Toamasina is a port city of approximately 145,000 on the east coast of Madagascar. It is still commonly called Tamatave, which was its official name until 1977.
The population of Toamasina is 434,000 as of 2020.
- Air Austral from Saint-Denis de la Reunion.
(You can use Air Austral to go via Reunion too Mauritius or Nosy Be.)
- Air Madagascar & Tsaradia airlines Avenue De Independence. from Antananarivo and Sainte-Marie.
- Madagasikara Airways from Antananarivo and Sainte-Marie.
- From Antananarivo to Toamasina is 355 km, which takes six hours by car.
- Cotisse Transport to and from Antananarivo, (9 hours) 7 trips a day. from 20,000 Ar. Clean buses with free Wi-Fi.
- 1 Toamasina railway station.
First when you come at the first time, there are many places that you have to visit during your trips, they are the following ones
- Bord de la mer "The seaside" It is the coast of the city which is located few hundred meters from the city hall to the north point, it occupates many attractions like the view of the Port and also some domestic bars and restaurants.
- La Mairie "The City Hall" This is also the one of the most known places in Toamasina because by having its wideness and with the very big script front of the building showing "Hotel De Ville" in malagasy "Lapan'ny tanana" or the Castle of the city, where the people prepare their "Civilian documents like Mariage certificate etc."
- 1 Saint Joseph Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Joseph de Toamasina).
Canal des Pangalanes. There are overnight trips on this amazing man-made and natural canal that effectively extends half way down the east coast of Madagascar. Ask at the Hotel Joffre or the travel agents nearby. The boat service is run by a French man who only runs services when there is sufficient clientele.
Banks & ATMs
- BFV-SG. Avenue De L'Independance. 24 hour ATMs take Master card, Visa card, Diners Club, American Express, Discover card, Union Pay.
- MCB. Boulevard Joffre. 24 hour ATM take Master card, Visa Card, Diners card, Union Pay.
- BOMI.Boulevard Joffre. ATMs take only Visa card.
- BOA. Boulevard Augagneur. ATMs take only Visa card.
- BNI. Boulevard Joffre. 24 hour ATMs take Mastercard and Visa card.
- Shoprite supermarket, Fokontany 23/41. 08:00-20:00. Large supermarket chain part of Shoprite South Africa. lowest prices of the big supermarket chains in Madagascar.
- Score supermarkets, Boulevard Augagneur. 08:00-20:00. There are two Score supermarkets in Toamasina.
- Leader Price Supermarket, Rue Flacourt. 09:00-21:00. Many imported goods from France. Higher prices. good quality.
- Supermaki has two stores in Toamasina: in Ankirihiry and Morafeno.
- LA Terrasse Bar and restaurant. Good priced food and drinks.
- Sarkis Bar, Boulevard De La Liberation.
- Queens Disco & bar, Boulevard De La Liberation. Sells pizza. Free wifi.
- Hotel Plage, Boulevard De La Liberation, ☏ . Large double room with own bathroom 35,000Ar. near many bars and a 5 minute walk to the beach.
- Melville Hotel. A 60-room hotel on the Melville Boulevard. Air conditioning and hot water available. From 25,000 to 65,000 Ar per night). Cable TV. Free Wi-fi. It is far from downtown.
- Centre Lambahoany, Boulevard da la Liberte 12-47. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. Single/double room with own bathroom. from 45,000 Ar.
- Hotel Les Flamboyants, Rue de La Liberation., ☏ , . Nice size clean air con double room with own hot water bathroom. Balcony over looking the city. Cable TV. Free Wi-fi 60,000 Ar also has fan double rooms for 45,000 Ar.
- JRJ Hotel, En Face De L'eglise Fjkm Betela Bazarikely, ☏ . Air con double room with hot water bathroom. Cable TV. Wi-fi. From 41,000 Ar. Fan double with own bathroom 31,000 Ar.
- Hotel Mahatoky, Immeuble Mahatoky, Boulevard De La Liberte 12/13. Clean double rooms with or without own bathroom 20,000/25,000 Ar. Has nets in all rooms.
- 1 Hotel Joffre, 18 Bd Joffre, ☏ . Hotel Joffre is an excellent mid-range hotel. Classic old-style fully renovated hotel in downtown with excellent French restaurant. Try to get the 1st floor rooms - the top floor rooms get very hot through sun on the roof. Old wing: double 122 500 Ar, twin 137 500 Ar, family room 167 500 Ar, large family room 200 000 Ar; new wing: double 202 500 Ar, twin 217 500 Ar.
- Telma (next to the post office) Avenue De Independent. has good 4G internet. 12Gb of data cost 75,000 Ar good for 30 days. Most hotels now have free Wi-Fi.