Ta'izz is a city in the South of the Yemeni Mountains. It is better developed than most Yemeni cities, with very good roads. It is also reasonably clean. Being around 130m above sea level means that the climate is quite pleasant throughout the year.
Tai'zz lies at the foot of Mount Sabir (3.200 meters above sea level). The city is about 1.500 meters above sea level. Tai'zz was the capital of the Rasulid state.
Ta'izz has road links to other major cities and a regional airport. Ta'izz is located 255 km south of Sana'a.
The city wall has four gates and is crowned by the Cairo castle.
- 1 Al-Qahira citadel (Cairo Castle). The castle on a hill above the city is nicely illuminated at night.
- Al Aruss mountain. 3000m above sea level. There is a good road all the way to the top.
- Al Janad mosque. Located north of the city. It was the second mosque to be established in Yemen.
- al-Muzaffar mosque.
- 2 Ashrafiya mosque. Has some features dating to the 6th cent AH.
- National Museum, 26th September Str. Sat-Thu 8AM-1PM. The palace of Imam Ahmed with a large collection of gifts and purchases from Europe YR500.
There are some reasonable simple hotels in the town centre. The best and most expensive is the Al Saeed.
- Asia Hotel, At Tahrir Str, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. YR 1500-3000.
- Al Mokha is situated in the Tihama about 100 km south-west of Tai'zz. Al Mokha was the center of export of Yemeni coffee.
- Al Turbah is situated 70 km south of Tai'zz on a mountain about 2.2ßß meters above sea level. It offers splendid views on the south-western foothills of the mountains towards Aden.
- Ibb is situated at the foot of Mount Ba'dan.
- Jibla is located 10 km south of Ibb. The city has many Islamic monuments, the most famous being the Al-Sayyida Arwa Mosque.