it's an extremely scenic place great place for wildlife watching, swimming, kayaking, and even diving.
- 35 Wat Phanom’s Fishes River (แหล่งปลาวัดพนม), Phanom. Fish viewing area. Fish include: tinfoil barb, silver barb, ponyfish, catfish, and carp.
- 36 Mai Yai Waterfall (น้ำตกแม่ยาย), Phanom. The only waterfal in Khao Sok National Parkl that can be reached by car. Approximately 30M high. Best time to visit is during the rainy season.
Tha Chang district
- 37 Wat Mun Lek Folk Museum (พิพิธภัณฑ์พื้นบ้าน วัดมูลเหล็ก์), Tha Chang.
- 38 Nong Thung Tong (หนองทุ่งทอง), Khian Sa. A Wildlife Sanctuary/No-Hunting Area. It is home to over 70 species of migratory birds, the oriental small-clawed otter, and the Asian Golden Cat. The area is mixed grasslands, marshes, and swamps. During the rainy season (October-December) the area is almost completely flooded.
- 39 Thamma Park (อุทยานธรรมเขานาในหลวง), Khian Sa. Hilltop temple with a picturesque view. Free.
- 40 514 Base Historical Learning Centre (ศูนย์เรียนรู้และท่องเที่ยวเชิงอนุรักษ์ประวัติศาสตร์ ค่าย ๕๑๔), Khian Sa, ☎ , . Formerly the People’s Liberation Army 514 Camp. Provides information on the tropical rainforest’s ecosystem, social history, fighter and mass struggle during the movement of the Communist Party of Thailand, folk wisdom, indigenous values, and the concept of sacrifice for common good to youth.
- 41 Ang Nam Pood (อ่างน้ำผุด), Phrasaeng. Clear water spring. You can see the bubbles come up from the sand. Cabomba, a non-native invasive aquatic plant with pretty white flowers, can be viewed in the clear water. In addition to swimming, kayaks and paddleboats are available to rent.
- 42 Tourism Attraction Bangsawan (สถานที่ท่องเที่ยวบางสวรรค์), Phrasaeng. River swimming spot.
- 1 Nakwaree Shooting Association (สนามยิงปืน นาควารี), Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani (Located across from Tesco-Lotus), ☎ (mobile). Shooting range with a variety of pistol and rifle rentals. Memberships also available. Pistol rental = 300 baht; Rifle rental = 350 baht, Range fee = 100 baht. Ammunition extra..
- 2 Bang Yai Fishing Park (บางใหญ่ฟิชชิ่งปาร์ค), Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani. Stocked fishing park pond. Bring your own rod. 80 baht per person..
- 3 SF Cinema Central Plaza, 4th FL. Central Plaza Suratthani, ☎ . Regularly shows (EN/TH) & (TH/EN) films.
- 4 Major Cineplex Sahathai, Sahathai Garden Plaza Surat Thani, ☎ . Regularly shows (EN/TH) & (TH/EN) films.
- 5 EGV Lotus, 3rd FL. Tesco Lotus Suratthani, ☎ . Mostly (TH/--) but will screen (TH/EN) and (EN/TH) occasionally
- 6 SF Cinema Coliseum Suratthani, 3rd FL. Coliseum Suratthani, ☎ . Mostly (TH/--) but will screen (TH/EN) occasionally.
- 7 The Pirates Park, Highway 420, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ . Water park featuring inflatable slides, obstacle courses, kids' pools, & a garden/banquet area.
- 8 Praram Suratthani (Mushroom Pool), Bang Bai Mai, Muang Surat Thani. Nicknamed 'The Mushroom Pool' for its mushroom waterfall structure. Popular swimming spot for the local expat English teachers. 100 baht pp.
- 9 Pool Koff, Bang Kung, Muang Surat Thani. 120 baht pp.
- 10 Provincial Sport Centre Pool, Bang Kung, Muang Surat Thani. Olympic-sized swimming pool 20 baht pp..
- 11 Sport Club Pool, Thatong Road, Talat, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ . M-F 3PM-9PM; Sa Su 9AM-8PM. Partially shaded swimming pool with a children's pool and 2 small water slides. Popular with locals for children's swimming lessons. 20 baht pp..
- 12 Rajabhat University Sport Complex Pool, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani. 60 baht pp..
- 13 100 Islands Resort and Spa Pool, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani. 150 baht for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children).
- 14 Diamond Plaza Hotel Pool, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani. 60 baht pp.
- 15 Naraya Riverside Resort Pool, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani. 180 baht pp. 3 month membership also available.
- 16 Siam Thani Hotel Pool, Si Wichai Road, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani. 50 baht pp..
- 17 Tawan Anda Garden Hotel Pool, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani. 50 baht pp..
- 18 Wang Tai Hotel Pool, Si Wichai Road, Talat, Muang Surat Thani. Membership available for 3,000 baht per year.
- 1 Tops Supermarket, 1st FL. CentralPlaza Surat Thani. Good selection of Western foods, including bakery products, cheese, wine, beer, and sweets. Also carries 'Waitrose' products imported from the UK
- 2 Tesco Lotus, 2nd FL. Tesco Lotus Suratthani. One of the larger grocery stores in Surat Thani. Good selection of meat, produce, and grocery items. Also carries 'Tesco Finest' products imported from the UK.
- 3 Big C. One of the larger grocery stores in Surat Thani. Good selection of meat, produce, and grocery items.
- 4 Makro, Chonkasem Road. Most items sold in bulk. Cheap meat and vegetables. Large selection of spices as well as some imported products. No membership needed, pick up a pass from the customer service desk on the way in.
- 5 OTOP Souvenir Shop at 100 Islands Resort, Highway 420, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ (mobile). Daily 7AM-7PM. Large number of souvenirs and local handicrafts, including hand woven baskets, coconut and mango wood products, pearls, clothing, dried fruit, and fish products.
- 6 OTOP Product Zone in CentralPlaza Suratthani, 3rd FL. Central Plaza. Selection of Thai products and souvenirs, including hand woven baskets, coconut and mango wood products, clothing, and cosmetics.
- 1 San Jao Night Market (Talat Sanjao - ตลาดศาลเจ้า), Tri Anusonn Rd at Namuang Rd.. Walk the block and pick up whatever treats catch your eye, or grab a table at one of the restaurants and watch the market scene as you dine. Freshly juiced fruits, corn on the cob, squid-kebabs, fried chicken, saffron rice, pad Thai, sushi.
- 2 Night Boat Pier (ท่าเรือกลางคืน). A popular spot for tourists to eat and drink beer before boarding the night boat to Ko Tao or Ko Pha Ngan. Lots of food carts selling seafood and noodles and standard Thai fare at only slightly elevated prices. If you walk further down the road toward the bridge, you'll find fruit vendors galore.
- 3 Wonderland Night Market, Bang Kung, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ . Daily 5PM-11PM. One of the newer night markets in town. Smaller selection of food compared to the other night markets like San Jao and Diamond, but has one of Surat's best beer gardens, sit-นี่.
- 4 Diamond Night Market, Pohkhuntale Road, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani (Located across the road from the Diamond Plaza Hotel). Open Monday and Friday nights. One of the largest night markets in Surat Thani. Good variety of food.
- 5 Kampan (กำปั่น), Amphur Rd. A garden like (street corner) setting makes Kampan a spot for a date. It's classy and expensive. Small menu, no juices or smoothies or anti alcoholics. Great choice of beer and whiskey. In the early hours modern music, Thai music, later Live Thai Band Music. Panang curry 160 baht. Green Curry 160 baht.
- 6 Zaab Eli Der 2 (แซ่บอีหลีเด้อ2), Chalokratt 24, Bang Kung, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ (mobile). Daily 10:30AM-10PM. This Thai Isan restaurant is located on a lotus pond. Indoor and outdoor seating. Menu is in Thai only but has pictures.
- 7 BaanBonKhao ViewSuay (บ้านบนเขา วิวสวย) (a few hundred metres past Sky Koff), ☎ (mobile). Located on a hill, BaanBonKhao ViewSuay has amazing views of nearby mountains and the surrounding rubber tree farms. Has an extensive menu of Thai food including hard to find local specialties. Menu is in Thai only
- 8 Vanilla Cafe & Bistro, ☎ (mobile). Daily 10AM-11PM. Closest thing that Surat Thani has to “fine dining”, along with Day & Night. Offers Thai, Southern Thai, European, Japanese, Korean, and Chinese fusion dishes. Cheese fries = 127 baht.
- 9 Day & Night Restaurant (Located in front of Nipa Garden Hotel on highway 401, west of Bang Yai intersection.), ☎ (mobile). Daily 7AM-midnight. Opened in 2016, Day & Night is Surat Thani’s fine dining restaurant. Their drink menu is the largest in Surat Thani, offering beer (draught, cider beer, craft, imported), signature cocktails and shooters, wine (red, white, sparkling, champagne, rose), rum, liquor, single malt, Japanese single malt, gin, vermouth, vodka, whisky, and bourbon. Their menu includes pizza, salad, burgers, lamb, salmon, and Canadian lobster. Indoor and outdoor seating. Popular wedding venue. Canadian lobster = 1,950 baht.
- 10 Jay Wa Wa (อาหารเจวาวา).
- 11 Jae Tom Vegetarian Restaurant (านอาหารเจเจ๊ต้อม).
- 12 Jay Hong Vegan Restaurant (ร้านอาหารเจ เจ๊หงษ์).
- 13 Vegetarian Cafe.
- 14 SuratThani Vegetarian. Cafeteria style vegetarian restaurant with a nice garden ambiance. Selection of juices as well as free cleansing tea to go with your meal. Open since 2006.
- 16 Bismillah (บิสมิลลาฮ), Muang Road.
- 17 Lamphu 3 (ลำพู 3) (Lampoo 3), ☎ . Daily 10AM-8:30PM. Located right on the Tapi River, Lampu 3 offers up some of the freshest seafood in Surat Thani. Giant river prawns, shrimp, crab, squid, cockles, fish, and Surat Thani's famous giant oysters. Menu in Thai and English.
- 18 Hashi Japanese Restaurant, Bang Kung, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ . Daily 11AM-9:30PM. One of the more expensive Japanese restaurants in town.
- 19 On-Zen Japanese Cafe, Donnok Road, ☎ (mobile). Daily 9:30AM-9:30PM. Formally MyCup Cafe, the building underwent renovations in 2018 and re-opened as On-Zen. This cafe serves Japanese food such as sushi, donburi, ramen, curry, as well as sandwiches, burgers, and salads.
- 20 2SISTERs Cafe, Bang Kung, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ (mobile). Daily 9AM-9PM. Specializes in cakes and Chazen boba tea. Same owners as Baan Cake.
- 21 Baan Cake (บ้านเค้ก the homemade lover), Highway 420, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ , . Daily 9AM-8PM. Famous for their young coconut cake.
- 22 69 Milk, Chalokratt Road, Bang Kung, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ (mobile). Daily 10:30AM-9PM. Specializes in Bingsu, a Korean shaved ice dessert.
- 23 Ice Cream Nam Choke (นำโชค ร้านไอศครีม), Off Chonkasem Road, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ . Homemade ice cream with the option of a frozen egg on top. Famous in Surat Thani for decades. Flavours include: coconut, durian, strawberry, vanilla, coffee, and chocolate.
- 24 Yotse (ไอติมหม้อไฟยศเส), Amphur Road, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ (mobile). Daily 11:30AM-9:30PM. Ice cream served in a Thai fire pot (maw fai/หม้อไฟ) with dry ice added to give it a smoke effect.
- Sizzler, 3rd FL. CentralPlaza. All you can eat soup, salad, pasta, and dessert bar. Also offers steak, grilled meat, and burgers.
- McDonald’s, 1st FL. CentralPlaza.
- KFC. 4 branches: Central Plaza, Tesco Lotus, Coliseum, and Saha Thai
- Pizza Hut, 1st FL. Tesco Lotus.
- Dairy Queen (DQ). 5 branches: Central Plaza (1st FL. and 3rd FL.), Tesco Lotus, Saha Thai, and Big C. Seasonal blizzard flavours include mango and sticky rice, green tea, Thai tea with jelly, and durian.
- MK Restaurants. 2 branches: CentralPlaza and Tesco Lotus. Famous for their suki (hot pot) and roast duck.
- Bar-B-Q Plaza, 3rd FL. CentralPlaza. DIY tableside BBQ
- S&P Restaurant, 3rd FL. CentralPlaza. Thai and Thai-style western dishes.
- Chester’s Grill, Tesco Lotus. Specializes in chicken dishes.
- Black Canyon Coffee, CentralPlaza. Large menu offering sandwiches, salads, and steak.
Bars & pubs
- 2 Masuk Bar (มาสุข บาร์), Amphur Road, ☎ (mobile). Daily 5PM-midnight. Signature shots, cocktails, and fire shows. Also hosts the Surat Thani Teacher bi-monthly pub quiz on occasions.
- 3 Mouth 2 Mouth, Amphur Road, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:30AM-11:30PM. Cafe & restuarant, food, international beer, cocktail, whisky, wine, and music
- 4 The Grounds Cafe & Hangout, ☎ (mobile). Daily 6:30AM-9PM. Contender for the best coffee in Muang Surat Thani, The Grounds lives up to its name as a popular hangout spot. Western style breakfast available. Fantastic milkshakes and smoothies. Price range = 60-70 baht for a latte.
- 6 Kens. A small café overlooking the Khun Thale marsh offering excellent coffee and a Thai-Western menu. Owned by a Thai couple, Ken & Pop, who spent a number of years overseas in Australia. Price range = 75 baht for a latte.
- 7 Renovate Espresso Bar, ☎ (mobile). 8AM-5:30PM. A small dessert and coffee café with signature drinks flavours like navel orange, coconut, and charcoal. Navel Americano = 80 baht.
- 1 Ban Don Hotel (โรงแรมบ้านดอนโฮเต็ล), 268/2 Namuang Rd., ☎ . A place for really cheap and clean rooms, but for 300 baht, don't expect anything fancy. Most rooms don't have air-con or hot water and the entrance is through a shady looking restaurant. But, if you're looking for a place just to stay a night while passing through, it's pretty good for the price. 250-350 baht.
- 2 Myplace@surat Hotel, 247/5 Namuang Rd (Not far from Tapee Hotel, a couple of minutes walk from the river and night market). Single room, fan, toilet outside, start at 199 baht. Bath inside from 290 baht. Clean good-sized rooms. Free Wi-Fi.
- 3 Tapee Hotel (โรงแรมตาปี), 100 Chonkasem Rd, ☎ . The price differences range from fan to air-con and view. Bright entrance, staffed front desk, and short distance to the market and bus stations. The rooms are older, very clean, and the air-con worked quietly. Five minutes from the waterfront and night market, which you should not miss. 450-550 baht.
- 4 Thai Rungruang Hotel (โรงแรมไทยรุ่งเรือง), Rungrueang Alley (Off of Talad Mai Road). Business hotel. Relatively nice, quiet, clean and good-sized rooms. Some have TV and hot water (probably just the air-con rooms). Wi-Fi available via username and password for 100 baht/24 hr. The hotel staff are very helpful and polite and speak enough English to answer your questions. Fan single from 280 baht, air-con double, 450 baht.
- 5 The Port Hostel by Suwatchai (220 m south of the Night Boat Pier), ☎ (mobile), e-mail: email@example.com. Opened in 2016. Less than 250m from the Night Boat Pier. Air conditioning in all rooms. Single 250 baht, double 450 baht, 6-person room 1,200 baht.
- 7 Grand Thara Hotel (โรงแรมแกรนด์ธารา), 1/144 Donnok Rd (Corner of Talad Mai and Donnok Road), ☎ , fax: . 450-550 baht including breakfast.
- 8 100 Islands Resort and Spa (Outside city centre. If your taxi driver doesn't know where it is, he should know where Tesco-Lotus is. The hotel is near there.). Clean, spacious rooms. Wide range of facilities and amenities including air conditioning, minifridge in the room, a pool, spa, and restaurant on-site. 770-1,200 baht.
- 9 Princess Park Hotel, 19/19 Leangmuang Rd, ☎ (mobile). Muslim owned and operated. The only Halal hotel in Surat Thani. 600-800 baht.
- 10 [dead link] Diamond Plaza Hotel, 83/27 Sriwichai Rd, Moo 2 Makamtia District (It's on the outer edge as you enter from Phun Phin railway station), ☎ . Reputedly the best hotel in town although on a dismal commercial stretch of road. 1,500-3,000 baht.
- 11 Naraya Riverside Resort (นารายา ริเวอร์ไซด์ รีสอร์ท), Si Wichai 21, Makham Tia, Muang Surat Thani, ☎ . Modern hotel that backs onto the river. Large outdoor pool, fitness center, and children's playground. 1,000-2,000 baht.
- Khao Sok National Park — jungle adventures
- Ko Samui — backpacker paradise gone up-market
- Ko Pha Ngan — home of the infamous Full Moon Party
- Ko Tao — popular diving spot and a good place to get certified
- Ang Thong National Marine Park
- Khao Lak — coastal resort region and diving centre just north of Ko Phuket
|Routes through Surat Thani|
|Bangkok ← Lang Suan ←||N S||→ Phatthalung → Butterworth|
|Bangkok ← Lang Suan ←||N S||→ Nakhon Si Thammarat|
|Bangkok ← Lang Suan ←||N S||→ Trang|