Tips for road trips

From Wikivoyage
Travel topics > Transportation > Driving > Tips for road trips
Jump to: navigation, search

Before leaving[edit]

  • Make sure that the car is in good condition. You should check the condition of the belts and fluids and make sure that the tires are inflated to the proper pressure.
  • Be sure to have an idea of the conditions ahead (state of the road, weather).
  • Plan ahead. Know where you are going to have to stop for fuel, refreshments and comfort breaks, how long it will take to get there and alternative routes in case of major traffic jams or accidents.
  • Pack the car properly. Stow the luggage so it won't move around or go flying if you have to stop suddenly.
  • Have things you will need, like, passports, drivers licence, money and change for parking and road tolls all within easy reach.
  • Check whether you have enough fuel in the tank - fill up if you can.
  • Stay off alcoholic beverages the day before. Even though chemical intoxication can wear off overnight, the hangover affects driving ability.
  • Try to get a good night's sleep. Driving while tired is almost as dangerous as driving while intoxicated.

While driving[edit]

  • Obey the local traffic rules.
  • Don't overdo. Stop every 150 miles/250 kilometers, or every 2 hours (depending on the road condition and your speed).
  • Pull over if you start feeling drowsy. Stop and have a rest, even a nap, and let someone else share the driving too.
  • Be patient, it is better to get there late than never.
  • Follow the Two-Second rule. Allow two seconds between you and the car in front; make it four seconds if it's wet or the traffic is heavy.
  • If you are familiar with the metric system, a good rule of thumb for distance to the car in front of you is half your speed (in km/h) in meters. e.g. if you are driving 100 m/h you should leave (at least) 50 meters of distance to the car in front of you. The higher the speed the more distance you should allow on top of those figures.
  • If you are travelling slowly or towing a trailer, pull over and let following traffic pass, especially if a queue starts to form behind you.
  • If it is the vehicles in front of you that are slow, and there are little opportunities for safely overtaking, stop for a rest – better for your nerves and for safety.

When you stop[edit]

  • Stop in a safe place, clear of the traffic lanes, preferably in a lay-by or parking area.
  • Before you lock your car make sure you have a key in your hand, don't just push the lock buttons and shut the door.
  • Before leaving your car, make sure it is safe and secure. Check that the headlights are off, valuable personal items are hidden from view or locked away from opportunist thieves, the car is safely parked and wheels turned to the curb if on a slope. Note where it is parked if in a parking lot or unfamiliar area, and check the parking time limits too.

If you break down[edit]

  • Try to get to the hard shoulder or safety zone before the vehicle stops.
  • If you have a flat tire, consider travelling very slowly to a lay-by or side road if there is no room to stop or the shoulder is not level.
  • Turn on the hazard warning lights - if fitted.
  • Turn off the engine and apply the hand brake.
  • Warn other traffic that you have broken down. Check the local road rules for the acceptable ways to do this. Raising the engine hood is one way.
  • Stay by your vehicle, but get out on the side away from the traffic.
  • Call for help - use a cell phone to call the police or traffic authorities and local autombile breakdown service if you cannot fix the problem yourself.

Many countries require you to have a warning triangle to use in case you break down. It's not always a requirement but definitely always a good idea. Leave it at least 50 meters (others recommend 35 yards) behind your car if you break down; on freeways about 100 m are better. It will prevent you being rear-ended if you have to stop in an unsafe location. A tow-rope and jumper cables are also handy.

Automobile associations[edit]

Various motor clubs or automobile associations provide roadside assistance to members:

A membership card is issued for an annual fee. Many are not-for-profit service organisations, although companies which sell roadside assistance plans on a for-profit basis (such as RAC Motoring Services in the UK or the Dominion Automobile Association in Canada) do compete directly with the motor clubs.

Often, members of one automobile association can obtain roadside assistance from a partner organisation in another country if a vehicle breaks down while abroad; for instance, an ADAC member could obtain AA assistance in the UK or CAA/AAA assistance in North America. Where the coverage applies to the driver (and not a specific vehicle), the roadside assistance remains available when behind the wheel of a hire or rental car.

While services provided by individual motor clubs vary, most provide some level of roadside assistance (towing and recovery, battery boost, spare tyre installation or delivery of enough fuel to get to the next filling station). Some provide locksmith service to unlock a vehicle if keys are inadvertently locked inside. Most provide printed road maps and guidebooks to their members at no additional cost. Other common services include a travel agency and passport photos, travellers cheques and currency exchange, advocacy for safer roads and discounts at motor inns and lodges. Driver training and vehicle inspection may be provided, or membership may allow the motorist a discount on these services from approved vendors. Some sell luggage or clothing for travel, some sell insurance or financial services; in the United States of America the AAA may provide a bail bondsman for members charged with minor out-of-state traffic offences, while in Germany the ADAC provides medical evacuation (by aircraft, if necessary) to members in an emergency. An automobile association may also produce a list of inspected, approved repair facilities; this effort is usually independent of the motor club's inspection and rating of the hotels and restaurants in its guidebooks.

In some countries more than one automobile association exists. This is often due to the political efforts of automobile associations that have been construed as being "lobbying" for cars, roads and fossil dependency. Therefore motorist-clubs of this vein tend to market themselves as "green" and de-emphasize the word "car" in their name. One example would be the the Verkehrsclub Deutschland. Similarly named associations exist throughout Europe, as well as the Better World Club in the United States. While their services are often similar to those of "traditional" automobile associations, they may be cheaper if you drive less or have a more eco-friendly car. Furthermore they offer more resources geared towards alternatives to cars, e.g. maps for cycling trips. Some also offer assistance for cyclists, but if you are an avid cyclist becoming member in a cyclist association instead might be a better idea.

Obtaining roadside assistance for "motor caravan" or "recreational vehicle" (RV) campers may be awkward; while a small camping trailer is relatively easy to separate from its tow vehicle in the event of roadside breakdown, a truck-sized motorhome is a one-piece rig which requires specialised equipment to tow and recover. Not all caravan clubs or associations can provide roadside assistance, although a few (like the Motor Caravan Club of Ireland, Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia (CMCA) or the Caravan Club in the United Kingdom) resell commercial insurance from third-party underwriters; in the USA, the for-profit Good Sam Club provides roadside assistance for RV'ers. Even if your vehicle can be detached from a trailer-style camper, not all roadside assistance plans provide a tow vehicle for both the disabled vehicle and the trailer; if you don't have the extra coverage, your camper might be left behind at roadside until the main vehicle is driveable again.

Border Crossings[edit]

Check with the consulates of the countries you are crossing: there may be special requirements when crossing by car, for example driving from Hong Kong to mainland China requires a change of number plates at the border and a PRC issued driving license, In some cases, crossing borders will require you to change the side of the road you drive on (eg. Hong Kong/mainland China, Thailand/Laos, or UK/mainland Europe by car ferry).

Some countries (including Mexico) impose specific requirements for customs documents (such as a Carnet de Passage) to prove that a temporarily-imported vehicle will be taken out of the country at the end of a trip. Insurance requirements also differ between countries; don't assume that cover which is valid at home will be honoured abroad (Canadian insurance policies usually are valid in the US, but US/Canada insurance is most likely worthless in Mexico). Even if the policy is valid in the country to which you intend to travel, there may be a higher minimum amount of liability coverage in another jurisdiction or a requirement to carry a specific document in-vehicle as proof of valid insurance. In some countries, the wealthy foreigner is at high risk of being found at fault in any collision.

A rental car firm may refuse to allow their vehicles to be driven to another country (with restrictions prohibiting operation of western European hire cars in eastern Europe or US hire cars in México being common; Argentina does not permit rental cars to leave the country at all).

Countries in dark blue are party to 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic. Countries in light blue are not party to 1949 Convention but may honor International Driving Permits. Always check before travel to avoid legal problems abroad.
This travel topic about Tips for road trips is a usable article. It touches on all the major areas of the topic. An adventurous person could use this article, but please feel free to improve it by editing the page