Tonghua (通化; Tōnghuà) is a city in Jilin Province.
The train station is about 3 kilometers east of the center of town. The long-distance bus station is about 500 meters west of the train station.
- Baihe - 6-8 hours; ¥21-47
- Beijing - 17 hours; ¥132-399
- Dandong - 5 hours
- Changchun - 7 hours; ¥32-106
- Shenyang - 6-8 hours; ¥30-187
- Changchun takes 4 hours (but recommended not to take it when the roads are icy)
- Ji'an takes about 2 hours; ticket is Y27 (as of 2014), and the last bus leaves around 16:30.
- Jilin City
Tonghua is a small city that has been fully modernized in Chinese style with tall buildings and a few simple shopping malls. The riverfront has been attractively re-done. Although the downtown is pleasant, there are few tourist attractions. Most visitors will be using Tonghua as a jumping-off point for the Koguryo sites in Ji'an or for onward travel to Changbaishan.
There is not much for tourists to do in Tonghua, but one could shop or take walks along the riverfront. The town is also ringed by attractive hills, and it may be possible to take walks in the surrounding countryside.
- Shun Feng Hot Pot Restaurant, ☏ .
- Dongshan Guest House, 1 Jingyu Road, ☏ , fax: .
- Wantong Hotel (Directly across from train station). Located directly across from the train station, it is not close to the downtown, but very convenient for those transiting through Tonghua by bus or train. The hotel is very ordinary but clean and well-maintained. 200¥.