Torrent (from Latin torrens) was formally established by the Romans, although the area has been inhabited since a much earlier period. The street layout of the old city centre, with its narrow and winding alleys, dates from the Arab period, and in the early 13th century the town was taken by the Christian Reconquista. Today it is known primarily as a bedroom community of Valencia.
The yellow MetroBus Línea 170 runs from 3 Àngel Guimerá-48 bus stop in Valencia to 4 Carrer de Gómez Ferrer bus stop about every 20 minutes, also stopping in nearby Alaquàs. The trip takes about 30 minutes and costs €1.50.
The centre of the old town is easily navigable by foot.
TorrentBus (single ride €1.25, no transfers, M-Sa) serves four routes in the city, and MetroBus line 170 (single ride €1.50, M-Sa) also makes multiple stops between Torrent and Valencia. A list of bus routes with schedules is available here, and a comprehensive route map is available for download here.
- Servi-Taxi Torrent, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 24 hrs. A 5 taxi stand is located in front of the Caixa Rural Bank (Avinguda al Vedat, 1), and another 6 taxi stand is in front of the Torrent Avinguda metro station. Credit cards are accepted.
- 1 Torre del Castell de Torrent (Torre del Castillo de Torrente / Castle Tower of Torrent), Plaça Major, s/n, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Built in the early 11th century, this is the main tower and the only surviving remnant of a Moorish castle which was part of a network of outer fortification circling the city of Valencia. The tower was used as a prison during much of its history, and was restored in 1973 and 2009. Today it is used as a venue for temporary exhibitions.
- 2 Museu Comarcal de l'Horta Sud (El Museu Comarcal de l'Horta Sud / Regional Museum of l'Horta Sud), C/ Verge del Oliver, 30, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Oct-May Tu-F 10:00-13:00 17:00-20:00, Sa 11:00-11:30 17:00-20:00; Jun-Sep M-F 10:00-13:00 17:00-20:00. Housed in an old farmhouse, this museum is devoted to cultural history and traditions of the region. A permanent exhibit recreates a traditional pre-industrial farmhouse, and the museum also hosts temporary special exhibits. Free.
- 3 Església de l'Assumpció (Iglesia de la Asunción / Church of the Assumption), Carrer de l'Esglesia. Built in the 16th century atop the site of an earlier 13th-century church, the church was enlarged in following centuries and remodeled in the churrigueresque style.
- 4 L'Hort de Trenor (Huerto de Trénor / Trénor Garden), Av Padre Prudencio, ☏ . Daily 08:00-20:00. The former monastic complex is now a public garden.
The neighbouring village of Alaquàs has a couple of interesting sights for visitors who happen to be in the area. It is most easily reached by Metrobus line 106 from Torrent, or by Metrobus lines 161 or 170 from Valencia. Alternatively, Renfe regional train line C3 departs every ½ hour from Estació de València Nord and stops at the 7 Aldaia train station (Estación de Aldaia, tel. +34 963 357 365), with a travel time of about 30 minutes.
- 5 Palau-Castell d'Alaquàs (Castell d'Alaquàs / Palau dels Aguilar / Alaquàs Castle), Carrer del Pare Guillem, 2 (Alaquàs), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 10:00-14:00 17:00-21:00. A 15th-century noble manor, listed as a 'National Historic Artistic Monument'. Despite the demolition (and subsequent reconstruction) of one of its four defensive towers in the early 20th century, it has some noteworthy coffered ceilings, Renaissanace-era tilework, and other architectural ornaments. The building has been fully restored and today is used as a cultural centre.
- 6 Església de l'Assumpció (Iglesia de la Asunción / Church of the Assumption). Built in the 16th and 17th centuries on a site previously occupied by the town mosque. Originally in the Churrigueresque style, it was heavily modified in the 19th century.
- 1 Auditori Vicent Torrent (Auditorio de Torrent / Vicent Torrent Auditorium), Carrer de Vicent Pallardó, 25, ☏ . Box office: Th 17:00-20:00, F 11:00-13:00, and 2 hrs before performance. A venue for musicals, light operas, and plays, and hosts an annual flamenco festival in November. Tickets can be purchased online.
- Falles (Fallas). 15-19 March. As in neighbouring Valencia, this annual celebration is dedicated to San Josep (San José / St. Joseph), and includes the burning of falla monuments as well as mascletàs (gunpowder demonstrations).
- Semana Santa. The week before Easter Sunday. The city of Torrent has been celebrating Semana Santa for over 100 years.
- 2 Serra Perenxisa (Sierra Perenchiza). The mountain park has a couple peaks over 300m and is accessible via the hiking trail PR-V 162.
- 1 CC Las Américas, Avinguda al Vedat, 180, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 09:00-21:30. A modern shopping centre with brand-name shops and restaurants.
- 2 Antic Mercat (Mercado de Torrent / Torrent Market), Carrer de Cervantes, 1 (centro). M-F 08:30-18:00.
- 3 Mercadillo Central, Carrer de Cervantes (S side of the Mercat de Torrent). F mornings. The weekly street market has a number of stalls selling clothing and other odds and ends, and has a few snack bars.
- 4 Mercat de Sant Gregori (Mercado Municipal Sant Gregori / St Gregory Market), Carrer Pintor Renau, ☏ . M-Sa 08:00-15:00.
- 5 Mercadillo de Sant Gregori, Carrer del 25 d'Abril (by the Mercat de Sant Gregori). Sa mornings. The better of the two weekly street markets, it is a good place for local fresh produce and other food items, as well as various household goods.
- 1 Alquería de La Seu, Camino Florentina, 2 (Picanya), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 08:00-20:00. Located in an old farmhouse seemingly in the middle of nowhere, the highly-regarded restaurant specializes in traditional Valencian rice dishes – the paella especially is recommended. Reservations can be made online, at least 24 hrs beforehand, with a required minimum party of 4. Lunch set menu: €22-26 including drinks; dinner set menu: €15-26 including drinks.
- 1 AS Hoteles Torrent, Autovía A-7, Km 345, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 13:00-24:00, check-out: 05:00-12:00. Has nonsmoking rooms and free Wi-Fi. Pets permitted on request. Doubles €38-53, breakfast €7.
- 2 [dead link] Vistamar Valencia B&B, Carrer Riu Millars, 4, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Doubles €35-40.