Taree is a large service town on the Manning River, around 20km from the coast. The Pacific Highway used to pass straight through the town, and cross the narrow Manning River bridge, but now a freeway section bypasses the town, which no longer has the volume of trucks and traffic passing through it.
There are attractions and tourist facilities in Taree, but it is not developed as a major tourist destination in itself. It is certainly a reasonable place to stop on the drive along the Pacific Highway.
Taree can be accessed by car when going along the Pacific Highway
Taree Airport (TRO IATA) is just around 5.8 km north east to Taree City Centre. There are Regional Express Direct Flights to and from Sydney three times a day.
Taree Train Station is around 10 minutes walk from the city centre. The New South Wales TrainLink runs between Sydney as far north as Brisbane. Taree Station is one of the major stopping stations on the line.
- The Big Oyster is one of the Big things in Australia, just north of the town. You can lookout through the opening in the oyster shell. Breathtakingly tacky.
- 1 Manning Regional Art Gallery, 12 Macquarie St, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM–4PM.
It is a little drive from Taree, but if you head over to Old Bar Beach:
- During the January summer holiday period there's a sand modelling competition which has become a traditional and popular family fun activity.
- The path from Old Bar Beach to Wallabi Point, 2.5 km, is an ideal distance for light exercise and scenic views.
- A unique aspect of this beach is that it's alongside a heritage-listed airstrip so that flying enthusiasts can fly into the airstrip and then go to the beach.
- 1 Kowin Restaurant, Shop 14/102 Victoria St, ☏ . Tu-Su 11AM–2:30PM, 4:30–9PM. Australian-Chinese cuisine.
- 2 Cafe Giardino, 139 Victoria St, ☏ . 7:45AM–8:30PM.
- Cundle Motel, 7 Princes Street, Cundletown, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. $75-$125.
- Taree Highway Motor Inn, 40-42 Crescent Avenue (old Pacific Highway, near Beeton Parade), ☏ . The Taree Highway Motor Inn is a clean and quiet 3½ star motel consisting of 17 ground floor rooms and 5 deluxe 2 room suites. Situated 1km north of Taree's town centre, the Motor Inn is close to restaurants, cinema, racecourse, sporting fields and the Manning River.
- Namaste Beach House, 31 David St, Old Bar, ☏ . Laid-back friendly accommodation in a sprawling beach house. Pool room, verandahs, kitchen, yoga room, lounge area. Close to the beach, 5 min walk to shops. Double/twin $65, single $40, dorm $30 (weekly rates available).
- Visit the beachside village of Old Bar, directly on the coast from Taree.
|Newcastle ← Myall Lakes National Park ← Coolongolook ←||SW NE||→ Kew → Port Macquarie|