Tolmin is a city in Slovenia.
Tolmin is the largest town and an administrative centre of the Soča Valley. Its greatest attractions are the old town centre, great sports facilities and the Museum of Tolmin which features an ethnological and archeological collection.
The most visited attraction nearby are Tolmin Gorges, the lowest entrance into the Triglav National Park. Confluence of two Alpine rivers into a gorge is quite rare phenomenon. Gorges are one of the deepest in Slovenia, too (60 m under the Devil's bridge).
A few kilometres away we can see Javorca, the most beautiful monument from the First World War in Soča Valley. It was entered into the list of European cultural heritage in 2006.
From Ljubljana via Idrija town is 104 km (1 hour 40 minutes). From Ljubljana via Nova Gorica is 150 km (1 hour 50 minutes). From airport Brnik 110 km. From Nova Gorica is 41 km (40 minutes).
From Ljubljana to Most na Soci train station: about 10 trains per day (about 3 hours drive). From Trieste, there are regular trains to Gorizia Centrale; from there you can walk or short bus ride across the Slovenian border to Nova Gorica and take a train from there to Most na Soči.
There is a bus route for Ljubljana - Tolmin - Bovec and for Tolmin - Nova Gorica.
The best option is renting car, because public transport is infrequent. Furthermore, up to many sights there is no public transport.
Another, environmentally-friendly option is renting a bike.
- Tolmin Gorges, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open at 09:00. Closes: Apr 18:30, May 19:00, Jun 19:00, Jul-Aug 19:30, Sep 18:30, 1-15 Oct 17:30, 16-31 Oct 16:30, 1-6 Nov 16:00. Closed 7 Nov-1 Apr.. The most visited attraction nearby are Tolmin Gorges, the lowest entrance into the Triglav National Park. Confluence of two Alpine rivers into a gorge is quite rare phenomenon. Gorges are one of the deepest in Slovenia. Through the gorge leads 1½-hour long walk, where visitors can see "Bear's head", the spring of thermal water, Devil's Bridge, cave named after Dante Alighieri. Adults €4; children (7-14) €2; students, seniors, groups €3.20; children (under 7) €1.60.
- Javorca, memorial church of Holy Spirit. 18 Apr-14 June: Sa Su and holidays 10:00-17:00. 11 June-31 Aug: daily 10:00-19:00. 9-20 Sep: daily 10:00-17:00. 26 Sep-1 Nov: Sa Su and holidays 10:00-17:00. Closed on rainy days. The Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit in Javorca is dedicated to fallen Austro-Hungarian defenders of the Tolmin battlefield on the Soča (Isonzo) Front (1915–1917). It was built by Austro-Hungarian soldiers during the war. Soldiers were skilled in various trades; the walls and lower section are of stone, while the upper part of the construction is of larch. In 2007 the church was classed as a historical monument bearing the European Cultural Heritage sign. Adults €2.
- Tolmin Museum, Mestni trg 4, ☏ . Tu-F 09:00-16:00; Sa Su Holidays 13:00-17:00. Closed Mondays, Jan 1, Nov 1, Dec 25. The Tolmin Museum presents the rich cultural heritage of the Soča region - ethnological and archeological collection. One of the most important exhibitions in the museum is the Tolmin peasant uprising of 1713. adults €4; children, students, seniors €3; preschool children free; families with children up to 15 years €7.
- Mengore, outdoor museum form the First World War, Gregorčičeva 8, Kobarid, ☏ , . 2 km out of Tolmin towards Nova Gorica Mengore hill is located. In the outdoor museum Mengore remains of the first Austro-Hungarian line of defence can be seen (trenches, caves, memorials, reservoir, remains of stone walls of cabins). Located on the top of Mengore hill is a pilgrimage church, from where a beautiful view opens over the Soča Valley and mountains. Guided tour for 1-4 persons €60, for 5-9 persons €75.
The Soca Valley and consequently Tolmin is great place for outdoor activities.
- Walk in nature, nearby river or into a gorge can be very relaxing.
- Cycling trails are also interesting choice.
- Soca Valley is popular place for mountain biking (there are many cyclist from abroad writing about MTB in Soča Valley). Fishing is possible on the Soča River - near Tolmin there are over 145 km of waterways where fly-fishing is allowed.
- Adrenaline sports in the Soča Valley are rafting, kayaking, climbing and paragliding.
- [formerly dead link] Hotel Krn, Mestni trg 3, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- [dead link] Pension Rutar, Mestni trg 7, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.