Trat is on the Cambodian border in southeastern Thailand. Most travellers will use Trat as an access point to Ko Chang.
Tiny Trat Airport (TDX) is served only by Bangkok Airways from Bangkok. Alternatively, and much cheaper, is a 1st class bus service that connects Trat directly with Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK).
Buses to Trat depart from Bangkok's Eastern (Ekamai) and Northern (Mo Chit) Bus Terminals (5 hours). From Ekamai buses run frequently throughout the day 6am-11.30pm with an overnight bus at 23:30 (as of October 2016). 1st Class is around 248 baht and the government-run bus has a nice 2nd class (air-con, but no toilet) for 188 baht.
If attempting to go to the border with Cambodia and continue on to Phnom Penh via one of the regular Cambodian bus services the same day, it is advisable to take one of the overnight buses from Bangkok to Trat. The overnight buses will arrive at the Trat bus depot very early in the morning and you can then catch the first morning mini-bus from the Trat bus depot to the border itself. 120-150bt. takes one and half hours. hourly 5am-6pm.
- there are also a buses to/from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport for 248bt. takes 5 hours. 5 daily departures
The regular Cambodian buses that leave Koh Kong for Phnom Penh depart Koh Kong around 08:00, so in order to catch the bus you need to be across the border when it first opens in the morning or shortly thereafter. Taking a mid-day bus from Bangkok puts you into Koh Kong either too late to cross the border (not a 24 hr operation) the same day or too late to catch the bus to Phnom Penh. In these cases you will have to spend a night in a hotel on the Thai or Cambodian side before moving onward.
To go straight to the border by minivan to cross over to Koh Kong costs ~120-150 baht.
Regular bus connections from Chanthaburi 70bt. and other provincial capitals are also available from the Trat bus depot.
On the east side of the main market building is the local share-taxi departure area. You can't miss the blue cars and pick-ups. Departures toward most provincial villages leave when the vehicle is full, including those to Haad Lek. Connections from there are available to the Cambodian border and Koh Kong.
The town is sufficiently small to make walking the best mode of transport, although there is little to do besides explore the small streets and relax. If needed, a motorbike taxi to just about anywhere in town, including to bus terminal, is 20 baht.
Trat can be a starting point for a motorcycle trip to Ko Chang. Rentals of Honda and Yamaha motorbikes, in good condition, can be hired at the shop on Sukhumvit south of the market area (~200 baht). Drive south along Sukhumvit for about 45 minutes, and follow signs for the ferry quay. Be sure to top up with petrol before taking the ferry, as fuel prices on the island are rather high. Also, caution is required when driving on the island as the roads, although in excellent condition, are steep and winding, extremely so in some instances. (Furthermore, if taking your motorbike on the ferry you have no choice but to immediately go over the most dangerous hill, since it lies between the ferry piers and all the beaches. Carrying maps of Ko Chang and Trat province is advisable, as the routes are not always clear.
Cycle around the scenic lake which is just a few minutes cycle away from Trat town centre. Its about 10km around the lake and is scenic the whole way around. There are a few places to eat and drink as well. Hire a bicycle from Tattoo Guesthouse opposite Pop Guesthouse for 50 baht for all day. Use the bike also to go shopping at the huge Tesco Lotus supermarket on the edge of town. It has an excellent pharmacy.
Have a 2 hour kick boxing lesson in the ring, at Tattoo Guesthouse.
Resident expats have set up a few used bookshops which provide English and German books at fair prices. They can be found in the small streets south of the central market.
- 7-Eleven Conenience Store, Th Sukhumvit (city center). 24 hours.
- Across from the KFC in central Trat, and very close to the main bus terminal, there is a large indoor market with plenty of restaurants.
- A lively night market gets underway around 18:00 just north of the main market. Just north of that is a smaller market open all day offering snacks and local produce.
- Orchid restaurant serves good Pizza and Western food, breakfast with home made brown and white bread. The Thai selection of the menu is nicely cooked
- Dream Guesthouse (Small road left off Sukhumvit (Choeren Rd), just S of the market). offers simple, clean rooms at fabulous rates (~100 baht for twin room with fan). Friendly advice is available in English from the resident owner. 100-450 baht.
- Guy Guesthouse. See Sangjun Guesthouse..
- Jane's Place Guest House (On lhakmuang Rd, conveniently in the centre of Trat near the market), ☎ . They only have three double rooms but each is clean, and also have a balcony overlooking the garden.
- Orchid Guesthouse (Restaurant), 92 Lhak Muang Rd, 92 (On a side street S of the market area), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The front operates as a restaurant serving Thai/Western fare. Has air-con rooms, and free Wi-Fi for guests. Friendly advice is available in English from the resident owner. 150+ baht for fan rooms.
- S.A Hotel, 45 Soi Terdjarad 2, ☎ , , fax: . 100 rooms. 250 baht rooms are fan only and barely furnished, but with TV. 250-900 baht.
- Sangjun Guesthouse (formerly, Guy GH), Thana Charoen Road (From Sukhumvit Rd about 500 m from center. Direction W. Go left Thana Charoen Rd. Sangjun is after 200 m), ☎ , e-mail: Noinoi1988@hotmail.com. Check-out: 12:00. 15 rooms, also has family room. Good price-quality balance. Nice restaurant, good location, ticket service. 200+ baht.
- Yotin Guesthouse, Thana Charoen Rd (200 m from Sukhumvit Rd, near center), ☎ , , e-mail: Yotinguesthouse55@gmail.com. Seven rooms. New guesthouse in good location. Close to nightmarket/center. Very clean rooms and very good beds. No traffic or other noise. Rooms with TV, air-con or fan. Bathroom inside. Hot shower. 350-600 baht.
- Ban Jai Dee Guest House, 6 Th Chaimongkol, ☎ . fan room with shard bathroom. hot water Showers 200 bt.
- Garden House Guest House, 87/1 Rad-anuson Road, ☎ . Check-in: 12 noon, check-out: 12 noon. fan room with outside bathroom fan room from 150bt.
- James Guest House, 45/1 Lak Muang Road, ☎ . Check-in: 12 noon, check-out: 12 noon. fan room with outside bathroom from 150bt.
- Most people head straight from Trat to Ko Chang, Ko Kood, Ko Mak, Ko Wai or continue to Hat Lek for a visa run to Cambodia
|Routes through Trat|
|Bangkok ← Chanthaburi ←||W E||→ END|