Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sutherland is around 350 km from Cape Town. Follow the N1 north for about 230 km to Matjiesfontein and turn onto the R354. Follow the R354 for around 110 km until you reach Sutherland. All roads are tarred and in good condition.
- The southern skies. Sutherland is located in an excellent area for astronomical viewing. Take your own telescope, or visit the SAAO facility.
- SAAO SALT telescope (14 km outside town towards Fraserburg), ☎ . Daytime guided tours M-F 10:30AM and 2:30PM, Sa 11:30AM and 2:30PM. Nighttime viewing M W F and Sa starting between 6PM and 8PM, time will be confirmed with booking. The SALT facility can be visited during the daytime, nighttime sky viewing with 14 and 16 inch scopes are available. The SALT scope is for research purposes only and not available for public use. Please park at the Visitor Centre. Do not drive up to the telescopes themselves as that is a light restricted area. R20 per person for daytime tours, R40 per person for nighttime viewing.
- The Galaxy B&B, 7 Theron Str, ☎ , fax: .
- Sutherland Inn, 28 Northumberland Str, ☎ , e-mail: Sutherlandinn@telkomsa.net. Restaurant and bar. Single R600. Double, twin, triple or quad rooms R400 per person. Breakfast included.
- Southern Cross B&B, 18 Muller Str, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.