Tatev (Տաթեվ) is a village in Southern Armenia and famous for the longest cable car in the world, called Wings of Tatev.
- 1 Tourist Information.
- 2 Cable Car Station (Wings of Tatev).
Tatev is about 1 km in diameter and thus easily explored by foot.
- 1 Tatev Monastery (Տաթևի վանք) (Accessible by a long, bad road, which deters many visitors, or simply by cable car.). Notable even in a country known for stunning landscapes and architecture. The massive monastery complex is a continuation of a sheer cliff that drops below it for hundreds of meters. Once the seat of great wealth, this monastery controlled much of the surrounding countryside. It saw invasions, peasant rebellions and earthquakes. A severe earthquake in the 20th century caused great damage that was partially fixed during Soviet times. Now, it's still a spectacular site.
- 2 Tatev Oil Mill. Museum
- 3 Satan's Bridge (Along the road to Tatev.). At the foot of a sheer canyon with a river running along the bottom, this natural land bridge is called Satan's Bridge (Satanayi Kamurj) by locals. It has a carbonated spring, that you can drink from, along the side of the road, and if you go down a short trail you can swim in a spring fed pool. A tough climb down below the land bridge will reward you with stalactites, stalagmites, and little pools in a cavernous tunnel. Plenty of space around to camp and picnic.
- 4 Tandzatap (Տանձատափ). A nearby small village to visit and hike to.
- 1 Viewpoint.
There are cafés and restaurants near the monastery.
- 1 Free Camping Zone.
Many accommodation options (and information) can be found on the semi-official Tatev BnB homepage, including:
- 2 Tatev 1 Bed and Breakfast, House 36, 17 Street, ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 5,500 dram (single).
- 3 Alina's Bed and Breakfast, House 13, 12 Street, ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. 5,750 dram (single).
- 4 Vazken's Guest House (Vazken's B&B), House No. 8, 3 St., ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 5,440 dram (single).
- 5 B&B Big independent house (Հայերեն), ☎ . Run by Melania, who works in the shop next to the B&B. 5,440 dram (single).