Tarnowskie Góry is in the Silesian Voivodeship. Located in the northwestern corner of the "Silesian Metropolis" centered around Katowice, the city has a proud mining heritage spanning half a millenium. In 2017 its mine was listed as a world heritage site.
- 1 Katowice International Airport (KTW IATA). The most convenient way to get to Szczyrk by plane is by flying to the airport of the regional capital Katowice. The airport is the fourth biggest in Poland.
From the 2 Tarnówskie Góry Train Station (address: Częstochowska 21) there are connections to Katowice. The train ride to Katowice takes approx. 45 minutes costing 4 zł. When coming from Gliwice a change in Chorzów is required.
The 3 Bus Station (Dworzec autobusowy) is located almost right next to the train station.
Tarnowskie Góry is not near the A4 highway which connects Wrocław, Katowice and Kraków. Depending on the direction you come from, it may be more convenient to get off the highway in either Gliwice or Katowice and use smaller roads from there. The driving distance from Katowice is about 35 minutes, from Gliwice 25 minutes.
- 1 The Lead-Silver-Zinc Mine and its Underground Water Management System. Listed by UNESCO as a world heritage site.
- 2 Black Trout Adit. 600 m (2,000 ft) long draining tunnel.
There are several restaurants located around the Rynek square in the historical part of the city.
- 1 Hotel na Podzamczu, Pyskowicka 39, ☎ .
- 2 Hotel Opera, Zamkowa 1, ☎ . Three star hotel located in the city centre 100 meters away from the Rynek square.