Tarnowskie Góry is in the Silesian Voivodeship in southern Poland. Located in the northwestern corner of the "Silesian Metropolis" centered around Katowice, the city has a proud mining heritage spanning half a millenium. In 2017 its silver mine was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- 1 Katowice International Airport (KTW IATA). The most convenient way to get to Szczyrk by plane is by flying to the airport of the regional capital Katowice. The airport is the fourth biggest in Poland.
From the 2 Tarnówskie Góry Train Station (address: Częstochowska 21) there are connections to Katowice. The train ride to Katowice takes approx. 55 minutes costing 6 zł. When coming from Gliwice a change in Chorzów is required. The trip from nearby Bytom takes 25 minutes and costs 4,5 zł.
The 3 Bus Station (Dworzec autobusowy) is located almost right next to the train station.
Tarnowskie Góry is not near the A4 highway which connects Wrocław, Katowice and Kraków. Depending on the direction you come from, it may be more convenient to get off the highway in either Gliwice or Katowice and use smaller roads from there. The driving distance from Katowice is about 35 minutes, from Gliwice 25 minutes.
- 1 The Lead-Silver-Zinc Mine and its Underground Water Management System, Szczęść Boże 81. The mine and the neighbouring Black Trout Adit are remnants of a silver mining industry. The museum is an Anchor point on the European Route of Industrial Heritage, and it is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. 55 zł, reduced 45 zł. Ticket including English speaking guide 70 zł, reduced 60 zł.
- 2 Black Trout Adit (Access is by two shafts Ewa and Sylwester (the traffic is alternating)). A 600 m (2,000 ft) long draining tunnel. It is the longest underground tourist route in Poland travelled by boats. It is located in a park in the west of the town Tarnowskie Góry. The guide puts the boats in motion and tells the stories connected with the place.
- 3 Gwareks' Bell Tower (Dzwonnica Gwarków), Teofila Królika. A modern replica of a wooden mine bell tower from the 19th century.
- 4 Town Hall (Ratusz), Rynek 4. Historical town hall from 1898, located in the town square.
- 5 District Court (Gmach Sądu Rejonowego), Opolska 17. Historical building completed in 1895.
- 6 Karłuszowiec Palace Complex (Pałac na Karłuszowcu), Legionów 35. A historic building complex from the 18th century. It covers the historic Lipowa Street and the area limited by the streets: Legionów, Ogrodowa and Karłuszowiec.
- 7 Rybna Palace (Pałac w Rybnej), Powstańców Warszawskich 83. A palace completed in 1796.
- 8 Tarnowice Stare Castle (Zamek w Starych Tarnowicach), Pyskowicka 39. A castle from 1570.
There are several restaurants located around the Rynek square in the historical part of the city.
- 1 Hotel na Podzamczu, Pyskowicka 39, ☏ +48 32 384 74 17.
- 2 Hotel Opera, Zamkowa 1, ☏ +48 32 381 88 70. Three star hotel located in the city centre 100 meters away from the Rynek square.