First mentioned in 1325, Terneuzen was a strategically located port on the waterways to Ghent, in present-day Belgium. The city received its city rights in 1584.
Tradition has it that Terneuzen was once the home of the legendary Flying Dutchman, Van der Decken, a captain who cursed God and was condemned to sail the seas forever, as described in the Frederick Marryat novel The Phantom Ship and the Richard Wagner opera Der Fliegende Holländer (The Flying Dutchman).
Before 1877, the city was often called Neuzen.
Other towns around Terneuzen are Axel, Sas van Gent, Zaamslag and Hoek.
When travelling from Rotterdam, use the A29 to go south. This road will change to A59 and A4 shortly thereafter. Follow this A4 until Knooppunt Markiezaat, which follows shortly after exit 30. Here you'll have to choose a road.
- If you do not want to pay for toll roads, then keep on the A4 (which requires you to go off the highway first). From here on, follow the A4 to Antwerp, and follow the directions from Antwerp from here on.
- If you don't mind paying for toll roads, then stay on this highway, which will turn into the A58. Turn onto the N62 after exit 36 and once it dead-ends in a T-crossing, you take a left turn. From here on, the signs will direct you to Terneuzen.
When travelling from Antwerp, use the E34 to go west. Use exit 13, Zelzate-Oost, followed by a right turn to get onto the R4 heading for the Dutch border. This road will become the N62 and from here you should follow all signs directing to Terneuzen.
Getting around can be done by bike, but might also be done by car. The N61 services most of the region, though parking, especially at beaches, is very limited. You can also get around by bus.
- [formerly dead link] Witte's Museum for photography and radio, Bastionstraat 45 NL-4571 ES Axel, ☏ .
- The Warehouse - Museum Land van Axel, Markt 2, NL-4571 BG Axel, ☏ . Museum of the Zeeuwse culture.
- Industrial museum Zeeland, Kerkhoflaan, NL-4551 AT Sas van Gent.
- Shellmuseum Zaamslag, Plein 3, NL-4543 BH Zaamslag.
- Visit the Skidôme Terneuzen, Zeelandlaan 3, NL-4538 CA Sluiskil, ☏ . Indoor skiing. Adults: €19,50, Children: €17,50.
- Biking - The flat terrain allows for easy biking.
- Hiking - Hiking or strolling along the beach can be enjoyable to many.
- Restaurant de Kreek, Noteneeweg 28, NL-4535 AS Terneuzen, ☏ .
- Barbecue Restaurant 't Vijverhof, Frederik van Eedenstraat 2, NL-4532 ET Terneuzen, ☏ .
- Hotel/Café/Restaurant Dallinga - see Hotels
- Hotel Golden Tulip L'Esclaut, Scheldekade 65, NL-4531 EJ Terneuzen, ☏ . €90.
- Hampshire Hotel - Churchill Terneuzen, Churchilllaan 700, NL-4532 JB Terneuzen, ☏ . €109.
- Hampshire Hotel - City Terneuzen, Peter van Anrooylaan 2, NL-4536 CE Terneuzen, ☏ . €90.
- Hotel Triniteit, Kastanjelaan 2, NL-4537 TR Terneuzen, ☏ . €93.
- Hotel/Café/Restaurant Dallinga, Nieuwe Kerstraat 5, NL-4541 EB Sluiskil, ☏ . €108.
- De Tukker, Graafjansdijk A 169, NL-4554 AL Westedorpe, ☏ .
- Hotel Royal, Gentsestraat 11, NL-4551 CC Sas van Gent, ☏ . €128.
- Restaurant Au Port, Waterpoortstraat 1, NL-4553 BG Philippine, ☏ .
- Vakantiepark Marina Beach, Middenweg 1, NL-4542 Hoek, ☏ .