From Wikivoyage
Jump to navigation Jump to search

TAT listings


Lots of listings from TAT, I got them off the main page as they clutter way too much (we're not the yellow pages here). If you have visited one of these listings, add it back and include some personal traveler experience in the description.



Amphoe Mueang


Phra Phutthachai National Park (อุทยานแห่งชาติพระพุทธฉาย) == originally called “Khao Sam Lan National Park”, covers 4 districts: Mueang, Kaeng Khoi, Nong Khae and Wihan Daeng, and occupies an area of approximately 44 square kilometres or 27,856 rai. It was declared a national park on 2 June, 1981. October to January, which is during winter, is the best time to visit.

The park comprises many tiny and large mountains with a plain in the valley. The highest summit is Khao Khrok with a height of 329 metres. It is the highest sightseeing spot where the panoramic view surrounding the centre of Saraburi and nearby districts can be clearly witnessed. During World War II, the Japanese soldiers used this spot to watch the movements of their opponents through binoculars. The condition of this area is still naturally abundant. Many wild animals can be witnessed such as pheasants, red jungle fowls, barking deer, monkeys, wild boars, and various kinds of birds such as the Asian fairy-bluebirds, the white-crested laughing thrushes, the lineated barbets, the green-billed malkoha, as well as, many types of butterflies.

There are many waterfalls inside the national park such as “Namtok Sam Lan” (น้ำตกสามหลั่น). It features 3 levels of rock terraces similar to a staircase, and this is the origin of the waterfall’s name. It is 300 metres from the office of the National Park. There is also “Namtok Pho Hin Dat” (น้ำตกโพธิ์หินดาษ), approximately 300 metres from the park office. It is a single-levelled waterfall, suitable for swimming. In the area of the waterfall is a wide rock terrace with a gigantic Pho or Bodhi tree, extending its branches outward. Moreover, there is “Namtok Ton Rak Sai” (น้ำตกโตนรากไทร), which is 400 metres from the park office and originates from the same stream as Namtok Pho Hin Dat. It is a single leveled waterfall. Its lively stream flows from the 7-metre high stone cliff to the basin below. Around the basin are many big and small rocks which can be used as the place for admiring the waterfall. There is a trail, connecting these waterfalls together, which takes approximately 2-3 hours to get back to the starting point without having to return the same way. The waterfall is most beautiful during the end of July until the beginning of October. Other interesting attractions are as follows:

Khao Ruak Reservoir (อ่างเก็บน้ำเขารวก) is a small reservoir with a carrying capacity of 50,000 cubic metres. It is located between Khao Ruak and Khao Daeng and was constructed in 1980 with a sightseeing spot and venue for recreational activities such as kayaking, cycling a punting boat, swimming, etc.

Phra Phutthachai Tunnel (อุโมงค์รถไฟพระพุทธฉาย) is 12 kilometres from the park office. It is a one-way train tunnel which is 7 metres wide, 7 metres high and 1,197 metres long. It was constructed in 1994 and is the longest train tunnel in Thailand built by Thai people. It is at Khao Chong Ling on the border between Tambon Charoen Tham , Amphoe Wihan Daeng and Tambon Nong Pla Lai, Amphoe Mueang, Saraburi.

World War II Memorial of the Japanese Army (Khao Daeng) (อนุสรณ์สงครามโลกครั้งที่ 2 ของกองทัพญี่ปุ่น) is 2 kilometres from the park office. It is a historical attraction. During World War II, the Japanese soldiers occupied the area of Khao Daeng as a military base and prison for captives. There remain traces of holes caused by the bombs left behind by the Japanese soldiers. The constructions made by the Japanese soldiers are the commanding tunnel, trenches along the valley, the commanding room, a treasure room, and the bunker lines.

Ancient Chedi on Top of Khao Radar (ซากเจดีย์โบราณบนยอดเขาเรดาร์) is assumed to have been constructed during the Ayutthaya period but was struck by the thunderbolt. At present, there are some traces left. Another historical importance is that the Japanese soldiers once used this place as a cannon base.

Besides, there are 3 natural study routes; namely, 1) Khao Daeng route, a distance of 1.6 kilometres, 2) Sam Lan – Ton Rak Sai route, a distance of 3.2 kilometres, and 3) Sam Lan – Sap Pla Kang route, a distance of 4.5 kilometres. For the 3rd route, tourists can stay overnight. Please inform the national park officer in advance.

Accommodation and Facilities: The park has three guesthouses provided for tourists, costing 600-2,400 Baht, a camp for 60 people, costing 6,000 Baht/night, and a camping site for tourists bringing their own camping gear. Besides, there are punting boats and canoes for rent. For more information, please contact the park office at Tel. 0 3622 5171-2 or at the National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, Bang Khen, Bangkok, at Tel. 0 2562 0760, or at

To get there: The park is located on the Bangkok - Saraburi Road, on Highway No. 1, Phahonyothin Road, approximately 16 kilometres south of Saraburi. Departing from Bangkok, turn right to make a U-turn before reaching Km. 102 to Highway No. 3042 and 3046, respectively to the asphalt road for 8 kilometres.

Wat Phra Phutthachai (วัดพระพุทธฉาย) is situated on the foot of Khao Pathawi, Nong Pla Lai Sub-district, the same entrance as Phra Phutthachai National Park, where Phra Phutthachai or Roi Phra Phuttharup - a shadow of the Buddha is located on the cliff. A mondop - a square building with a crown-like spire - was built to cover it. A staircase was also constructed to lead the way from the temple to the cliff above the Mondop.

Moreover, there are pre-historic line drawings at the foot of the cliff such as the drawing similar to deer. Near the entrance to Phra Phutthachai, there are human hands and symbols. From Tham Ruesi to Phra Phutthachai on the western side, there are drawings of chickens, Buddha images and symbols. Also, on the Cho Po Ro cliff, a gigantic and complicated drawing was found. It is similar to the pre-historic one at Pha Taem, Ubon Ratchathani. Moreover, there is an ancient drawing with latex, aged approximately 3,000 years, symbolising the meaning among the group and probably used as a ceremonial medium or belief of the people in that period of time.

Furthermore, Roi Phra Phutthabat Bueang Khwa (รอยพระพุทธบาทเบื้องขวา) - Buddha’s right footprint - was discovered in 1994. The Fine Arts Department renovated the Mondop on the mountain in the area of Wat Phra Phutthachai. When the cement floor was removed, the Buddha’s right footprint appeared under the sand printed on a stone.

Crocodile Farm and Zoo (ฟาร์มจระเข้ และสวนสัตว์) use the similar route as the entrance to Wat Phra Phutthachai, 1 kilometre prior to reaching the temple. It is a location where crocodiles are raised and bred. Apart from the crocodiles, there are many other kinds of animals such as deer, monkeys, and various species of birds. It is open during 8.30 a.m. – 5.30 p.m. The entrance fee is 30 Baht for adults and 20 Baht for children. For more information, please contact Tel. 0 3621 2958.

Phra Phuttha Nirarokhantarai Chaiwat Chaturathit (พระพุทธนิรโรคันตรายชัยวัฒน์จตุรทิศ) resides in the cruciform pavilion of Wat Sala Daeng, Phichai Ronnarong Songkhram Road, opposite the city hall. It is the Buddha image of the East and one of the four images made by the Territorial Defense Department to express loyalty to King Rama VI and King Rama IX. On 27 December, 1968, H.M. the King gave the Buddha image to the people of Saraburi.

Amphoe Chaloem Phra Kiat


Phu Khae Botanical Garden (สวนพฤกษศาสตร์ภาคกลาง (พุแค)) is located in Phu Khae Sub-district on the Saraburi - Lop Buri route (Phahonyothin Road), 17 kilometres from the centre of Saraburi, at the crossroad to Highway No. 21 to Phetchabun. It is situated in the Phra Phutthabat Phu Khae National Forest Reserve, covering an area of 4,697 rai on both sides of the road. Departing from Saraburi, the office and plant library will be on the left side, while a wide space with relaxing atmosphere and a brook passing through are on the right. It is a garden of a collection of various kinds of flora, comprising 35 kinds referred to in Thai literature, as well as, the herbal ones. The botanical garden was established in 1941 and was the first of its kind in Thailand. It is a source of collections and studies of plants and a promotion of knowledge in many aspects of plants, as well as, a place for relaxation. It opens daily from 8.00 a.m. – 6.00 p.m. with no entrance fee. For more information, please contact Tel. 0 3634 7457.

Tham Si Wilai (ถ้ำศรีวิไล) is located in the area of Wat Tham Si Wilai, Na Phra Lan Sub-district, 22 kilometres from the centre of the city. Inside the cave resides the Phra Phutthanaowarat Buddha image, an art of the Chiang Saen period, as well as, stalagmites and stalactites. In addition, a natural panoramic view and beautiful complex mountain range can be seen here. To get there: From Saraburi’s centre, take Highway No. 1 for 17 kilometres to the Nong Chan T-junction. Turn right to Highway No. 3385 for 1 kilometre and turn right again toward the cement factory.

Amphoe Sao Hai (อำเภอเสาไห้)


Sao Ronghai (เสาร้องไห้) is located in Nang Takhian Thong Shrine at Wat Sung, Sao Hai Sub-district, 500 metres from the Sao Hai District Office, on Highway No. 3041. It is a gigantic post made from a hardwood tree known as Takhian, which is believed to possess a female spirit called “Takhian Thong” and, thus, all offerings are for a female. There is a legend that when Bangkok was being constructed as the capital city, posts from the provinces were delivered to be chosen. The most beautiful one would be chosen as the main pillar of the city. Saraburi delivered a very fine post floating it along the Pa Sak River to Bangkok. However, it came to the city a bit too late because the main pillar had already been chosen. If this post could be delivered on time, it would certainly have been selected as the main pillar due to its elegance and fineness measuring 13 metres high and 0.75 metres wide. This post was sad and floated against the current and sank at this sub-district for approximately more than 100 years until 1958 when the locals brought it out of the water and kept it in the shrine in front of the Phra Ubosot of Wat Sung until the present time. During the night, people usually hear a cry (Ronghai). Therefore, this sub-district was called Tambon Sao Ronghai (crying post) and has become “Amphoe Sao Hai” nowadays. On 23 April every year, there is a bathing ceremony for Nang Takhian in front of the Phra Ubosot of Wat Sung.

The Golden Buddha Image (พระพุทธรูปทองคำ) resides at Wat Phra Yao. It is a Buddha image in the meditation posture measuring 110 centimetres wide at its lap, 170 centimetres high, round face, smiling lips and a flame-like spire on the head. It was constructed during the late Ayutthaya period. At the second fall of the Kingdom of Ayutthaya to Burma, the locals who immigrated from the Burmese took it along, applied black lacquer and cement to cover it, and left it at a deserted temple in Uthai District, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya. Then, it was taken to be the principal Buddha image at Wat Uthit Samoson before being moved again to reside at Wat Phayao. Later, a monk noticed the black lacquer in between the cement and asked the locals to remove the cement. As a result, the golden Buddha image underneath was discovered. The Fine Arts Department examined it and analysed that there is 70% gold. Therefore, the locals named it “Luangpho Thongkham” (the Golden Buddha image).

Wat Phayao (วัดพะเยาว์) is located on the bank of the Pa Sak River, Mu 1, Tambon Sala Rithai. At the back of the temple is the Pak Bang – Saraburi Road, passing by the golden Buddha image of the Ayutthaya period. The image originally resided at a deserted temple in Uthai District, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya. Later, King Rama I the Great ordered to take it to reside as the principal Buddha image of Saraburi. The golden Buddha image is the most revered by the people of Saraburi.

This golden Buddha image of Wat Phayao is considered as one of the major sculptures of Ayutthaya period. It is believed to have been constructed during the reign of either Somdet Phra Borommatrailokkanat or Somdet Phra Ramathibodi II. Also, it is believed that the casting of the Buddha image from liquid gold into a gigantic one cannot be done by normal human beings. Only a king who possesses royal charisma would have been able to have constructed a Buddha image like this.

The golden Buddha image of Wat Phayao processes fine characteristics of proportionate body and elegance, sitting in the meditation posture presenting courage and strength.

The believers built a wihan with a cruciform plan as a residence for the Buddha image to enhance its dignity and honour to the people of Saraburi.

To get there: Take the Saraburi – Ban Yang Route and turn right at the opposite site of the Pa Sak River Bridge and proceed further for 100 metres. The overall distance from Mueang district of Saraburi is approximately 9 kilometres.

Wat Khao Kaeo Worawihan (วัดเขาแก้ววรวิหาร) is located in Ton Tan Sub-district, on the right side of the Pa Sak River, 6 kilometres from Sao Hai District Office. When King Rama IV visited Sao Hai District, he ordered the renovation of this temple and promoted it as a royal temple. There has been a rumor that there used to be a bright crystal ball over the Wihan of Wat Khao Khaeo on some nights. It is considered a miracle of the sacred object contained inside the Chedi. Inside the small 5-spired Chedi situated between the bell tower and the main chedi reside the adorned Buddha image, Buddha image in the Palelai (Palilayaka) posture, and the Lord Buddha’s footprint. All of these are beautiful.

Ban Khao Kaeo (บ้านเขาแก้ว) is a traditional Thai wooden house of approximately 80-100 years old and is the property of Achan Songchai Wannakun. The house is established as the “Thai Yuan Cultural Study Centre”, collecting folk utensils, weapons, living tools, as well as, ancient woven textiles aged more than 100 years old such as Pha Muk Yok Dok, Pha Lai Khit, and Pha Chok. The atmosphere inside the house is relaxing and pleasant.

Bencha Sutthi Khongkha (เบญจสุทธิคงคา) refers to the sacred water from 1 of the 5 important rivers that flows through Sao Hai District, which has been used in the Oath of Allegiance Ceremony from the reign of King Rama IV until the present time. When the king travelled by boat, he dropped by and took a bath at the Rat (Raja) Pier. The king was pleased with the cool, deep-running and calm water and had the water in this area taken to undergo an incantation ceremony at Wat Phra Phutthabat before being used in the coronation ceremony, as well as, other royal rites in the palace. The sacred water was taken from 5 rivers; namely, the Chao Phraya River (from Ang Thong), the Phetchaburi River (from Phetchaburi), the Ratchaburi River (from Samut Sakhon), the Bang Pakong River (from Nakhon Nayok) and the Pa Sak River (from Saraburi) and, therefore, originated the name of “Bencha Sutthi Khongkha” or “five pure rivers”.

Wat Samuha Pradittharam (วัดสมุหประดิษฐาราม) is located in Suan Dok Mai Sub-district, 2 kilometres from the District Office. Its Ubosot was completely constructed in 1897. Inside are very beautiful mural paintings depicting the Khawi folk tale, the main Buddha image taken from Sukhothai’s Ancient City and cast of bronze covering with gold leaves in the posture of subduing Mara, as well as, the images of the Lord’s 2 major disciples: Moggallana and Sariputta residing on both sides. In September every year, a traditional long boat race is organised at this temple.

Wat Chanthaburi (วัดจันทบุรี) is located at Ban Mueang Kao, Mu 6, Mueang Kao Sub-district, 1 kilometre beyond the District Office. Take Highway No. 3041. The temple is on the right side. There is a clear direction sign to the temple. The admirable points are the Ubosot, constructed in 1893 during the reign of King Rama III in brick and cement with a gable roof, Cho Fa - gable finial - and Bai Raka - crockets - on the roof. The gable is decorated with stucco relief and crockery. Inside are mural paintings of the similar period as the Ubosot which remain perfect and beautiful, depicting the gathering of angels and story of the Lord Buddha.

Weaving Centre of Tambon Ban Ton Tan (ศูนย์การเรียนรู้ทอผ้าตำบลบ้านต้นตาล) was originated from a group of unemployed women but would like to make use of their free time and create more income for their families. This centre is a complete learning venue for youth and the public. There are various kinds of woven fabric on display such as loincloth, plain coloured cloth, Pha Si Khao, and fabric in the Dok Phikun – bullet wood flower – pattern, which is a traditional Thai Yuan style. To get there: Take Highway No. 3041 and turn right on to Highway No. 3341 until reaching Ban Pak Bang. Enter the same entrance as Wat Ton Tan. The centre is near the temple.

Amphoe Ban Mo


Thanon Phrachao Songtham or Thanon Farang Song Klong (ถนนพระเจ้าทรงธรรม หรือ ถนนฝรั่งส่องกล้อง) is a road constructed during the reign of King Songtham when he came to examine the Buddha’s footprint by his royal barge travelling along the Pa Sak River. As the king arrived at the pier, he continued his trip by an elephant led by Phran Bun. On his way back, he ordered a foreigner to look through a telescope and had a 10-wa (20-metre) road cut as a royal path straight through to the pier.

At present, approximately 9 kilometres of the path remain to be seen, starting from the area opposite Wat Sang Sok. The first kilometre is a dirt path, which is no longer used and the rest is a laterite road passing behind Wat Panchaphirom, Wat Nong Khonthi, crossing Phra Phutthabat – Ban Mo Road in front of Wat Kanlayana Banphot, passing in front of Chaopho Khao Tok Shrine and Phra Tamnak Sa Yo before disappearing. It was transferred into a laterite and concrete road with a width of 6-8 metres.

Thale Ban Mo (ทะเลบ้านหมอ) is situated at Tambon Ban Mo and Tambon Sang Sok, covering an area of 1,600 rai. Thale Ban Mo is a deep and wide pond, being a habitat of various water animals with a serene atmosphere. During February to July, a flock of thousands of migratory birds from Siberia will come, and live in this area. Also, around this place are various decorative flowers which create a peaceful atmosphere, as well as, an islet that admirably lies in the middle of the pond.

Amphoe Phra Phutthabat


Samnak Song Tham Krabok (สำนักสงฆ์ถ้ำกระบอก) is located at Prong Prap hills, Khun Khlon Sub-district, 25 kilometres from the centre of Saraburi along Phahonyothin Road. It is on the left side if coming from Mueang district of Saraburi. Its entrance is between Km. 132-133. It is a well-known rehabilitation centre for drug addicts. This monastic residence was established by a Buddhist nun, Mian Panchan in 1957. After her death, Luangpho Chamrun Panchan, her nephew, has continued the mission. He was awarded the “Magsaysay Award” on 10 September, 1975.

Wat Phra Phutthabat (วัดพระพุทธบาทราชวรมหาวิหาร) is located in Khun Khlon Sub-district, 28 kilometres from the provincial town; turn left for 1 kilometre before arriving in Phra Phutthabat District. It is a first-class royal temple constructed in 1624 during the reign of King Songtham. The important place of worship here is the “Lord Buddha’s Footprint” found on a stone slab on Suwan Banphot Hill or Satchaphantha Khiri Hill. The Lord Buddha’s footprint measures 21 inches wide, 60 inches long, and 11 inches deep. It was discovered during the reign of King Songtham of Ayutthaya. The footprint had all 108 auspicious characteristics, so the king commanded that a temporary Mondop be built to cover the footprint. The Mondop has been refurbished several times. Also King Rama V’s Cho Po Ro initials were discovered on stone, which was 160 centimetres from the ground, inscribed when King Rama V visited and paid respect to the footprint.

The Mondop is a square building, has a seven-tiered Prasat roof. Each tier is covered with green glazed tiles and decorated with miniature gables. It is supported all around by redented pillars gilded and inlaid with coloured glass. The external walls are also gilded and inlaid with coloured glass into the Thep Phanom – angels in adoration – and Phum Khao Bin patterns. The mother-of-pearl inlaid artwork on the Mondop’s door panels represents one of the best forms of craftsmanship in the country. The floor inside is spread with woven silver mats. The Mondop has 3 Naga staircases, each representing silver, gold and glass stairs that stretch from heaven. Five-headed Nagas cast in bronze flank the stairs. The Mondop is surrounded by bells, which visitors can rap to dedicate merit to all human beings. The Ubosot and Wihans were built in accordance with the architecture of the Ayutthaya and early Rattanakhosin periods.

Moreover, in the temple compound, there is the Phra Phutthabat National Museum (พิพิธภัณฑสถานแห่งชาติพระพุทธบาท (วิหารหลวง)) which displays various precious artefacts and art objects such as King Songtham’s attire, ceramics, bronze ware, old weapons, a replica of the Lord Buddha’s footprint, and old Mondop’s spire, Phat Yot – ecclesiastical fans - from various periods, and water pipes dating from King Narai The Great’s reign. This museum is open only during the Phra Phutthabat Fair which is held twice a year, during the eighth day of the waxing moon until the first day of the waning moon in the third month and the fourth month of the lunar calendar. Admission is 30 Baht.

Bo Phran Lang Nuea (บ่อพรานล้างเนื้อ) is a small stone well near Wat Phra Phutthabat. The mouth of the well was later constructed. At the mouth of the well are knee prints. There are stone slopes and a deep hole whose size is equal to a can of milk near the well. The water that flows from the hole is believed to be holy water. According to legend, Phran Bun, a hunter who found Lord Buddha’s footprint, washed game meat at this well by kneeling down and the small hole was made from his spear which was struck into the ground. There is a continuous flow of water from the well.

Phra Tamnak Than Kasem (พระตำหนักธารเกษม) is located in Khun Khlon Sub-district, between the Bangkok Bank, Phra Phutthabat Branch, and Saraburi Girl’s Home, on the bank of Than Thong Daeng, a stream running through Phra Phutthabat surrounded by abundant trees and created pleasure for King Prasat Thong. This palace was built in 1633 during the reign of King Prasat Thong as a residence on his royal visit to pay respect to Phra Phutthabat. The base of the palace still remains nowadays.

Than Thong Daeng originates from Khao Than Thong Daeng in Phra Phutthabat District and flows toward Nong Don District. The second volume of the Royal Chronicles revised by King Rama IV mentioned that King Prasat Thong commanded a residence by the stream constructed. A pipe with a T-joint was found by the stream (at present, it is reserved in the Phra Phutthabat Museum). This pipe is similar to the water main nowadays but a lot bigger and made of copper with the diameter of 20 centimetres. Moreover, within this area, a dyke with a channel to take water for use in the Thai Phikun Royal Residence was discovered. It is an ancient remain made of brick and cement constructed in the Ayutthaya period. Nowadays, it is still a stream but a very shallow one. The masonry remains of the dyke can be seen along the edge of the stream.

Tham Thep Nimit Than Thong Daeng (ถ้ำเทพนิมิตรธารทองแดง) is located at Wat Phu Kham Banphot, Phu Kham Chan Sub-district. It is a prehistoric archaeological site. Artefacts of the late Neolithic period were discovered. They are similar to those of Ban Tha Khae, Ban Di Lang and Sap Champa in Lop Buri. It is assumed that people in that period who lived in the area might be related. At present, there are no artefacts left in the cave. To get there: Arriving from Saraburi, the entrance of the temple will be on the right side on Highway No. 1 between Km. 130-133. The entrance is a similar way to that of Wat Phu Kham Chan but turn right before crossing the bridge and turn right again.

Tham Narai or Tham Khao Wong (ถ้ำนารายณ์ หรือถ้ำเขาวง) is located in Ban Khao Wong. It is a stalagmite and stalactite cave with ancient Mon scripts at the entrance of the cave.

Tamnak Sa Yo (ตำหนักสระยอ) is a royal residence constructed at the edge of Than Thong Daeng after Somdet Phrachao Prasat Thong’s command when he visited to pay respect to Phra Phutthabat. At present, only its base still remains.

Phra Tamnak Thai Phikun, the Ancient Palace (พระตำหนักท้ายพิกุล พระราชวังโบราณ) Nowadays there is no remains of the palace. Only the royal elephant mounting platform and the wall around the area are left.

Amphoe Kaeng Khoi


Tham Phrathat Charoen Tham or Tham Bo Pla (ถ้ำพระธาตุเจริญธรรม หรือถ้ำบ่อปลา): The passage from its entrance is laid by the marble leading the way through the cave. The cave is divided into 3 big rooms. The first one called “Tham Bo Pla” where a large number of fish swim into the area. “Tham Thong Phra Rong” is the second room in which lie beautiful stalagmites and stalactites in a shape similar to Kuan Im Bodhisattva and Hok Lok Sio, the three Chinese gods. The third room is also divided into small rooms with many shapes of stalagmites and stalactites, similar to coral reefs. It can be visited in the dry season. Moreover, at its back lie 2 large caves including Tham Sam Khao and Tham Thep Prathan. The cave is closed on weekdays and opened during the weekends from 8.00 a.m. – 6.00 p.m. In the cave resides Luangpho Yai, a stucco Buddha image with black lacquer applied, as well as, covered with gold leaves in the gesture of subduing Mara from the Ayutthaya period. To get there: The cave is accessible via 2 routes. Drive for 12 kilometres from the town along Mittraphap Road and turn left to Kaeng Khoi District through the market and continue for 8 kilometres over the Adireksan Bridge. Alternatively, drive for 15 kilometres from the town along Highway No. 1 to Phu Khae Witthaya School and then drive for 10 kilometres on the Phu Khae - Kaeng Khoi Road.

Pha Sadet (ผาเสด็จ) is located near the railway in Thap Kwang Sub-district, 30 kilometres from town. Take Mittraphap Road – Highway No. 2 - for approximately 25 kilometres until reaching Km. 132-133. From Saraburi, turn left at Ban Sap Bon School and go further for 3 kilometres. Pha Sadet is 50 metres from the train station. It is the cliff where King Rama V and the Queen resided when the Bangkok – Nakhon Ratchasima railway was constructed in 1895. Both of them also inscribed their royal initials, Cho Pho Ro and So Pho at the cliff.

Tham Phra Phothisat (ถ้ำพระโพธิสัตว์) is situated in the compound of Wat Tham Phra Phothisat, Thap Kwang Sub-district, 32 kilometres from the town. There is a bas-relief of the Dvaravati period on the cave wall, depicting the preaching Buddha and Hindu gods. Inside the cave, there are beautiful stalagmites and stalactites. Outside the cave are plenty of trees of various kinds, as well as, the royal initials, Cho Pho Ro, inscribed as King Rama V witnessed the waterfall, Tham Thammathat, Tham Lumphini, a stone garden and Tham Sa-ngat Chedi. To get there: Take Highway No. 2 - Mittraphap Road - toward Nakhon Ratchasima for approximately 15 kilometres. From Saraburi, the temple is on the right side with a direction sign indicating a distance of 11 kilometres to the temple.

Khao Phra Phutthabat Noi (เขาพระพุทธบาทน้อย) is located within the compound of Wat Phra Phutthabat Noi, Song Khon Sub-district, featuring undulating steep limestone mountains comprising of many pointed summits. At these summits, endemic species including limestone wren-babblers and Sumatran serows which are called Indra’s horse by the locals can be viewed. The latter live in Tham Sam Khao, covering an area of nearly 1 rai. Inside lies a replica of the Buddha’s footprint, around 1 cubit wide and 3 cubits long imprinted deep into the ground. To get there: Take Mittraphap Road – Highway No. 2 - for 20 kilometres and turn left into Kaeng Khoi District. Cross Adireksan Bridge and turn left along Adireksan Road. Then, turn right along Song Khon – Phra Bat Noi – Phu Khae Road for around 75 kilometres to Wat Phra Phutthabat Noi.

Phra Bowon Ratchawang Si Tha (พระบวรราชวังสีทา) is in Song Khon Sub-district. King Pinklao had this palace constructed on the western side of the Pa Sak River in Ban Si Tha Sub-district in Saraburi in the similar period as when King Rama IV had Phra Narai Ratchaniwet constructed in Lop Buri. Due to the aim to search for a location for a wartime capital, King Rama IV commanded King Pinklao (his brother) to conduct an inspection in Nakhon Ratchasima. King Pinklao realized that the location was not appropriate and preferred Khao Khok in Saraburi because it seemed like a natural fortress. Therefore, he commanded the construction of his residence in Ban Si Tha Sub-district because from there Khao Khok was easily accessible. King Pinklao, thus, resided at the palace, while Khao Khok was equipped as a fortress to fight opponents. King Pinklao occasionally went to reside at Phra Bowon Ratchawang Si Tha throughout his life. As the structure of the royal residence was all wooden, after the death of King Pinklao, King Rama IV had the residence demolished and used some of the materials to construct a palace for King Pinklao’s children, while some others were destroyed and lost. At present, the location of the palace has been inhabited by the local people as it used to be. The compound of the residence was very large, covering an area of approximately more than 150 rai. Its remain is a lotus base for a wooden house made of brick and cement. The base is approximately 20 metres wide and 40 metres long. It is assumed to have been constructed into 2 houses by using very hard bricks measuring 4 inches thick, 6 inches wide and 12 inches long. At present, the locals use this area as a cornfield. The remains have been plowed so much that they can hardly be noticed. However, there is an area of around 4 rai left which the Kamnan - village headman, Mr. Suphat Ritthichampha, has reserved as a public area. In this area appears a door platform made of brick and cement with traces of wooden plates laid as a bridge to the pond which is called “Bueng Talat Chai” by the locals. It is situated on the south of Wang Si Tha, 100 metres apart. It has been told as the royal bathing spot and a gathering site of the ladies of the court when the king took a vacation at this place every year. It has also been told that the king’s ladies were so fluent in singing Laotian songs that he himself was able to play Khaen – a Laotian flute and sing Laotian songs. He also wrote many books of lyrics for Laotian songs, which have been preserved in the National Library until the present time.

Ban Dong Nam Bo Archaeological Site (แหล่งโบราณคดีบ้านดงน้ำบ่อ) Take Highway No. 334 to Khao Sung Station (6 kilometres from Than Tawan – sunflower - Valley, Hin Son Sub-district) pass Huai Sap Muang and turn right to visit the burial site of the human beings in the late pre-historic period, where there are many layers of skeletons lying from the east to the west. It is a cemetery where burial ceremonies were conducted and an archaeological site of the Pa Sak River culture. Also, iron and stone tools, jewellery, bangles and beads, aged approximately 2,000 years were discovered.

Chet Khot - Pong Kon Sao Nature and Ecotourism Study Centre (ศูนย์ศึกษาธรรมชาติและท่องเที่ยวเชิงนิเวศเจ็ดคด-โป่งก้อนเส้า) covers an area of 13,750 rai and is situated in Tha Maprang Sub-district. It is abundant with a biodiversity of both plants and animals. It is next to the west part of Khao Yai National Park and comprises many kinds of forests such as dry evergreen forest, moist evergreen forest, mixed deciduous forest and savanna that together create a variety of plants. It is also an origin of many waterfalls in the area. Plants in this area are herbs such as Phaya Mi Rit, Ma Krathuep Rong, Kwao Khruea, medicinal plants, as well as, various kinds of mushrooms such as cup fungi. Animals living in this compound are wild elephants, gaurs, bears, deer, barking deer, lories, mouse deer, wild boar and approximately 158 kinds of birds such as barbets, woodpeckers, red-wattled lapwings, bulbuls, blue magpies, etc. flying across between the centre and Khao Yai.

From the office, there are trekking routes to waterfalls which can be divided into rounds. For example, Small Round (Namtok Chet Khot Nuea), being a distance of 12 kilometres and taking approximately 1 hour. The fee is 150 Baht/ 1 guide/ 10 tourists. Medium Round (Namtok Chet Khot Nuea, Klang, Tai) Namtok Chet Khot Nuea is a 4-tiered waterfall, surrounded by a bamboo forest. In December, there are flowers blooming along the path of the brook to the waterfall. Trekking southward along Chet Khot Brook for 150 metres, Namtok Chet Khot Klang will be discovered. It is a 1-tiered waterfall with a large basin in which visitors can swim. Go further for approximately 150 metres visitors will arrive at Namtok Chet Khot Tai. It is a beautiful 1-tiered waterfall with a height of 40 metres. The water from this waterfall will drop vertically to the Chet Khot Brook, on which both sides lie various kinds of plants such as Ueang Mai Na, Phanom Sawan, Khrai Nam, ferns like Foen Kan Dam and Kratae Tai Mai, etc. as well as, a variety of animals such as spiny rock crabs, dragon flies, and butterflies in many colours. The distance is 3 kilometres and takes approximately 2 ½ hours to get there. The fee is 200 Baht. Big Round (Namtok Chet Khot Nuea, Klang, Tai and Namtok Chet Khot Yai) is the most beautiful route. Namtok Chet Khot Yai will be full of water all year round, while others will have water only during the rainy season. This route is a 4-kilometre walk and takes approximately 4 hours. The fee is 300 Baht. There are routes connecting to other waterfalls such as Namtok Khao Raet which can be stayed overnight. The distance to get there is 6 kilometres with a 400-Baht fee. Namtok Krok I Dok is a very beautiful waterfall with 7 tiers or more than 350 metres high. It is appropriate for adventure lovers because they will have to walk to the waterfall and the accessible path is quite rough. It takes 7-8 hours to get there. Tourists have to prepare the necessary equipment and be healthy. However, it is worth the walk because Namtok Krok I Dok, especially the 6th and 7th tiers are very beautiful. The starting point of this route is at Ban Tako Dan, approximately 20 kilometres from the centre. Visitors have to arrive at the centre before 7 o’clock in order to stay overnight. The fee is 400 Baht.

Nature Study Routes (เส้นทางศึกษาธรรมชาติ) There are 3 overall. The first route is from the sightseeing spot located 12 kilometres from the centre. It is a place where the scenery of the sunset can be admired. From the spot to Sap Pa Wan Reservoir is 1.5 kilometres and takes 1 ½ hours. The second route is from Sap Pa Wan Reservoir to Hin Dat Waterfall which is one tier but wide and surrounded with beautiful flowers such as orchids like Lin Mangkon (Habenaria rhodocheila), Dok Thian (Balsamina), etc. Then, continue to Namtok Khlong Phak Nam and return to the reservoir. The overall distance is 4 kilometres and takes 4 hours. The third route is from Sap Pa Wan Reservoir to Namtok Chet Khot Nuea, Klang and Tai and return to Sap Pa Wan Reservoir. The overall distance is 4 kilometres and takes 4 hours.

Other waterfalls found in the area and nearby are differently splendid. Significant ones are as follows: Namtok Khao Khaep, a 7-tiered waterfall with a height of 30 metres. It is very attractive. The water passage is small, therefore, the water falls in line and hits the stones below, creating splashes. The basin for the waterfall is big and deep containing emerald-green water. Namtok Krok Fa Phanang is near Namtok Krok I Dok with a height of 20 metres. It is a steep cliff appropriate for those who admire adventure. Namtok Sap Pa Wan is not too high. Its water originates from the reservoir of the project. It is appropriate to travel during the rainy season or the period when there is a lot of water because the water passage is safe from the mountain torrent and the trail is a plain and easy walk. At each tier of the waterfall, there is a relaxing rock terrace. Besides trekking, the centre also prepares an animal watching activity for 1 kilometre.

Accommodation and Facilities: There are 28 houses and tents for rent for 100 Baht/ person/ night and sleeping bags for 50 Baht/ person/ night. Tourists have to prepare their own provisions –Starting a fire is prohibited but a picnic or charcoal stove is allowed.

To get there: From Saraburi town, take Highway No. 2 - Mittraphap Road. Turn into the entrance of the centre which will be on the right side, opposite the Furukawa Co., Ltd. for 17 kilometres. There is a clear direction sign. For more information, please contact Chet Khot – Pong Kon Sao Natural and Ecotourism Study Centre, Mu 5, Tha Maprang Sub-district, Kaeng Khoi District, Saraburi, at Tel. 0 3622 7156, 08 9237 8659 or Saraburi Provincial Forest Office, Na Phra Lan Sub-district, Chaloem Phra Kiat District, Saraburi, at Tel. 0 3634 7105-6 Ext: 400, 501 during office hours.

Sekeikyuseikyo Thai Headquarters (องค์การศาสนาเซไคคิวเซเคียวประจำประเทศไทย) covers an area of approximately 430 rai and is located at 90/1 Mu 1, Cham Phak Phaeo Sub-district, Kaeng Khoi District, Saraburi, 126 kilometres from Bangkok. 8 kilometres off Mittraphap Road lies the tropical Miroku Botanic Garden with a vision towards excellence in academics, scientific study, religion and art of botanical beauty within a perfect condition. There is also a pool, marble sculptures in various shapes, and a Japanese garden with a beautiful landscape. The other side of the project lies an organic demonstration vegetable plot by using the Effective Microorganisms (EM) technology, a use of a micro-organism to reduce pollution in the environment.

Rafting along the Pa Sak River (การล่องแม่น้ำป่าสัก), which runs through Kaeng Khoi District. The natural surroundings along both sides of the river is beautiful. The mountains line up along the rafting route. At some parts are stones and cliffs in strange shapes, similar to animal ones. Moreover, trekking and staying overnight at Hat Pha Mi which is 2 rai wide or doing fishing for spiny eel in Khaeng Khoi District can be done. It is 15 kilometres from the province on Mittraphap Road. There is a private company providing a raft and motor boat service for tourists. For boat rental, visitors can contact any resorts along the Pa Sak River such as Supalai Pasak Resort at Tel. 0 3630 6270-2 or Hat Song Khwae Resort at Tel. 0 3622 7215, 0 3623 7554-55.

Amphoe Muak Lek


There are many routes from Bangkok to Muak Lek as follows: By bus: take a bus at the Bangkok Northeastern Bus Terminal bound for Nakhon Ratchasima and get off at Muak Lek Bus Station. By train: take a train from Hua Lamphong Station to Muak Lek. There will be mini-buses provided all day at the station.

Namtok Heo Noi (น้ำตกเหวน้อย) is located at Ban Muak Lek Nai and is the source of Namtok Muak Lek and Namtok Chet Sao Noi. Proceeding further from this waterfall, visitors will discover Namtok Heo Rang and Namtok Pong Ta Long which are high waterfalls in Khao Yai National Park. The most appropriate period of travelling is during July - November.

Muak Lek Arboretum (สวนรุกขชาติมวกเหล็ก) and Namtok Muak Lek (น้ำตกมวกเหล็ก) is 37 kilometres from Saraburi town along Mittraphap Road. The entrance is on the left side and opposite the store of the Dairy Farming Promotion Organisation of Thailand. It covers an area of 375 rai in Muak Lek District, Saraburi, and Pak Chong District, Nakhon Ratchasima. The lively stream originates from the tributaries in Khao Yai National Park that flow into the Pa Sak River that is the border between the two provinces. The stream has rock slopes that form small beautiful cascades. Along the stream are hanging bridges and various kinds of plants and flowers.

Namtok Chet Sao Noi National Park (อุทยานแห่งชาติน้ำตกเจ็ดสาวน้อย) is located in Muak Lek Sub-district. Use the same entrance as Namtok Muak Lek and continue for another 9 kilometres on an asphalt road. The waterfall flows along a stream and has 7 levels. The height of each level is approximately 4 metres and offers a spacious shady swimming area.

Take the Muak Lek route on Highway No. 2224. Along the route to the waterfall lies a brook, as well as, many private resorts.

Namtok Sap Heo (น้ำตกซับเหว) Take Highway No. 2273 until the intersection to Pong Keng Khet, Muak Lek District, and turn right for 5 kilometres to Sap Heo Mu 5 Village Office, and pass the sunflower fields of more than 1,800 rai. Namtok Sap Heo is 30 metres high surrounded by valleys. There is a large basin for swimming. On the right side of the waterfall is a path to a small cave which houses stalagmites and stalactites. Trekking to the waterfall is quite difficult.

Tham Dao Khao Kaeo (ถ้ำดาวเขาแก้ว) is located at Phaya Klang Sub-district, 38 kilometres from Muak Lek District or approximately 75 kilometres from Saraburi town. It is the same way as Namtok Chet Sao Noi but go further for 30 kilometres. There are direction signs all the way. Take Highway No. 2224 and turn left to the laterite road for 5 kilometres. Visitors who wish to go to the cave will have to climb the stairs from the foot of the hill to the mouth of the cave for 100 metres. The distinguished points of this cave are its red, black and brown spots on the ceiling, as well as, the stalagmites and stalactites and a lot of bats.

Besides, at the Muak Lek District, there are vineyards open all year for tourists. Visitors can either taste fresh grapes, processed grape products such as wine, seedless grapes, grape juice, grape candy, grape jam, raisins, preserved grape jam, etc. or join a grape picking activity. The vineyards open to the public are Kamnan Meng’s Vineyard, Tel. 0 3634 4693; Khun Mali’s, Tel. 0 3622 7056-7, 08 1853 5893; or Phu Amon Vineyard and Wine, Tel. 0 3632 7183, 08 1906 9373. Seedless grapes can be purchased at Kamnan Meng’s Vineyard, 101 Mu 5 (the entrance to Ban Bo Tana), Mittraphap Road, Muak Lek District, Tel. 0 3634 4693, 0 3634 1015, Rai Nam Phu Fa at Lam Phaya Klang Sub-district, Muak Lek District, Tel. 08 1216 6419. To get there: The vineyards will be along Highway No. 2089, the Muak Lek - Wang Muang route.

The Dairy Farming Promotion Organisation of Thailand (องค์การส่งเสริมกิจการโคนมแห่งประเทศไทย (อ.ส.ค.)) In 1960, His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej and Her Majesty Queen Sirikit visited Denmark and were very interested in their dairy farming. Then, the Danish government and the Danish Dairy Farming Association together offered a promotion project on the raising of dairy cows. They coordinated with the Thai government to establish the Thai-Danish Dairy Farm (TDDF) and a training centre in Muak Lek District, Saraburi. King Bhumibol and King Frederic IX of Denmark together inaugurated the farm on 16 January, 1962. All business was later transferred to the Royal Thai Government and became the Dairy Farming Promotion Organisation of Thailand, (DFPO), with an aim to promote the occupation of conducting dairy farms and to purchase raw milk from the farmers to further transform into dairy products. For more information, contact Tel. 0 3634 1200, 0 3634 1328.

Amphoe Wang Muang


Pa Sak Jolasid Dam (เขื่อนป่าสักชลสิทธิ์) which was selected as one of the “Unseen Thailand Destinations” covers an area in the Ban Kham Phran, Wang Muang District, Saraburi, and Nong Bua Sub-district, Phatthana Nikhom District, Lop Buri. It is the longest earth filled dam in Thailand with a length of 4,860 metres along the crest. It was constructed in accordance with the development project of the areas along the Pa Sak River after the royal initiative of His Majesty the King. The dam was constructed by the arrangement of stones with a core made of clay. There are 7 water gates and 2 outlet tunnels, storing water of approximately 1,000 million cubic metres. The construction began on 2 December, 1994, and the King presided over the opening ceremony of the dam on 25 November, 1999. The reservoir area is a very beautiful tourist attraction surrounded by a pleasant atmosphere. A tour service along the crest of the dam by tram is provided. For more information, contact Tel. 0 3649 4291-2.

Tree Tunnel (อุโมงค์ต้นไม้) is an arch formed by trees bending towards each other on both sides of the road, similar to a 200-metre long tunnel with shady beauty. Visitors usually drop by and take photos. To get there: From the town, take Highway No. 2 and turn into Highway No. 2089. The tree tunnel will be at Km. 24-25, with an indication sign.

Sunflower Fields (ทุ่งทานตะวัน) are found between Lop Buri and Saraburi, along the Phatthana Nikhom – Wang Muang route. From November – December, the yellow sunflower fields along the road attract all passers-by when they are in full bloom. For more information, contact the Wang Mueang District Agriculture Office at Tel. 0 3635 9021.

The sunflower is a plant in the same family as chrysanthemum, safflower, marigold and Mexican sunflower, which are annual plants. It likes strong sunlight, is capable of withstanding dry conditions, needs a little water and possesses a short life span. Sunflowers are usually grown after the rainy season from around September onwards. Therefore, they are usually planted as a substitution of an off-season rice field or other kinds of plants. They are an economic plant providing not only the benefits from harvesting, but also generating tourism income. This is because when sunflowers in thousands of fields are blooming, creating splendid vast golden fields of flowers as far as the eye can see, they can attract hundreds of thousands of tourists from all over the country to visit and take photos as souvenirs.

Preserved food from sunflowers include dried sunflower seeds, sunflower seed cookies, chips, crispy sheets, sunflower honey, bee pollen, royal jelly, etc. There are also woven products made of dried palm leaf.

Amphoe Wihan Daeng


Chedi Phrakhun Mae (เจดีย์พระคุณแม่) is situated at Wat Khlong Mai, Nong Mu Sub-district, 42 kilometres from the province. Take Highway No. 1 or Phahonyothin Road toward Bangkok, passing Hin Kong and Nong Khae Market. Before crossing the Raphiphat Bridge, turn left to the road along Khlong Chonlaprathan to Wat Khlong Mai and turn left, passing the Nong Khae District Office for 5 kilometres. Chedi Phrakhun Mae has a similar shape to Phra Pathom Chedi and houses a replica of the Buddha’s footprint. The chedi is surrounded by the Buddha images representing the seven days of the week. This chedi was constructed to encourage good children to remember the kindness of their mothers and conduct goodness in return.

Amphoe Nong Khae


Phai Tam Sub-district Bird Garden (สวนนกธรรมชาติตำบลไผ่ต่ำ) is situated in the compound of a bamboo forest at Lung Tom Mueanmaen’s house, an ex-village headman of Mu 6, Phai Tam Sub-district. The garden covers an area of approximately 3 rai and is a residence of various kinds of birds of more than 17 species such as starlings, magpie robins, doves, white-breasted waterhens, little cormorants, black-crowned night-herons and herons. These birds always find their food early in the morning and fly back to their nest at dust. To get there: Take Highway No. 1 - Phahonyothin Road - from Bangkok to Km. 83-84. On the left, there will be a direction sign leading to Wat Rat Sattha Tham or Wat Phai Tam. Turn left and go further for approximately 800 metres until reaching Khlong Chonlaprathan (Irrigation Canal). Turn left and proceed along the canal for approximately 150 metres.

Attractions in the Military Area


At present, more military areas within Saraburi have been organised as tourist attractions. Each part of the area provides interesting activities for tourists, including those interested in visiting the place and participating in the activities. The popular military tourism activities are mountain biking, mountain climbing, trekking, etc. Each force offers different activities providing beneficial knowledge for tourists. Interesting attractions inside the Cavalry Centre, Adisorn Camp, Mittraphap Road, Pak Phriao Sub-district, Mueang District, are as follows:

Cavalry Museum is open during official hours from 8.30 a.m. – 4.00 p.m., Saturday – Sunday and public holidays from 9.00 a.m. – 3.00 p.m. For more information, contact Tel. 0 3621 2058-9 Ext: 64232.

Horse Riding for Tourism is divided into the demonstration of horse riding, the basic programme of horse riding and domestic horse riding. It is open during official hours from 4.30 – 6.00 p.m. Saturday – Sunday and public holidays from 7.00 – 9.00 a.m., 4.00 – 6.00 p.m. For more information, contact Tel. 0 3621 2058-9 Ext: 64360.

Battle Crafts in the Past (Ancient Tanks) is open to visit and try, as well as, take photos within the tank. It is open during official hours. For more information, contact Tel. 0 3621 2058-9 Ext: 64309.

Adisorn Camp Shooting Range is open daily from 9.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m. For more information, contact Tel. 0 3621 3023.

Various Military Activities to choose from include trekking, camping, walk-rally, mind test, and rock climbing. For more information, contact Tel. 0 3621 2547.

Queen Sirikit Health Park is open daily from 6.00 a.m. – 7.30 p.m. For more information, contact Tel. 0 3621 2547.

Adisorn Golf Club is open daily with 18 holes. For more information, contact Tel. 0 3621 2058-9 Ext: 64148.

Adisorn Swimming Pool is open during official hours from 3.00 – 7.00 p.m. On Saturday – Sunday and public holidays open from 10.00 a.m. – 7.00 p.m. For more information, contact Tel. 0 3621 2058-9 Ext: 64355.

Adisorn Gymnasium is open daily from 3.00 – 10.00 p.m. For more information, please contact Tel. 0 3621 2058-9 Ext: 64269.



Events and Festivals


The National Dairy Cow Festival (งานโคนมแห่งชาติ) is organized in Muak Lek District in January every year. H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn is the chairperson in the opening ceremony. It is the biggest event of the professional dairy cow farmers.

Phra Phutthabat Homage Paying Fair (งานนมัสการรอยพระพุทธบาท) is held twice a year: from the first day of the waxing moon till the full moon day in the third lunar month totalling 15 days; and from the eighth day of the waxing moon until the full moon day in the fourth lunar month for 8 days.

Kam Fa Festival (ประเพณีกำฟ้า) is held on the second day of the waxing moon in the third lunar month. The eve of the festival features various forms of folk entertainment and activities including cockfighting, toasting sticky rice in bamboo, etc. On the third day of the waxing moon in the third lunar month, the day of the Kam Fa Festival, people perform merit making and attend sermons, etc. The festival takes place annually at Phai Lio Sub-district, Don Phut District.

Wat Sung Songkran Festival and Sao Nang Takhian Bathing (ประเพณีสงกรานต์สรงน้ำเสานางตะเคียนวัดสูง) is held annually on 23 April in front of Wat Sung’s ordination hall, Sao Hai District. People perform merit making and pour water onto elders and to Nang Takhian pillar.

Hae Phra Khiao Kaeo (ประเพณีแห่พระเขี้ยวแก้ว) Buddhists believe that Phra Khiao Kaeo was the tooth of the Lord Buddha. The tradition is held on the first day of the waxing moon in the fourth lunar month. The people of Amphoe Phra Phutthabat will take the tooth from Wat Phra Phutthabat Ratchaworamahawihan Museum and bear it in a procession around the town. They believe that if the procession is held, they will live in wealth and happiness. It is an annual tradition of Phra Phutthabat District.

Chaopho Khao Tok Fair or Chaopho Khao Tok Procession (ประเพณีเจ้าพ่อเขาตก หรือ งานแห่เจ้าพ่อเขาตก) is held at Wat Phra Phutthabat Ratchaworamahawihan, Phra Phutthabat District, and is an annual fair. The event features the supernatural power performances of Chaopho Khao Tok and walking on fire, Lo Ko dragon parade and Chinese opera. Mostly Chinese people, especially the followers of Chaopho Khao Tok from all over the country will come to join the festival. The event is held from the first day of the waxing moon in the fourth lunar month for 4 days.

Tak Bat Dok Mai Ceremony (ประเพณีตักบาตรดอกไม้) is considered as the significant tradition of Phra Phutthabat District. This merit-making ceremony is held to coincide with the start of the annual three-month Buddhist Lent on the first day of the waning moon of the eighth lunar month. During the ceremony, people will offer alms to monks, as well as, candles for the Buddhist Lent to Wat Phra Phutthabat in the morning. During the afternoon, they will offer flowers to the monks at Wat Phra Phutthabat Ratchaworamahawihan, Khun Khlon Sub-district, Phra Phutthabat District. They will go to collect a kind of flower similar to Krachai (Rotunda) or turmeric with yellow or white flowers called “The Flower of Buddhist Lent”. This herb-like flower is found on the hillside only during the Buddhist Lent period and only in Saraburi. While the monks are walking up the staircase to bring the flowers to pay homage to the Lord Buddha’s footprint, people will wait along the steps with a bowl of clean water floated with bullet wood flowers. They will pour the water onto the feet of the monks as a means of washing their sins. The Flower of Buddhist Lent was listed as a new species of plant in the world in the International Flowers Fair in July 2001 at Jurong Bird Park in Singapore.

Pa Sak Boat Racing Festival (การแข่งขันเรือยาวประเพณีลุ่ม��้ำป่าสัก) is a major annual regatta that takes place at the pier in front of the Sao Hai District Office on the last Saturday or Sunday of September. Famous long boats from all over the country join in the race divided into 4 categories of 55 paddlers, 30 paddlers, 12 paddlers, and 10 paddlers. This festival is a way to preserve the local tradition.



Cliff Climbing – Abseiling (ปีนหน้าผา-โรยตัว) at Wat Phra Chai, Mueang District. It is a large cliff with a height of 35 metres appropriate for the Bouldering Cliff Climbing- a climb of less than 5 metres high without using a rope. However, cushions are provided on the ground below and a climbing partner will always take care and block from behind the climber. The spot is on a mountain which is surrounded with cliffs on every side. On the east of Wat Phra Phutthachai lie large round stones alternating with timber forests. On the other route is a climbing location with a rope or Top Rope with a length of 40 metres. Also, this is a sightseeing spot of the plain of the Pa Sak River as well as the scenery of Saraburi. For more information, contact the Adventure Planet Co., Ltd. at Tel. 08 9164 1791 or at

Tham Lumphini Suan Hin (ถ้ำลุมพินีสวนหิน) is in Kaeng Khoi District with a length of 1,800 metres. It is the longest cave in perfect condition of Saraburi that has occured from the natural underground water. Along the route, visitors will have to climb down for 25 metres and walk through a pool of water, mud and sand as well as climb the fallen rocks. Throughout the route, visitors can see the distinguishable geological characteristics and beautiful stalagmites and stalactites. It takes a 3-4 hour journey. Moreover, in the area nearby, there is a bas-relief of a Bodhisattva in the Dvaravati style of cave art. To get there: From Saraburi town travel toward Nakhon Ratchasima for 20 kilometres, turn right to Tham Phra Phothisat for approximately 10 kilometres. For more information, contact the Adventure Planet Co., Ltd. at Tel. 08 9164 1791 or at

Kayaking (พายเรือคายัค) Visitors can do kayaking in Namtok Chet Sao Noi at the spot in which the National Park has prepared for tourists.


  • Sir James Resort and Golf Club (เซอร์เจมส์ รีสอร์ท แอนด์ กอล์ฟ คลับ) is at 195 Mu 9, Mittraphap Sub-district, Tel. 0 3634 1911 - 4 (18 holes).


Amphoe Mueang
  • Saraburi Inn (สระบุรี อินน์) is at 111 Mu 2, Mittraphap Road, Taling Chan Sub-district, Tel. 0 3621 8888. Oil massage and traditional Thai massage are provided.

Amphoe Kaeng Khoi (อำเภอแก่งคอย)
  • Supalai Pasak Resort (ศุภาลัย ป่าสัก รีสอร์ท) is at 79 Mu 1, Tha Khlo Sub-district, Tel. 0 3630 6270-3, or Bangkok Office, Tel. 0 2258 9494 ext. 128.

Amphoe Muak Lek
  • Muak Lek Health Spa and Resort (มวกเหล็ก เฮลท์ สปา แอนด์ รีสอร์ท) is at 208/1 Muak Lek – Wang Muang Road, Muak Lek Sub-district, Tel. 0 3634 1260, 0 3634 2775-79. Facial massage, body massage, traditional Thai massage and oil massage are provided.



Local Products and Souvenirs


There are many kinds of local products and souvenirs of Saraburi offering for tourists at markets and general shops as follows:

Food and Dairy Products: Products from the Dairy Farming Promotion Organisation of Thailand, Muak Lek Dairy Cooperatives, and private organizations are sold, including sweetened beef, salted beef, curry puff, vegetables and seasonal fruits like Nong Saeng mangoes, oranges, custard apples, pomegranates, dragon fruits, grapes, etc. They are sold at Muak Lek district and in the market.

Local Hand-woven Fabrics are Tin Chok, silk, and Mudmee textiles of the Thai Yuan people which are sold at Ton Tan Sub-district, Tha Chang Sub-district, Sao Hai District.

Seedless Grapes of Muak Lek District can be purchased at Kamnan Meng’s Vineyard, 101 Mu 5 (the entrance to Ban Bo Tana), Mittraphap Sub-district, Tel. 0 3634 4693, 0 3634 1015; Rai Nam Phu Fa in Lam Phaya Klang Sub-district, Tel. 08 1216 6419; Khun Mali’s Vineyard, Tel. 0 3622 7056-7; Rai Papatsara which provides the vineyard tour, horse and ostrich farms, Tel. 0 3636 4130, 0 3636 4475.

Phak Wan Pa – “Melientha suavis Pierre”- is sold at the Phak Wan Pa Farmer Group in Sang Sok Sub-district and Nong Bua Sub-district, Ban Mo District, and Ban Mo District Agriculture Office, Tel. 0 3620 1137.

Herbal Chinese Pork Sausage with Iodine (Kun Chiang), Sweet Dried Pork (Mu Sawan), Pounded Pork (Mu Thup) and Pork Stewed in Gravy (Mu Phalo) can be purchased at the Preserved Meat Product Occupation Group, Muak Lek District, Tel. 0 3634 1521.

Krayasat – cereals and nuts in honey caramel - can be purchased at Ban Yang Sub-district, Sao Hai District, Tel. 0 3633 3209.

Water Hyacinth Basketry is offered by the Ban Khok Kham Women Group, Mueang Kao Sub-district, Sao Hai District, Tel. 0 3639 1074.

Marble Products can be purchased in Na Phra Lan Sub-district, Chaloem Phra Kiat District.

Herbal Shampoo, Conditioner, Facial Foam by the Ban Tha Tum Women Group, Tha Tum Sub-district, Kaeng Khoi District, Tel. 0 3632 0529.

Straw Mushrooms by the Wihan Daeng Rice Farmer Group, Wihan Daeng Sub-district, Wihan Daeng District. For more information, contact Kamnan Charan Wongthapthim at Tel. 0 3637 7077.

Pla Soi Fish Sauce by the Nong Mon Woman Farmer Group, Ban Luang Sub-district, Don Phut District. Contact Phuyai Sa-no Khlaidara at Tel. 0 3638 5121.

Nong Saeng Mangoes can be found in every sub-district in Nong Saeng District.

Artificial Flowers Made of Banana Stems by the Nong Nok Chum Woman Farmer Group, Khok Sa-at District. Contact the Nong Saeng District Agriculture Office at Tel. 0 3636 6046.

Dried Beef can be purchased at the souvenir markets in Muak Lek District, Saraburi.

Curry Puffs are available in Muak Lek District and Mueang District, as well as, souvenir markets in the province.

Apart from the above products, there are other kinds of merchandise such as ceramic and glass products of Nong Khae District, DFPO’s dairy products in Muak Lek District, brown rice of Chaloem Phra Kiat District, oranges of Wihan Daeng District, Sao Hai Rice of Sao Hai District, and orange wine of Nong Rong Sub-district, Nong Khae District. For more information, contact the Office of Commercial Affairs Saraburi at Tel. 0 3622 1347 or at, or the Saraburi Community Development Office at Tel. 0 3622 1020.



Amphoe Mueang

  • I-Nguan (อีง้วน) 497 Phichai Ronnarong Songkham Road (Tel: 0 3621 1061), 22 rooms: 100-180 baht
  • Kieo An Hotel (เกียว อัน โฮเต็ล) 273-285 Pahonyothin Road (Tel: 0 3622 2022-9 Fax: 0 3622 2230-7), 238 rooms: 500-3,900 baht
  • Kieo-An (เกี่ยวอัน) 273-285 Phahonyothin Road (Tel: 0 3622 2022-9), 228 rooms: 500-3,900 baht
  • Saen Suk (แสนสุข) 194 Phahonyothin Road (Tel: 0 3622 1638, 0 3621 1104), 117 rooms: 190-260 baht
  • Saeng Thai Villa (แสงไทยวิลล่า) 518 Sut Banthat Road (Tel: 0 3621 1078, 0 3621 2115), 20 rooms: 100-300 baht
  • Sap Sin Rung Ruang (ทรัพย์สินรุ่งเรือง) 471-3 Phahonyothin Road (Tel: 0 3622 2206-8), 200 rooms: 460-1,800 baht
  • Saraburi Hotel (สระบุรีโฮเต็ล) 68 Sut Banthat Road (Tel: 0 3621 1646, 0 3621 1500, 0 3621 1861), 81 rooms: 260-550 baht
  • Saraburi Inn (สระบุรีอินน์) 111 Mu 2 Mittraphap Road (Tel: 0 3621 2492-3, 0 3631 4888-95 Bangkok Tel: 0 2388 0775-6), 109 rooms: 800-2,500 baht
  • Thanomsong (ถนอมทรง) 1210 Phra Charoen Road (Tel: 0 3621 1196), 10 rooms: 120-200 baht

Amphoe KaengKhoi

  • Chit Praphai Chalet (จิตรประไพชาเล่ต์) 112/2 Mu 3 Mittraphap-Sukhaphiban6 Road, Tambon Thap Kwang (Tel: 0 3635 7300 Bangkok Tel: 0 2884 9313-4), 40 rooms: 600-4,000 baht
  • Kaeng Khoi Resort (แก่งคอย รีสอร์ท) 7 Mu 1 Tambon Song Khoi (Tel: 0 3624 4392), 5 rooms: 250 baht
  • Rai Wansanit Resort (ไร่หวานสนิท รีสอร์ท) 89 Mu 3 Kaeng Khoi-Ban Na Road, Tambon Tha Maprang (Tel: 0 3621 1333 Bangkok Tel: 0 2511 0064, 0 2513 2144), 78 rooms: 800-1,100 baht
  • Siriporn (ศิริพร) 421-5 Liap Santisuk Road (Tel: 0 3624 4082), 18 rooms: 80-160 baht
  • Supalai Pasak Resort (ศุภาลัย ป่าสัก รีสอร์ท) 79 Mu 1, Tambon Tha Khlo (Tel: 0 3622 0066 Bangkok Tel: 0 2260 2223-6, 0 2258 9494), 100 rooms: 1,000-6,000 baht
  • Thai Niyom (ไทยนิยม) 376-8 Liap Santisuk Road (Tel: 0 3624 4185), 10 rooms: 60-120 baht
  • Thong Thong Resort (ท้องทองรีสอร์ท) Tambon Kaeng Khoi (Tel: 0 3624 4230 Bangkok Tel: 0 2279 8805)

Amphoe Muak Lek

  • Ban Suan Sai Pan (บ้านสวนสายป่าน) 45 Mu 8 Mittraphap Road (Tel: 0 3632 7336-7), 1,000-3,000 baht
  • Chim Kun Camp (ค่ายฉิ่มกุล) P.O. Box 9, Muak Lek (Tel: 0 3634 1650)
  • Dao Den Resort (ดาว���ด่นรีสอร์ท) 122 Mu 2 Tambon Muak Lek (Tel: 0 3634 1745 Bangkok Tel: 0 2579 0436), 4 houses: 500-2,200 baht
  • Forest Hill Resort (ฟอเรสท์ฮิลล์รีสอร์ท) 195 Mu 3 Tambon Mittraphap (Tel: 0 3634 1732), 83 rooms: 1,800-3,000 baht
  • Landscape Muak Lek Resort (แลนด์สเคปมวกเหล็กรีสอร์ท) 222 Mu 3 Tambon Mittraphap (Tel: 0 3634 2001), 600-4,000 baht
  • Luang Charoen Sai Than (หลวงเจริญสายธาร) 206 Tambon Muak Lek (Tel: 0 3633 0060), 800-2,500 baht
  • Mission Health Resort (ศูนย์ส่งเสริมสุขภาพมิชชั่น) 195/5 Tambon Muak Lek (Tel: 0 3634 1621-2 Bangkok Tel: 0 2282 1100, 0 2281 1422)
  • Muak Lek Camping (มวกเหล็กแค้มป์ปิ้ง) 14 Mu 2 Tambon Muak Lek, 3 km from Muak Lek Market (Tel: 0 3634 1027), 28 rooms: 600-2,800 baht
  • Muak Lek Paradise Resort (มวกเหล็กพาราไดซ์รีสอร์ท) 42/2 Mu 2 Tambon Muak Lek (Tel: 0 3633 0135, 330195 Bangkok Tel: 0 2719 9054-8), 19 rooms: 1,200 baht, 11 houses: 2,400-4,500 baht
  • Muak Lek Steak House Resort (มวกเหล็กสเต็กเฮ้าส์ รีสอร์ท) 1.5 km from Muak Lek Market (Tel: 0 3634 1011, 0 3634 1072), 9 rooms: 300-3,000 baht
  • Muan Fan (เหมือนฝัน) Mu 1 Tambon Sap Sanun, houses and bungalows: 500-3,300 baht
  • Park Hill Resort (พาร์คฮิลล์รีสอร์ท): 2 km from Muak Lek Market (Tel: 0 3634 1464 Bangkok Tel: 0 2208 9200-3), 10 houses: 1,200-4,000 baht
  • Phetcharat Camp (ค่ายเพชรรัชต์) Km. 136 Mittraphap Road (Tel: 0 3634 1530 Bangkok Tel: 0 2588 3689, 0 2588 2546), 6 houses: rooms: 400-1,400 baht
  • Phu Than Resort (ภูธารรีสอร์ท) 65 Mu 2 Tambon Phayayen, (Tel: 0 3634 1151-2 Bangkok Tel: 0 2970 6063), 20 rooms: 1,300-7,000 baht
  • Rai Kusuma (ไร่กสุมา) 7 km from Muak Lek Waterfall (Tel: 0 3634 1495 Bangkok Tel: 0 2561 4357, 579 1591,0 2561 4363), houses and bungalows: 450-6,000 baht
  • Rai Panawan (ไร่พนาวัล) 7 km before Chet Sao Noi Waterfall, 10 rooms: 500-3,000 baht
  • Rai Rim Than (ไร่ริมธาร) 4.5 km from Muak Lek Market (Bangkok Tel: 0 2573 8782), 15 rooms: 500-3,000 baht
  • Sai Than Rally Resort (สายธารแรลลี่รีสอร์ท) 4 km from Muak Lek Market, 16 bungalows: 500-1,500 baht
  • Suai Suai Resort (สวยสวยรีสอร์ท) 92 Mu 8 Tambon Mittraphap (Tel: 0 3634 2017-9), 35 rooms: 900-1,000 baht
  • Suksan (สุขสันต์) 216/1 Mu 12 Tambon Thankasem (Tel: 0 3626 6815), 15 rooms: 100-200 baht
  • Thep Prathan Park View (เทพประทาน ปาร์ควิว) 111 Mu 6, km 138 Mittaphap Road (Tel: 0 3634 1755-6 Bangkok Tel: 552 7614), 600-3,560 baht

Amphoe Phra Phutthabat

  • Suk Santi (สุขสันติ) 216/1 Mu12 Tambon Thankasem (Tel: 0 3626 6815), 15 rooms: 100-200 baht
  • Suksan (โรงแรมสุขสันต์) 64/1 Phahonyothin Road (Tel: 0 3626 6527), 10 rooms: 60-120 baht
  • Thanin Hotel (ธานินทร์ โฮเต็ล) 45 Phahonyothin Road (Tel: 0 3626 6088), 45 rooms: 110-200 baht
  • Thawisap (ทวีทรัพย์) 98 Makkhaprasit Road (Tel: 0 3626 6108), 13 rooms: 60-120 baht



Examples of Tour Programmes

One Day Trip Bangkok – Lop Buri – Saraburi Route


From Bangkok heading to Lop Buri, participate in the history of the Lawothaya Pura Town, King Narai’s Reign, Phra Phrang Sam Yot, a Khmer sanctuary situated on a mound in the middle of the town and usually surrounded by groups of monkeys. Nearby lies Phra Kan Shrine, a Khmer God shrine. Then, experience the demonstration of How to Make Din So Phong Talc, the original Thai powder or purchase those mixed with herbs for soft skin and an attractive face. Contact Ban Hin Song Kon Din So Phong Powder Development Group at Tel. 0 3664 0504. After that visit a Mushroom Farm, have a peek of the reproduction of the mushroom spores and taste seasoned, buttered and fried mushrooms, as well as, mushroom spicy sauce at Khachonwit Mushroom Farm, Tel. 0 3665 2442. After that, take a race with the ostriches at the Oasis Farm, a home of ostriches waiting for tourists to come and feed them millet. For more information, contact Tel. 0 3645 1261. Go further to see the Bee Empire at Phatthana Nikhom District and learn the process of how to raise bees, as well as, purchase honey and beehives at the Bee Conservation Centre. After departing from Lop Buri, continue to Saraburi by visiting the Pa Sak Jolasid Dam by the tram along its ridge for 40 minutes. Admire the scenery as far as the eyes can see and visit the Pa Sak River Museum. Continue the journey to Khun Mali’s Vineyard situated on a high hill. Admire the vines creeping along the trellis work, as well as, the harvesting process of ripened sweet non-toxic grapes both with seeds and seedless. Purchase concentrated grape juice as a souvenir home, Tel. 0 3622 7056-7.

Examples of Tour Programmes

2 Days / 1 Night Package

Taste wine – have steak

  • Depart Bangkok to Muak Lek.
  • Taste fresh grapes, wine and experience the production process in the winery.
  • Have steak for lunch.
  • Learn how to drive an ATV.
  • Visit the Chet Sao Noi Waterfall.
  • Kayaking.
  • Stay overnight.
  • Have fresh milk and breakfast at the dairy farm.
  • Visit and purchase decorative plants along Mai Lom Street.
  • Visit Phra Phutthachai National Park.
  • Admire the sunflower fields.
  • Purchase souvenirs at the crocodile farm.
  • Depart for Bangkok.

Adventure – trekking –visit waterfall.

  • Depart Bangkok to Kaeng Khoi District.
  • Mountain biking.
  • Visit the Chet Khot – Pong Kon Sao Natural Study Centre.
  • Stay overnight.
  • Visit the Teak Planting Centre and do bird watching.
  • Chet Khot Waterfall.
  • Krok I Dok Waterfall.
  • Purchase souvenirs.
  • Depart for Bangkok.

--(WT-en) globe-trotter 11:33, 2 February 2010 (EST)