When this town was first founded it was originally named Westdale. It was named in honor of painter Benjamin West, who was one resident of the early town. Westdale was cut off of Springfield Township which creates some bizarre modern day borders. When Swarthmore College was established the name was changed to Swarthmore.
Swarthmore is located off Exit 3 of Interstate 476 (or locally known as the "Blue Route"). Southern Swarthmore can also easily be accessed from the MacDade Boulevard exit of I-476 in neighboring Ridley Township. Swarthmore can also be accessed by State Route 320 or State Route 12 (Baltimore Pike).
SEPTA Route 109 bus connecting Upper Darby and Chester stops along Chester Road.
SEPTA Regional Rail trains (Media/Elwyn Line) stop at Swarthmore Station, located in the heart of the village
Swarthmore is a small, compact borough where walking and/or biking is a viable option. There is a Philly CarShare spot located at the train station.
- Swarthmore College. A liberal arts college located in the heart of Swarthmore. Swarthmore College has been named a "Little Ivy" by various college guides, and is ranked third best Liberal Arts College in the United States by US News and Report. The school also maintains the 357-acre Scott Arboretum, a beautiful park open to the public without charge.
There is a small variety of shops located in the "Village" neighborhood of Swarthmore
- Swarthmore Co-Op. A grocery store specializing in high-quality (but expensive) food. Owned by community members as a Co-Op.
- The Head Nut. This store provides a wide variety of dried fruits, nuts, candies, cookies, crackers and other snack foods. They also have freshly roasted coffee beans and other bulk items.  [dead link]
There is a limited number of restaurants located in Swarthmore
- Cheng Hing, 333 Dartmouth Ave, ☏ . Local take-out chinese place serving typical "Americanized" chinese food. Popular with Swarthmore College students.
- Renato's Pizza, 8 Park Ave, ☏ . A pizzeria located in the "village" of Swarthmore.
- Swarthmore Pizza, 601 South Chester Road, (Chester Road & Fairview Road), ☏ . Local pizza restaurant with a family friendly atmosphere
Accommodations in Swarthmore are limited to several bed and breakfasts. There are some more options, located nearby in Media
|Routes through Swarthmore|
|King of Prussia ← Media ←||N S||→ Chester → Ends at|
|Middletown ← Rose Valley ←||W E||→ Clifton Heights → Philadelphia|