Jump to navigation Jump to search
Szekszárd is in South Hungary.
Szekszárd is one of the well-known Hungarian wine regions.
- Follow Main Road Number 6 from Budapest.
Szekszárd is best seen on foot.
- Climb to the Szőlőhegy (Grape Hill).
- Walk around the main square.
- Look the lakes at Szálka (nearby by car).
- Explore the Gemenc forest (nearby by car).
- Arany Kulacs. A small place in a small road on the hillside, so don't expect to get in on a Saturday evening. In the summer the open area doubles the capacity. Food is very good, along the authentic Hungarian ones you may find, for example, delicious onion soup. Service is friendly but extremely slow, it's not unusual to wait for 20 minutes to be recognised as a guest (you can't just make noise - nobody's popping up).
Wine, by all means. Red wine is the best here, but you may find some rosé to enjoy, too. Try Szekszardi Bikaver or just plain Kadarka.
- Gyógygödör. A fairly small place (only 4 rooms), but cheap, clean and the owners are friendly. And it's a known local place to drink and spend an evening, too.