Totnes, Devon is an English Market town. The village of Dartington is just outside Totnes, as is Dartington Hall.
The Dartington Hall Estate was purchased Dorothy and Leonard Elmhirst in 1925. They wanted to create an "experimental" estate with forestry, farming and educational projects. This led to the opening of a school, a tweed mill, sawmills, a cider company and the famous Dartington glass works.
The school, which has now closed, used novel methods, similar to those used by A.S. Neill at Summerhill . Aldous Huxley's children went to Dartington Hall, some of the educational methods in his novel Island are based on the Dartington School.
- 1 Totnes railway station. has trains from London Paddington via Exeter, Plymouth and Penzance. Trains are run by Great Western and Crosscountry.
- Fore Street and High Street, both lined with Tudor period buildings.
- 1 Totnes Castle, Castle Street, TQ9 5NU, ☏ . Situated on a promontory, commanding the River Dart, Totnes Castle was built by the Normans at a point where three valleys meet. Despite little remaining of the original motte and bailey castle, other than the earthworks, the stone enclosure of Totnes Castle's keep, built at the summit of the motte, has survived to the extent of being one of the best preserved in England. adults £3.60, children £2.20, concessions £3.20.
- 2 Berry Pomeroy Castle, Berry Pomery, TQ9 6LJ (2 miles east of Totnes), ☏ . adults £4.90, children £2.90, concessions £4.40.
- 3 Totnes Information Centre, The Town Mill, Coronation Road, TQ9 5DF, ☏ , email@example.com. Run by Totnes Town Council, Totnes Information Centre represents a good starting place for visitors to the town.
- 4 Dartington Hall Estate, Dartington Hall TQ9 6EE. Extensive grounds and gardens of the former school.
- 1 South Devon Railway. Daily Apr - Oct + some other days 4+ trains per day. 7 mile steam railway to Buckfastleigh £12.40 return.
- DartingtonARTS. Theatre, dance and music performances
- Dartington International Summer School of music.
- Barrell House (Top of town, corner of castle street and high street).
- Sharpham is a vineyard and dairy farm on the River Dart, tours available.
- 1 Steam Packet Inn, St Peter's Quay, ☏ .
- 2 Glazebrook House, Glazebrook, South Brent TQ10 9JE, ☏ . Alice-in-Wonderland themed hotel, but no children under 15 or dogs. B&B double £200.
- 3 The Bull Inn, 102 High St, Rotherfold TQ9 5SN, ☏ . Lively inn and bistro with rooms, dog-friendly. B&B double £120.