Talk:Diving the Cape Peninsula and False Bay/Pinnacle
This page is for discussing the corresponding article or guide. For more about using talk pages check out Project:Using talk pages.
I'm not a great fan of long lists, escpecially not in star articles, not sure about myself, but how about ditching that long list and doing something like this instead? the current setup doesn't really have star quality to it I think.
Though the text blurbs should be made to a more similar size to make it look more uniform
- 6. Nudibranch tour: At least 20 species of Ophismobranch (sea slugs) have been seen at this site. It is not impossible to see as many as 12 species on a dive, though 6 to 8 is more likely.
Hi Stefan, thanks for the feedback.
- My first response to this is that I initially had galleries, but was asked to remove them as a matter of policy. ie. WT does not have galleries. I have not seen this written in any guideline, so it may only be the opinion of one person, but it may also be that I have just not found it.
- There is also the problem of sacrificing information for style. Which is more important? to provide the useful information or to comply with the recommended style? By following your suggestions, I must leave out some of the descriptions as there is no photo. This is not a crisis, but does to some extent reduce the completeness of the information provided, reducing value to the traveller. Similarly, the if the long captions are shortened, there is an information loss, if the short ones are lengthened, they may require padding.
- If this style is to be applied to other sites it may have other problems, as yet unknown. This by itself would not bother me unduly, as trying it would be a way of finding out. (WT-en) Pbsouthwood 02:26, 15 October 2009 (EDT)
- Where was that gallery comment? They're a relative new Mediawiki feature, so they're not much used on WT, but AFAIK there's no policy against them (I use them on occasion, see eg. Okinawa#Eat) and illustrating wildlife is a perfect application for them. I also see absolutely no reason to start shortening or lengthening captions to make them line up.
- One suggestion though: instead of "hiding" the info at a single dive site, you might want to split it off into a dedicated article along the lines of African flora and fauna. (WT-en) Jpatokal 09:59, 15 October 2009 (EDT)
- Or expanding the ones with less, anyway nothing crucial but the Protea Nudibranch paragraph was so long it looked really silly, other than that it's fine just leave it as it is. That gallery comment was about a different use - a general gallery of pictures of the destination, is not the same as this - hmmm - "illustraion of concepts", I think most of us prefer to have general pictures of the destinations right aligned in the text. Another example of use of the gallery feature is Angkor
Missing Nudibranches, one missing (Silver tipped nudibranch) does these all work for you? and do you have a photo of the missing one lying around? --(WT-en) Stefan (sertmann) Talk 17:00, 19 October 2009 (EDT)
- Blue speckled nudibranch (Dendrodoris caesia)
- Coral nudibranch (Phyllodesmium serratum)
- Dwarf warty (pleurobranch Pleurobranchaea tarda)
- Iridescent nudibranch (Notobryon wardi)
- Lemon pleurobranch (Berthellina citrina)
- Orange eyed nudibranch (Cratena capensis)
→  a SURG picture
- Silver tipped nudibranch (Janolus capensis)???
→  ???? any of these?
- Soft coral nudibranch (Tritonia sp. 1)
- White edged nudibranch (Flabellina capensis)
Stefan, I see that you used a specific markup for the gallery. Where can I find the syntax/definition/instructions for this? Is it Wikimarkup or HTML or CSS or something else? (WT-en) Pbsouthwood 04:59, 23 October 2009 (EDT)
- I have put in most of the missing nudibranchs. The gallery is now more or less complete. Any further comments or suggestions? (WT-en) Peter (Southwood) Talk 08:21, 26 October 2009 (EDT)
Star nomination discussions
Discussions of the star nomination process for this article are archived at Project:Star_nominations/Archives#Diving_the_Cape_Peninsula_and_False_Bay.2FPinnacle