Most visitors to Tamano use it as a departure point to islands in the Seto Inland Sea via ferry from Uno Port.
Tamano is served by the JR Uno Line (宇野線) originating from Okayama. There are four stations in Tamano; Tsuneyama Station, Hachihama Station, Bizen-Tai Station, and Uno Station. Most travelers will travel to Uno Station to visit the port, art sites, and take buses to other areas. It takes 45-60 minutes, some trains are direct from Okayama Station while others require a transfer at Chayamachi Station.
Local express busses from JR Okayama station to Uno station available by RYOBI bus. Busses leave every 30 minutes and takes about 45-60 minutes. 650yen from Okayama station to Uno station.
Boats depart and arrive at Uno Port. Schedules are available online.
Several local bus lines are available from JR Uno station to other areas such as Shibukawa or Toji.
Rental bicycles are available at the Tourist Information Center, inside JR Uno station (+81 863-21-3546) ¥400/day 09:00-17:30. ¥2,000 deposit required upon rental. Closed Dec 29-Jan 3.
- Shibukawa Beach (approx. 20-min bus ride from JR Uno station to Marine Hotel). Beach season: from the last Sunday of June to the last Sunday of August. Showers, lockers, changing rooms available exclusively during this season. A calm white sand beach with pine trees, about 1 kilometer long. Excellent for windsurfing or sailing year-round. Free parking.
- 1 Shibukawa Marine Aquariums & Tamano City Marine Museum, 2-6-1 Shibukawa, ☏ . 09:00-17:00. Includes 180 species, most of which are native to the nearby Seto Inland Sea. Adult ¥500, child ¥250.
- 2 Gallery Minato (駅東倉庫"Ekihigashi Souko"), 5-4-1 Chikko (2 min. walk to the east of JR Uno station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00-17:00, closed on Tuesdays. A gallery/rental atelier for local artists. Open atelier held every first Sunday of the month. free.
- Gallery sans quois, ☏ . 10:00-17:00, closed on all dates including the numbers 4 and 8. A fine art gallery featuring local and international artists.
Art Setouchi public art
- Chinu - the Black Sea Bream of Uno (sculpture by Yodogawa-Technique), Uno Port. A colorful sculpture created from recycled cans, bottles, and household items. Artwork No.182 of the Setouchi Triennale Art Festival. Free.
- JR Uno Port Line Art Project (project by Esther Stocker), JR Uno, Bizentai, Hachihama, and Tsuneyama stations. Four stations from the Uno Line are transformed into artwork by simple compositions of geometric lines done in black and white. Artwork No.187 of the Setouchi Triennale Art Festival Free. Train fares to the other three stations from Uno costs ¥140-200.
- Memory of Ship's Hull (sculpture by Atsushi Ozawa), Uno Port. A large metal sculpture incorporating an anchor from a former Japanese Imperial Navy vessel and the propeller of a Norwegian ship. Artwork No.184 of the Setouchi Triennale Art Festival. free.
- The Sea's Memory (sculpture by Haruyuki Uchida), Uno Port. Sea water is enclosed within a mirror-like titanium sculpture in the form of a boat. Artwork No.186 of the Setouchi Triennale Art Festival. free.
- Miyama Park, 2-4490 Tai, ☏ . A 200-hectare park with over 300 species of trees, including cherry blossom, Japanese plum, camellia, azalea, and maple trees. Includes and English garden. English garden: ¥200.
- Ojigatake Hill (approx. 20 min bus ride from JR Uno station; adjacent to Shibukawa beach). A scenic mountain trail within the Setonaikai National Park with unique-shaped rocks overlooking the ocean. Spectacular view of the Great Seto Bridge and scattered islands of the Seto inland sea. Hiking trail from the beach to the summit, and around the observatory. Other activities such as rock climbing and paragliding available.
- 1 Toy Kingdom (おもちゃ王国"Omocha Okoku"), 1640-1 Taki, ☏ . 10AM-5PM; Closed Tuesdays. A small amusement park for young children.
- 2 Uno Port Futsal Court, 5-4-1 Chikko, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Sa 14:00-23:00, closed on Sundays, Mondays, and holidays. A futsal court available for rental. Local teams compete in tournaments held occasionally. ¥5,000/hour plus annual team membership fee.
- 3 [dead link] Setouchi Onsen Tamanoyu, 1-1-11 Chikko (5 mins on foot from JR Uno station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00-23:00 daily (closed for maintenance every third Tuesday of the month). A natural hot spring spa with the widest variety of open-air baths in Okayama prefecture overlooking the Seto Inland Sea. Traditional Japanese building with baths, spas, lounges, and an authentic Japanese restaurant (vegetarian meals available). Free Wi-Fi, English speaking staff, accepts major credit cards. M-F ¥1,600, Sa Su holidays ¥1,900.
- Uno Slope House, Chikko 3-4-3-2 (1.7km north of Uno Port. Free pickup/dropoff from JR Uno Station & Uno Port), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00. Most of the staff can communicate in both English and Japanese. Reservations by email, accepts major credit cards, free WiFi, bike, pickup/dropoff from Uno station/port, tips for local restaurants. Single: ¥5,500-7,900; Double: ¥11,000-14,000.
- Uno Port Inn, 1-4-4 Chikko (Across the street from Uno Port; next to JR Uno Station), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00. Offers both tatami mats and western-style beds. Online reservations via the website, accepts major credit cards, free WiFi, onsite cafe and bar. Single: ¥6,900-8,900; Double: ¥8,900-11,800.