Teresópolis is a city in Rio de Janeiro (state), at 900 meters above sea level. It is one of the most charming cities in the region, with relatively cold weather and beautiful mountains. Less rich than her cousin Petrópolis, Teresópolis is the ideal point of departure for the magnificent Serra dos Orgãos National Park.
Some miles from Petrópolis, Teresópolis is named after Dom Pedro II's wife, Empress Teresa Cristina, and also delights in the same agreeable mountain climate. In the distance are the bay of Guanabara and the spectacular surroundings of this town.
In this seldom-visited region the history of the emperors has nevertheless left its indelible sacred mark.
In 2020, the city was home to 184,000 people.
You can go by bus from the Novo Rio bus station in Rio de Janeiro. The company is also called Teresopolis and the travel takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- From Rio de Janeiro, take Linha Vermelha, then BR-040 (Rodovia Washington Luiz), afterwards the BR-116 (Estrada Rio-Teresópolis). Total distance is 91 km.
- 1 Granja Comary, Bairro Carlos Guinle, ☏ . Well known for housing the headquarters of the Brazilian Football. The Granja Comary is the local concentration of the selection, and training center for other categories sponsored by the Brazilian Football Confederation. The seat has more than 150 thousand square meters of green area, divided into five fields, infrastructure to serve the athletes and a modern training center. The Granja also attracts tourists through the beautiful landscape composed by Lake Comary (artificial), from whose shores can be seen the peaks of the Serra dos Órgaos mountains, including the Finger of God. It's a "postcard" of the City of Teresopolis.
- 2 Soberbo Belvedere (Mirante Soberbo), BR-116 roundabout at entrance to Teresopolis. Daily, 24 hr. On clear days, overlooks Greater Rio, the Guanabara Bay and the Baixada Fluminense. Sight of the place is also the Finger of God, Our Lady's Finger, and other peaks. Free.
- Parque Nacional da Serra dos Órgãos - Flagship of Brazilian national parks. The beauty of the park resides in the strange shapes of its granite formations.
- 3 Aranda Orchidary, Quebra-Frascos rd s/n (access by Teresópolis - Petrópolis Road).
- 4 Dedo de Deus (God’s finger). Elevation: 1692 m.a.s.l. Icon of Brazilian mountaineering.
- Pedra do Sino (Bell Stone). Elevation: 2263 m.a.s.l.
- Nariz do Frade (Monk’s Nose). Elevation: 1980 m.a.s.l.
One of the most beautiful walks in Brazil is the one linking Teresópolis to Petropolis, traversing through some of the astonishing scenery.
The city has very good restaurants.
- Cheiro de Mato, Av Delfim Moreira 140 - Centro. M-Sa 11:00-15:30. Per-kilo buffet with many vegetarian options.
- Crémerie Genève, Teresopolis - Friburgo highway, Km 16. friday to sunday. The restaurant is located inside a farm (Genève Farm). It produces goat cheese.
- Dona Irene, Rua Tenente Luis Meirelles 1800 - Bom Retiro. Russian cuisine.
- Manjericão Casa de Pizza, Rua Flávio Bortolluzi Souza, 314, ☏ . Quality São Paulo-style pizza.
- Novilho de Ouro, Av.Delfim Moreira, 720 - Centro (Praça da Feirinha), ☏ . Churrascaria.
- Restaurante Imbuhy, Estrada dos Pinheiros, 297 - Parque Imbui, ☏ . Try one of the duck dishes.
- Tempero com Arte, Rua Pref. Sebastião Teixeira, 262 - Tijuca, ☏ .
- Athos Hotel Restaurant (Palato), Rua Tietê, 500 - Bairro de Fátima, ☏ . Steakhouse.
- Athos Hotel, R. Tietê, 500 - Bairro de Fátima, ☏ .
|Routes through Teresópolis|
|Fortaleza ← Governador Valadares ←||N S||→ Rio de Janeiro → São Paulo|