Thazi is a small town in Central Myanmar.
Thazi is a useful transport hub, because of its location for transiting around the country.
If arriving from Inle Lake and heading for Mandalay you'll arrive around 19:00 so plan on food, an early night and then the 05:00 train. Everyone here is used to this so expect your horse and cart driver to prearrange a pickup. Alternatively plan to spend a quiet day in Thazi and get the evening train or to navigate via bus to Meiktila.
Thazi s small enough to be explored on foot.
Along the street (turning right out of either of the guesthouses) after crossing the railway track you'll find Ever Restaurant and Power Cafe.
Both options are accessible by horse and cart (2,000 kyat):
- Moonlight guest house - budget accommodation and a 15-min walk or a horse or taxi ride along the road from the station into town.
- Wonderful guesthouse, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Another option. Again nearby. Email] or call ahead for reservations. Family run and the owners are extremely cheerful and helpful.
- Kalaw – 6 hr slow train, a good stop of for Shwenyaung
- Inle Lake – By slow train take the train to Shwenyaung (12 hr)
- Mandalay – 3 hr train. One leaves in the evening and one at 02:00 and 05:00.
- Yangon – 12 hr