Totnes, Devon is an English Market town. The village of Dartington is just outside Totnes, as is Dartington Hall.
Back in the 1920s, an Englishman who had been in India working with Tagore on rural renewal projects married an American heiress he had met when they were both studying at Cornell (see their biographies). They bought Dartington Hall, one of the oldest and largest manor houses in England, and started an assortment of development projects in the area — a textile mill producing tweeds, several sawmills, a cider company, a glassworks, and so on.
Among the things they started was Dartington Hall school (now closed), using fairly novel methods. A.S. Neill's Summerhill is a better-known example with a similar approach. Aldous Huxley sent his kids to Dartington Hall and based some of the educational methods in his novel Island on Dartington.
- 1 Totnes railway station. has trains from London Paddington via Exeter, Plymouth and Penzance. Trains are run by Great Western and Crosscountry.
- Fore Street and High Street, both lined with Tudor period buildings.
- 1 Totnes Castle, Castle Street, TQ9 5NU, ☏ . Situated on a promontory, commanding the River Dart, Totnes Castle was built by the Normans at a point where three valleys meet. Despite little remaining of the original motte and bailey castle, other than the earthworks, the stone enclosure of Totnes Castle's keep, built at the summit of the motte, has survived to the extent of being one of the best preserved in England. adults £3.60, children £2.20, concessions £3.20.
- 2 Berry Pomeroy Castle, Berry Pomery, TQ9 6LJ (2 miles east of Totnes), ☏ . adults £4.90, children £2.90, concessions £4.40.
- 3 Totnes Information Centre, The Town Mill, Coronation Road, TQ9 5DF, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Run by Totnes Town Council, Totnes Information Centre represents a good starting place for visitors to the town.
- 1 South Devon Railway. Daily Apr - Oct + some other days 4+ trains per day. 7 mile steam railway to Buckfastleigh £12.40 return.
- DartingtonARTS. Theatre, dance and music performances
- Dartington International Summer School of music.
- Roundhouse Cafe.
- Barrell House (Top of town, corner of castle street and high street).