Tashkurgan (塔什库尔干, Tǎshíkùěrgān; Uygher: تاشقۇرغان) is a town in the far west of Xinjiang Province in China. Its population is mostly ethnically Tajik. The town is near to the Pakistan and Tajik borders.
This region is commonly known as the main road of the "old Silk Road" the main route leading from China to West Asia. The average elevation is 4000 meters.
Buses arrive and leave from the International Bus Station. Tickets are ¥51 per person and buses leave at daily 7:30AM (local time) daily. It is also possible to get a car for 120 yuan per person.
Plans to build an international airport were approved in April 2015.
- Stone Fort. Stone fort is located in downtown Taskurgan . It has a history of more than 2000 years, in times gone by it was the central palace of the Tajik kingdom.
- Tashkurgan Grassland. During your the walk on the Grassland, you will encounter local Tajik people, heards of grazing animals, and you may visit their traditional yurt houses. You will have the opportunity to take photos of traditional life on the Pamir Plateau and of the beautiful scenery of the surrounding Pamir mountains.
- K2 Youth Hostel (dorms from 30 yuan/night)
- Pamir Hotel (帕米尔宾馆), 中国新疆塔什库干县塔什库干路 (Down the Tashkugan Road towards the west end of town, opposite The China Roads Government Department), ☏ . Three star hotel, large communal courtyard close to the centre of town. 80 double room.
- Crown Inn, ☏ . An upscale foreign owned hotel. They also arrange tours and provide travel advice. The website is very informative. Prices starting at ¥480.