It is one of the oldest national parks in Europe. It is one of 18 nature parks in Switzerland, but the only national park. With an area of 174.2 km² it is the largest protected area of the country.
Flora and fauna
- 1 Parking P1 / Bus stop Zernez Champlönch.
- 2 Parking P3 / Bus stop Zernez Vallun Chafuol.
- 3 Parking P6-P7-P8.
Fees and permits
In the park, it's not allowed to leave marked paths, light a fire or sleep outside the Chamanna Cluozza hut. It is also forbidden to disturb animals or plants, or to take home anything found in the park. Dogs are not allowed, even on a leash. Due to these strict rules, the park is the only one in the Alps which has been categorized by the IUCN as a strict nature reserve, the highest protection level.
Many walking trails are available in the whole area. A incomplete list of the destinations follows:
- 1 Macun lakes. A quite long hike (1500 m altitude difference one way) via Munt Baseglia (2945 m), but rewards with excellent views.
- 2 Tropchun valley. A non-demanding hike through forests.
- 3 Fuorcla Val Sassa pass. Can be combined with Tropchun and Murter for a whole-day hike.
- 4 Murter saddle.
- 5 Champlönch children's trail (Start at P1, end at Il Fuom). Approx. 2½-hr, 5-km hike with 250 m altitude difference.
- 1 Chamanna Cluozza. The only accommodation in the park (outside the towns). Sleeping bags are obligatory, but can be rented. Reservations for up to 63 people can be done via the reservation system.