Toamasina is a port city of approximately 145,000 on the east coast of Madagascar. It is still commonly called Tamatave, which was its official name until 1977.
- Air Austral from Saint-Denis de la Reunion.
- Air Madagascar from Antananarivo and Sainte-Marie.
- Madagasikara Airways from Antananarivo and Sainte-Marie.
- The Postal Service operates a cheap and fast taxi brousse from Tamatave to Antananarivo. Look for the van parked outside the post office.
- Cotisse Transport to and from Antananarivo, 11 trips a day from 20,000 Ar.
Canal des Pangalanes. There are overnight trips on this amazing man-made and natural canal that effectively extends half way down the east coast of Madagascar. Ask at the Hotel Joffre or the travel agents nearby. The boat service is run by a French man who only runs services when there is sufficient clientele. A brief history and photos of Pangalanes can be found at .
- MBC & BFV-SG Banks. 24 hour atms. MBC and BFV-SG ATMs take Mastercard.
- Shoprite supermarket, Fokontany 23/41. 8am-8pm. Large supermarket part of Shoprite South Africa.
- Score supermarkets, Boulevard Augagneur. 08:00-20:00. There are two score supermarkets in Toamasina.
- Leader Price Supermarket. 09:00-21:00.
- Taomasina Hotel: Also known as Hotel Pousse-Pousse by most taxi drivers. Not too far from the Joffre Boulevard. Staff is friendly, there is air conditioning and hot water and clean sheets. Expect to find some cockroaches and some insects about in your room. One of the advantage (or disadvantage, depending on you) is that these insects attract a number of geckos around, making for some interesting sights. The air conditioning will most likely smell of cigarettes but you can expect it to work. Also, turning on the air conditioning will prevent mosquitoes to enter your room. Rooms are around 50,000 Ar with air conditioning. There is cheap breakfast available in the morning but choices are very limited.
- Melville Hotel: A small hotel on the Melville Boulevard. Air conditioning and hot water available. Very cheap (30,000 Ar per night) though the rooms are quite small and not very isolated. Loud guests will be heard.
- Centre Lambahoany, Boulevard da la Liberte 12-47. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. Single/double room with own bathroom. from 45,000 Ar.
- Hotel Joffre, 18 Bd Joffre,, ☎ , fax: . Hotel Joffre is an excellent mid-range hotel. Classic old-style fully renovated hotel in downtown with excellent French restaurant. Try to get the 1st floor rooms - the top floor rooms get very hot through sun on the roof. Old wing: double 122 500 Ar, twin 137 500 Ar, family room 167 500 Ar, large family room 200 000 Ar; new wing: double 202 500 Ar, twin 217 500 Ar.