Being established in 1621 Tornio is definitely the oldest city in Lapland. Today the city has approximately 22 000 inhabitants. Tornio forms a unique economical zone together with Swedish town Haparanda; the border between the countries is hardly visible.
The city has a large steel factory and a famous brewery (Lapin Kulta), which was closed in August 2010. Outokumpu steel company is biggest employer in Tornio area.
While Tornio may be a good place to view the Northern Lights, many things are closed during the winter – without necessarily being advertised as such.
- 1 TornioHaparanda Tourist Information Office, Green Line, Pakkahuoneenkatu 1, ☏ .
Use the website Perille to find the most convenient route.
In season VR has a night train from Helsinki to Kolari, which stops at Tornio. The station is named Tornio-Itäinen (Tornio East).
More trains stop at Kemi, 30 km away. From there you'll have to continue by bus.
From Finland, you can check the website of the central organization for intercity buses, Matkahuolto, for information about timetables and fares.
Tornio has no airport of its own, the nearest one being Kemi-Tornio airport on the Finnish side (20 km from Tornio), where Finnair runs scheduled flights from Helsinki. From there you'll have to continue with the bus service (see Matkahuolto), the nearest bus stop of Kemi airport is named Kemi lentoasema th. Oulu airport is more far away, but the fares are usually cheaper and flights more frequent. From Sweden, fly to Luleå and take the bus to Haparanda-Tornio travel centre.
The city is small; you can get everywhere by walking. It is also easy to visit Haparanda in Sweden by foot (the border is barely noticeable).
Demand-responsive service traffic is designed especially for those residents who have difficulty traveling on public public transport or who live outside public transport services. Call-driven service traffic complements the local traffic in the city of Tornio and is open to everyone. The ride is ordered from the driver on the previous visit or at the latest on the working day preceding the need for transport.
- Smartphone app: Valopilkku
- 1 Church of Tornio. One of the most beautiful wooden churches still in use in Finland. The church was designed and completed by Matti Härmä in 1689, making the building over 300 years old.
- 2 Church of Alatornio. Classic church designed by Jacob Rijfin and completed in 1797. The church is part of the Struve Geodetic Arc protected as an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- 3 Orthodox Church of Tornio. An orthodox church completed in 1884 and dedicated to apostles Peter and Paul. Open during the summer.
- 4 Kukkola Rapids. In the Torniojoki river, some 10 km north of the town.
- 5 Arboretum Park. An excellent teaching and observation area. No entrance fee.
- 6 Historical Museum of Tornio River Valley (Torniolaakson maakuntamuseo), Torikatu 4. A visit to the museum gives a good overall impression of the history of the entire Western part of Lapland. Entrance fee: €2-4..
- 7 [dead link] Smeds Gold & Silver Gallery, Kemintie 6. Silversmith Jorma Smeds forges traditional Lap Silver using hammer and an anvil.
- 8 Jaur Showroom, Teollisuuskatu 8. Open M-F 12-16.30.. A design gallery which presents the internationally renowned artefacts of Eero Hyrkäs. Free entrance..
- 9 Aine Art Museum (Aineen taidemuseo), Torikatu 2. Open Tu-Th 11-18, F-Su 11-15.. The art collection presented in the museum is from the Aine Visual Arts Foundation collection. Entrance fee: €4, children for free..
- 10 Postelli Paula Salminen, Niemeläntie 2. Workshop is located by the sea in Laivaniemi 10 km from Tornio.
- 1 Alkunkarinlahti Nature Trails. A bird reservation site with three observation towers, covered trails and a campfire site. A must-see for a bird-watcher!
- 2 Bothnian Bay National Park (Perämeren kansallispuisto). A group of islands lying far apart from each other; a characteristic view for Perämeri National Park! Many different bird species are nesting in the park and seals can be seen in the waters. A great experience for anyone enjoying swimming and sunshine! Only reachable by boat or, parts of it in winter, over the ice. A few tour companies offer cruises, paddling or skiing tours etc.
- 3 [dead link] Arctic Iceroad Production, Hallituskatu 9, ☏ . A wide range of programme services. For example guided tours with an authorised guide, guided fishing and hunting tours, extreme and survival adventures, rally and off-road safaris. Also equipment rental, bicycles, skies, ice skates and canoes.
- 4 Green Zone Golf. A unique golf course in the golfing world. The border is crossed four times during the game and you have the possibility to make a hole in one across the border on the sixth hole. The time difference between Finland and Sweden is one hour so it takes an hour to hit the green! In the middle of the summer the sun shines 24 hours a day so you can play even during the night.
- 5 Hovilompolo, Husantie 4, ☏ . Situated 23 km north of Tornio. A traditional country manor with a large courtyard, terrace, a smoke sauna and a Lappish tent. A rental cottage for sunny summer days!
- 6 Nordic Safaris, Koskitie 130, Kukkola, ☏ . River and white-water rafting safaris with rubber and rowboats in the summer. During winter time snowmobile safaris to Sampo Ice breaker and Snow Castle.
- 7 Traffic park for children, Juhannussaari, ☏ . Open every day during summertime at 11-17 closed in case of rain.. Summer fun for children. The park is situated in Tornio, close to the water tower.
- 8 [dead link] Kotieläinpiha Tara. Domestic animal farm in Arpela, 20 km from Tornio. Riding tours and camps. Open all year round.
The hot summer days can also be spent swimming in the cool Tornio river, lake Karsikkojärvi or in the beautiful island of Seskarö.
- [dead link] Twin City Festivals. Northern town atmosphere and top artists mainly from Finland and Sweden.
- [dead link] Kalott Jazz & Blues. A yearly jazz and blues festival.
- [dead link] Rajasoitto. Folk music, folk dance and accordion festival.
- Peräpohjola Historical Market. A market event that takes us to the 1800s.
- White fish festival and Kukkolafästit. Old traditions and culture are cherished on in the Kukkola villages on both sides of the river.
- Midnight Sun Golf Marathon. Four days and three nights of golfing; an exciting competition between teams.
- National Sauna Day. Enjoy sauna, music and good company at Kukkolankoski.
- Art Bazaar. An art event that was first organised in 1991 at Aine Art Museum. Artists from both Finland and Sweden.
- New Year Celebrations. The new year is celebrated on the border with double fireworks! As Finland and Sweden are in different time zones you can celebrate the arrival of the new year in Tornio, then cross the river and celebrate it again one hour later in Haparanda.
- 1 Rajalla - På Gränsen. Next to the Swedish border, the name of Tornio's largest mall translates in both languages to "on the border".
- 1 Kisälli, Urheilukatu 6, ☏ . Lunch M-F 11-13. During summer time only café and bakery open 9-14.30. Catering student training establishment. À la carte, café and bakery.
- 2 Subway, Rajalla - På Gränsen Shopping Centre, Länsiranta 10, ☏ . M-F 12-20, Sat 10-19, Sun 12-18.. French bread and salads.
- 3 Cafe Picnic (in the shopping mall Rajalla-På Gränsen). Lunch delicacies: French bread, salads, pasta, soup.
- 4 Tasty Fast Food, Laivurinkatu 5, ☏ . Mon 11-20, Tu-Th 11-22, Fri 11-4.30, la 12-4.30, su 12-20. Lunch M-F 11-15.. Chinese, Italian and Thai food and pizza.
- 5 Grillikioski Kukkolankoski Catering, Koskitie 4, Kukkola, ☏ . Open in the summer Su-Th 7-22, F-Su 7-02. Delicacies from Peräpohjola: salmon soup, smoked fish, reindeer, grilled white fish.
- 6 Meerin Grilli, Länsiranta, ☏ . Su-Tu 10-02, W-Th 10-04.30, F-Su 10-06. Delicious grilled food.
- 7 Turkinpippuri, Laivurinkatu 10, ☏ . M-Th 10.30-22, F-Su 10.30-4.30, Sun 12-22. Kebab and pizza
- 8 Golden Flower, Eliaksenkatu 8, ☏ . Mon 11-18, Tu-F 12-20, Sa-Su 12-22. The first Chinese restaurant in Tornio. Chinese food and pizza.
- 9 Umpitunneli, Hallituskatu 15 (right on the western bank of Tornio river), ☏ . Mo, Tu, Th 15-22, We-Fr 15-04, Sa 13-04, Su 13-22, food served until 22:00. A bar and steak restaurant with outdoor and indoor seating. The decor is Mexico-themed, but the menu is not. If you're hungry, order the XXL-burger! They have live music performances on weekends.
- 10 Saigon, Kauppakatu 13, ☏ . Mon 10.30-19, Tu-F 10.30-22, Sa-Su 10.30-22. Lunch M-F 10.30-19. A Vietnamese restaurant.
- 11 Tornio Kerhoravintola, Puutarhakatu 9, ☏ . Lunch M-F 11-15. À la carte M-F 11-21, Sa-Su 12-21.
- 1 Arnolds Bakery & Coffee Shop, Rajalla – På Gränsen shopping mall, Länsiranta 10, ☏ . M-F 9-20, Sat 10-18, Sun 12-18.. Doughnuts, bagels, smoothies and other delicacies.
- 2 Café Aine, Torikatu 2, ☏ . Tu-Th 11-18, F-Su 11-15. The coffee shop is situated in Aine Art Museum.
- 3 Karkiainen, Länsiranta 9, ☏ . M-F 8-18, Sat 10-17, Sun 12-17. Coffee house and restaurant. Lunch 11-15. Bakery products for sweet teeth.
- 4 Lappelill Viihdekahvila, Länsiranta 9, ☏ . M-F 10-20, Sat 12-20. A cosy cafeteria near the shopping centre.
- 5 Myllynpirtti, Koskitie, Kukkola, ☏ . June-August M-Th 9-22, F-Sa 9-24, Sun 10-22. Coffee house and restaurant.
- 6 Pitoporras, Hallituskatu 14, ☏ . M-F 7.30-17, Sat 9-14.
- 7 Robert’s Coffee & SpiceIce, Rajalla – På Gränsen shopping centre, Länsiranta 10, ☏ . M-Sa 10-20, Sun 12-19.
Bars, Pubs and Night Clubs
- 8 [dead link] Blues Station, Länsiranta 9, ☏ .
- 9 Pikku Berliini, Hallituskatu 11. A German-style pub.
- 1 Summer hotel Lappia, Urheilukatu 6, ☏ . Situated in Tornio centre. In June-July the students apartments are rented for travellers. The rooms have a toilet, shower and cooking facilities. Bookings M-F 8-16.
- 2 Camping Tornio (Situated 2,5 km south of Tornio centre.), ☏ . Open 3.5-30.9 (closed in Midsummer 25.-26.6.) 15 cottages, 60 camping places with electricity for caravans and campers. A beautiful beach and riverside sauna. Rental boats.
- 3 Peräpohjolan Opisto, Kivirannantie 13-15, ☏ . Situated 2,5 km north of Tornio. 30 rooms with a toilet and shower. Cooking facilities and washing machine.
- 4 E-City Bed & Breakfast, Saarenpäänkatu 39, ☏ . Situated in Tornio centre, by the beautiful Tornio river.
- 5 Tornion Kaupunginhotelli, Itäranta 4, ☏ . Situated in Tornio centre by the river. 98 rooms with shower and toilet, telephone, tv and wireless Internet connection. 5 different restaurants and a sauna compartment. double room €131.
- The Swedish town of Haparanda is situated at the other side of the border.
- In the other direction the city of Kemi is less than half an hour away by bus or car.
- To the north is Tromsø, Norway via Kilpisjärvi along the Tornio River, or Nordkapp, Norway via Rovaniemi and Ivalo on another route.
|Routes through Tornio|
|Sundsvall ← Haparanda ←||W E||→ MERGES WITH|
|Kilpisjärvi ← Ylitornio ←||N E||→ Kemi → Oulu|