Trenčín is the main city of the western part of Slovakia called “Považie”. It lies on the longest Slovak river called the “Váh”. Because of its importance and beauty, Trencin is called “the pearl of Povazie”. Trenčín is a peaceful city with a beautiful historical centre and several suburbs. The Trenčín hockey team belongs to the best of Slovak hockey clubs, and its soccer team is in the top league as well. Generally, Trenčín is one of the wealthiest cities in Slovakia with low unemployment and quite a high standard of living. Because of its position between the mountain chains, it is likely to have windy weather. Winters are quite long, and summers are not the warmest when compared to the Slovak average temperatures. Because of new investors and a wide number of new construction projects these days, Trenčín is redeveloping itself into a new regional tourist centre in Slovakia.
Trenčín is situated in the north-west of Slovakia, 120 kilometres north of Bratislava, close to the border with the Czech Republic. The main highway from Bratislava to Kosice, which is in some parts still in progress, has a direct exit to the centre of Trenčín. When taking the D1 highway from Bratislava it shouldn't be more than a one hour trip. Traveling by car to Kosice from Trenčín takes about four hours, while Banska Bystrica, which is in the middle of Slovakia, is two hours drive away.
You can take one of the frequent trains from Bratislava to Trenčín, as it is on the national main line. It takes about one hour and forty minutes to reach Trencin from Bratislava. The trip further east to Kosice takes from 3.5 to 4.5 hours depending on which kind of train you take.
Because of the location of Trenčín in relation to other surrounding destinations, it has many buses going through it. The trip to Bratislava from Trenčín takes about two hours (the train is a better option), to Banska Bystrica takes about three hours (a bus is the fastest way) and if you want to travel to Kosice, take the train.
The main station for local buses is across the road from the train station. Tickets can be bought on the bus.
City centre is very small and you can easily walk from one side to another in a few minutes and most of it is pedestrian area.
Trenčín has a rather good public transportation system although not so frequent to a smaller boroughs. Bus drivers sell tickets, but you can only use cash. Ticket is valid only for one journey without change and costs 0,60 € and for baggage larger than 30x40x60 cm 0,25 €. To board you need to use first door.
For schedules and map of routes see imhd.sk (also in English).
- Trenčín Castle (Trenčiansky hrad) - on a rock above the city.
- Executioner's House (Katov dom) - Matúšová Ul. 14.
- Roman inscription from the year 179 (Rímsky nápis) - There's one unique Roman inscription from the year 179 when the Roman legions led by Marcus Aurelius wintered in the settlement then named Laugaricio there. It's written on the castle rock and it's freely accessible from within the Hotel Elizabeth (formerly Hotel Tatra).
- City Gate (Mestská veža) - remaining part of city fortification.
- Synagogue (Synagóga) - build in 1913 is accessible at times of occasional exhibits; with a small worship room in the back of the building.
- The museum of wheels (Múzeum kolies) - exhibits of car wheels made from wood or stone.
- Beckov Castle (Beckovský hrad) - is a local castle ruin. It is easily reachable by bike from Trenčín or by few direct buses from Trenčín or with one change via Nové Mesto nad Váhom.
- Mineral water in Kubrá (Kubranská kyselka) - spring of mineral water located in Kubrá near wood with playground for kids. Easily accessible by foot, car or bus (nr. 7, 11 and 13 from bus stop Kubranská, kyselka).
- Island (Ostrov) - popular recreational place just next to the city centre. Also the venue of annual summer event Splanekor (Splav netradičných korábov - Sailing of unusual ships).
- Pohoda festival - one of the biggest Slovak music events, organized annually in Trenčín Airport.
- Hradza on the Vah
The Hradza is a levee along the Vah river. The path is used by walkers, bikers, and rollerbladers.
The Brezina is forest which runs around the south-east of Trenčín just two minutes by walk from the city centre. It contains number of very nice, quiet and safe trails also good for biking.
On the part of the town called “Ostrov”, which is situated on the Vah river, are many choices of sport and leisure activities.
- The Sports Indoor Centre, ☎ . providing many sports including squash
- Tennis courts, ☎ (mobile). Karpatská ulica, open daily during the summer season.
- Tichá ulička, ☎ (mobile).
- Ostrov, ☎ (mobile). open daily during the Summer season,
- Fitness Gabrhel, ☎ . Opatovská cesta 676.
- Fitness Gabrhel, ☎ . Gen. Svobodu 1.
- Fit Centrum - club - Šnajdr, ☎ . Mládežnícka.
- Body building P + D Jarábek, ☎ (mobile). Lavičková 3472.
- Outdoor swimming pool, ☎ . Mládežnícka 2.
- Outdoor swimming pool, ☎ . Zlatovská cesta.
- Municipal indoor swimming pool, Mládežnícka 3, ☎ .
There is possibility to go canoeing on the Vah river during the Summer season. You can also lend canoe at the "Ostrov".
- Cinemax - ZOC MAX, it is a complex consisted of four cinemas in one shopping centre called Max on the Stefanikova street.
- Metro – Cinema in the heart of the city on the main square. They use to play non-commercial movies from different countries worldwide.
- Galeria M. A. Bazovskeho,Palackeho Ulica 27
- Municipal gallery, Mierové námestie 22. Gallery hosts naive and professional artists from Trencin region.
- Trenčín Museum, Mierové námestie 46. Museum is situated just at the beginning of the main square coming from hotel Tatra by the left hand. It is generally presenting the history of Trencin and has nice exposition of animals as well. Music undertakings often provided.
- 1 Pohoda Music Festival. This is the big event that everyone looks forward to. It takes place second weekend of July. Usually starts from Thursday afternoon till Sunday morning. Main programme is planned for Friday and Saturday. Approx. 25 000 people attend event. Mostly camping in tents in the area of former military airport.
- Art Film Fest. International movie festival. The Art Film Fest is a competitive International Film Festival. The festival was founded in 1993, it takes place each year at the end of June, in the historical town of Trenčín and the nearby historical spa resort of Trenčianske Teplice.
Fashion is a synonym to city Trenčín in the past it was called “Trenčín town of fashion”; this wonderful town has many nice small shops and big shopping malls. Small classical shops are surrounded in the town centre. A lot of nice shops create a nice look to the square. Both shopping and sightseeing could be done in the town centre.
Shopping centers, Malls
- Max - gen. M.R. Štefánika 426, there are a lot of cafés and small shops, located 1km from the train and bus station.
- Baumax, Big Boxes and Tesco - Električná 911 01 Trenčín, are on the other side of the town. There are some good shops, and also cheap ones. But my recommendation is to go to the square.
- Južanka Shopping Centre - it is located in the part of town which is called “Juh”.
- Laugaricio- the new shopping centre on the outskirt of the city. There are a lot of sport shops and there are also shops with clothes and a lot of cafés and restaurants.
In Trenčín there are many good places where you can eat, there are some really good fast foods in the town centre, and you can have their national specialties in a roll, such as “Cigánska pečienka”, which pork roast on the split in the roll.
- U Sanera this restaurant is very popular because they are serving huge portions of meal for good price, but they are cooking only Slovak meals
- Gazdovska very popular restaurant in the centre near “Peace Square”
- Cinema Movies Club it is restaurant and dancing club too, advantage is that they are serving meals during the night
- Papa´s Garden located near the fountain of waterman, they are serving meals like Kebab, Gyros and so on...
- Basta this restaurant is located on the place called “Ostrov (island)” and only this one restaurant is opened all day and all night.
- Giacomo Pizzeria typical Italian pizza with everything what belongs to it, they are also serving pasta and salads. This pizzeria is very close to Restaurant U Sanera.
- Retro Restaurant. Very clean, good service, they have very good meals and the prices are quite good, also every weekend there's live music.
- Restaurant Fatima is on the way up to the Castle, very nice
- The Tatra Hotel is absolutely excellent it has never been out of the top 10 hotels in Slovakia and does an very nice all you can eat breakfast for 150 Kc
Although Trenčín is a small city, there are many places where you can drink. The season begins on Friday and Saturday when many people drive out to centre to undergo some entertainment.
Bars and Pubs
- Life Music small pub with good background, students are meeting there especially on Friday and Saturday
- Steps Pub and Cocktail Bar. located near the town tower. High end. Usually no fee during weekends, best sound and light system in town, Drinks are quite expensive in comparison with other pubs in town, but for Westerners still OK. Nobody under 18.
- Cinema Movies Club – very good place for entertainment on Friday and Saturday, during the week it is the restaurant. No entrance fee to disco, drinks are cheaper than Steps and also society is middle class.
One big Tea room is located on the Mierové Square opposite to the Church, which is also a shop with tea stuff. There is one very good tea – Tea of Old Touaregs, green tea made from gunpowder.
Čajovňa Jaipur is an oriental themed tea-house on the other side of the clock tower near the tourist info center on Hviezdoslavova 8. It has a pleasant atmosphere and friendly staff, delicious tea, non-alcoholic cocktails and sheesha pipes. They often have live music, and there is a terrace for pleasant evenings.
Trenčín is a small town, but there are a lot of places with accommodation, 4 hotels and several lodging houses
- Elephant`s Castle Hostel, Mierové námestie 37, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The only hostel located in the historical center, right underneath the Trencin castle. Prices between €15 - 20.
- Penzion u Svorada, Location of this lodging house is in the middle of the Peace square, this is used by low category tourists and also prices are low.
- [dead link]Ostrov camping. Basic camping situated near the lake Vah, swimming pool and sport hall are close to that camp. It's good for anglers, fishermen, and people with boats and water scooters.
- [formerly dead link]Harmonia. Very small and very close to main road also has a kitchen but it has only *** site
- [formerly dead link]Formula. Nice Lodging house with good kitchen near the City University
- [formerly dead link]Magnolia. Very nice outside of town centre also with kitchen
- [dead link]Hotel Pod hradom***. Matúšova ulica 12/68 situated behind the “Mierove Square” it is close to the castle.
- [dead link]Hotel Brezina**. Somer a.s., Lesopark Brezina 911 00, this hotel is located in the Brezina forest, it is surrounded with beautiful nature
- Hotel Elizabeth****. M. R. Štefánika 2. National Monument, hotel was built in the year 1900, hotel provide high quality services, accommodation and alimentation for higher prices, hotel is also famous for the message which kept Roman forces in the past, about 200AD.
- Grand Hotel***, Palackého 24 close to the "Peace Square"
- Internetova kaviaren, Braneckého 6; Hours: Monday - Friday 9AM - 10PM, 12PM - 10PM.
- Internet Modra linka, Štúrovo námestie 11; Hours: Monday - Saturday: 10AM - 10PM, Sunday: 12PM - 10PM
- Hajex Cafe, Palackého 17; Hours: Monday - Friday: 10AM - 9PM, Saturday: Closed, Sunday: 3PM - 9PM.
Trencin is quite a silent town it is very safe by European and American standards; there is not so much crime like in other parts of world, police is highly respected in town and could be met very often in downtown. But only one recommendation, stay safe of pickpockets or thieves. Take care of your wallet if you are in the bus, train and in crowded place.
Slovaks are very popular for they hospitality for foreign people. They are also well known in world for they adaptability and kindness, but if you have any problem try to ask them nowadays many Slovaks speak English or other foreign language and they will be glad to help you if not try to call 112(police, first aid, and firefighter).
There are many interesting places around Trenčín where you can go:
- Trenčianske Teplice : very quiet international spa town, many foreign tourists visit this small town
- Beckov old ruins of great castle
- Lešná, near town Zlín in Czech Republic there is very big Zoo, and it is popular because of animals being free in the wild
- Inovec highest hill in mountains around Trenčín with nice panorama view and also good place for skiing