Trani is a city in the province of Barletta-Andria-Trani in the region of Apulia (Puglia), Italy. The "pearl of the Adriatic" has an ancient village and monuments such as the Romanesque cathedral and the Swabian castle.
The ancient city is full of churches, monasteries, and historic buildings. The church of Ognissanti (also called dei Templari), the churches of San Francesco , Sant'Andrea and San Giacomothey are interesting architectures in Romanesque style. Other places of great interest are the tourist harbour, the municipal villa, a rare example of a garden by the sea, and the promenade which goes from the centre to the medieval monastery of Colonna.
Trani is well served by trains. The National Train Service (Ferrovie dello Stato) has numerous trains reaching Trani on the "Linea Adriatica". You can take the express train (Eurostar) on the Lecce-Milano line. Do not forget to reserve your seat before you get on the train (can be done on line).
- Highway - "Autostrada" A14 Bologna-Taranto, exit "Trani"
- Freeway - "Strada Statale" 16BIS direction Bari-Foggia, exit Trani Downtown (Trani Centro) or "Strada Statale" 98 direction Bari-Foggia, exit Corato-Trani and follow direction to Trani
- La Cattedrale (The Cathedral), Piazza Duomo - Built between 1150 to 1250, this is one of the most beautiful and well preserved Romanesque churches in Puglia. Especially beautiful are the bronze doors, made of 32 panels, made by Barisano da Trani. The panels are decorated with figures of Christ, the Virgin Mary, the Apostoles and Saints. The Cathedral is one of the most representative and valuable examples of Apulian Romanesque architecture; it is located in an isolated position near the sea, this scenographic location is of great charm and lends itself to the performance of various public and cultural events.
- Monastero di Colonna, Peninsola di Colonna
- Castello Svevo, Piazza Re Manfredi. The Swabian castle is one of the most important and best readable among Frederick's castles. It is used as a state museum by the Ministry of Culture.
- Il Porto (The Harbor), Via Statuti Marittimi
- Il Palazzo della Pretura (Palazzo Candido)
- Villa Comunale (Public Gardens)
- Museo Diocesiano, Palazzo Lodispoto, Piazza Duomo 8/9
- Sant'Antonio Abate e Fortino, Via Statuti Marittimi
- Sant'Anna, Via de la Giudea
- Sant'Andrea, Via Mario Pagano
- Sant'Agostino, Piazza Gradenigo
- Santa Teresa, Piazza Sedile San Marco
- Santa Maria Scolanova, Via Scolanova
- Santa Chiara, Piazza Regina Elena
- San Toma, Piazza San Toma
- San Rocco, Via San Giorgio
- San Nicola Piccinino, Via Prologo
- San Martino, Via San Martino
- San Luigi, Piazza Mazzini
- San Giovanni, Via Beltrani
- San Giacomo (was known as Chiesa del San Russis), Via Romito
- San Francesco, Piazza della Libertà
- San Donato and Torre Dell'Orologio (Clock Tower), Via Porta Antica
- San Domenico, Piazza Plebiscito
- Ognissanti (also known as Chiesa dei Templari), Via Ognissanti
- Chiesa del Miracolo Eucaristico (also known as Cappella di San Salvatore or Cappella dell'Ebrea), Via Lagalante
- Chiesa del Carmine, Piazza Tiepolo
- Casa de Agnete
- Palazzo Antonacci Telesio
- Palazzo Arcivescovile
- Palazzo Cacetta
- Palazzo Covelli
- Palazzo de Angelis
- Palazzo della Pretura
- Palazzo Filisio
- Palazzo Gadaleda
- Palazzo Lambert
- Palazzo Quercia
- Palazzo Torres
- Palazzo Valenzano
- Palazzo Vischi
- Convivio, Via San Giorgio (Adjacent to Mare Resort), ☏ .
- Ristorante il Melograno, Via Giovanni Bovio, 189, ☏ . closed Wednesday.
- Portanova, Piazza Ferdinando Lambert, 7, ☏ .
- Gallo Restaurant (Di Gallo Alessandro), via Statuti Marttimi 48/50, ☏ . closed Wednesday.
- Mari Trattoria-Braceria, via Ognissanti 84, ☏ . Cucina Tipica Pugliese
- Amadeus, Via Statuti Marittimi 34 (Along the port), ☏ . They have gluten free pizza and gluten free beer.
- Palazzo Filisio Hotel Regia Restaurant, M, Piazza Duomo, 2, ☏ .
- Hotel San Paolo al Convento, Via Statuti Marittimi, 111, ☏ . Not bad if you want to look at the harbor or breakwater. €157.
- ibis Styles Trani, Corso Imbriani, 137, ☏ , fax: . Complimentary breakfast and right by the train tracks, if that's a good thing.
- Hotel Capirro, Via A. Maria di Francia, 137, ☏ , fax: .
- Hotel Riviera, Via Galilei, 6, ☏ , , fax: .
- Albergo Lucy, Piazza Plebiscito, 11, ☏ , (mobile).
- Mare Resort, Piazza Quercia, 8- 70059 Trani, ☏ . Resort in an old Palazzo near the port