The city of Tasikmalaya has a population of about 800,000. The city is surrounded by the regency of Tasikmalaya. The city is also known simply as Tasik, which means 'sea' or 'lake' in Sundanese.
Tasikmalaya is on Java's southern route (National Road 3) between the city of Bandung and Central Java. To get to Tasik from Bandung, you will need to take the road over the Nagreg mountain pass. The journey takes about 2.5 to 3 hours if traffic conditions are good. However, serious traffic congestion is common on the mountain pass road.
The main bus terminal of Tasik is 1 Indihiang bus terminal on the northwestern side of the city. There are very frequent buses from various bus terminals in Jakarta, including at least hourly buses from Kampung Rambutan terminal in East Jakarta as well as Lebak Bulus terminal in South Jakarta. There are also very frequent buses during daytime from Bandung's Cicaheum terminal. In Bandung, it is also an option to wait for buses to Tasik at the Cileunyi toll gate, as all buses from Jakarta pass there.
While buses from Jakarta and Bandung are the most frequent, there also regular buses (at least several per day) from Cirebon, Yogyakarta, and Semarang, and from towns and cities nearby, such as Kuningan, Ciamis, Banjar, and Pangandaran. Finally, there are daily buses from the port of Merak as well as from Surabaya.
2 Tasikmalaya railway station is on the northern side of the city centre. The station is served by 6 economy class trains per day to Bandung (Kiaracondong station), of which two continue to Jakarta. In addition, there are six business and/or executive class trains per day to Bandung (central station). In the other direction, the trains have various destinations throughout Central and East Java, including four daily trains to Surabaya.
There is only one flight per day to visit Tasikmalaya from Halim Perdana Kusuma Airport, Jakarta.
Travel around the city by using available angkot (public minivans) to take you to several place in Tasikmalaya. Other options to get around include becak (cycle rickshaw) and delman (horse carriage).
- 1 Kampung Naga (Dragon Village), Salawu district (about 25 km west of Tasik city). A traditional village with traditional culture located at the bank of Ciwulan river. The community is living with traditional simplicity and environmental wisdom. The nearby forest is sacred for the citizens of the village because there is an ancestral cemetery.
- 2 Makam Pamijahan, Bantarkalong district (about 45 km south of Tasik city). Religious tourism object. This is the place where the tomb of Syeikh Abdul Muhyi, a well-known Islamic missionary, is located.
- 3 Situ Gede, Mangkubumi district (on the western side of Tasik city). Small natural lake at the edge of the city.
- 1 Mount Galunggung. The Galunggung volcano (about 2,200 m high) is towering over Tasikmalaya on its western side. You can hike up to the crater from Singaparna and from Indihiang (both small towns near Tasik city).
- Wood Craft - Find the traditional wood craft from Tasikmalaya at Rajapolah, a well known Wood Craft Tourism district located at northern part of Tasikmalaya.
- Payung Tasik - An umbrella ala Tasikmalaya.
- Bordir Tasik - Traditional embroidery made in Tasikmalaya, can be found at Kawalu district.
A traditional type of food from Tasik is nasi tutug oncom, which is rice mixed with 'oncom' (fermened soy bean tailings) that is fried or grilled.
- 1 Nasi Tutug Oncom (TO) Benhil 96, Jl. Petir. Open from 12:00. A simple establishment selling 'nasi tutug oncom', but one of the most popular of the city.
- 2 Abon Haji Dudu Eci, Jl. Empangsari (Dalam) 9A, ☏ . Mon-Fri 6:00-20:00. A well-known producer of 'abon': a dried beef product.
- 3 Mie Bakso Siliwangi, Jl. Galunggung. Simple but popular: noodles and meat balls.
There are many hotels in Tasikmalaya to choose from. There is a cheap hotel, Merdeka, right down the road by the train station. Hotel Aden is also quite cheap at around 50,000 per night.
- 1 Hotel Santika Tasikmalaya, Jalan Yudanegara No. 57, ☏ . Chain hotel with restaurant, fitness facilities, outdoor swimming pool. Double rooms from Rp550,000.