Trikala (Population: 81,355 (2011)) is a city in Thessaly with a good cafe and nightlife scene. It is an agricultural town that is well placed for those going to Meteora 15 km north or the Pindos Mountains to the west. It lies on the Litheos River that runs through the center of town.
Homer mentioned the city as Trikala and is supposed to be the birthplace of the god of healing, Asclepius.
The closest airport is Volos airport (VOL IATA), situated in (Nea Anchialos [formerly dead link]), about 130 km W from the city. Volos may be the nearest airfield but only offers service during the warm-weather months. Ryanair operates flights from April to October to/from Hahn (Frankfurt), Bergamo (Milan), Rome and Charleroi (Brussels) airport. Belle Air operate to/from Tirana. Transavia operate to/from Amsterdam. There is a bus connecting airport and Volos bus station. Buses are waiting to pick up travelers after a plane lands, the cost form the airport to Volos Bus station is €3. Then you have to get another bus or Train from Volos to Trikala. The bus station in Volos is about 1 km from the train station.
The nearest airport offering year-round international service is in Thessaloniki (SLG) about 3 hours away.
By regional coach
Interurban coaches ("KTEL" buses) (+30 24310 73131) are by far the most convenient way to travel around Greece, as well as for intra-regional travelling. There is frequent bus service from Athens Liossion Station to Trikala, as well as from Thessaloniki bus terminal "Macedonia" to Trikala. There are several KTEL bus stops in the city. The main bus station is about 4 km out of town.
Trains (OSE) (+30 24310 27214) connect Trikala to other cities in Greece. Travelling with ordinary trains can be cheaper, although a little bit slower, whereas choosing a fancy faster Intercity train will cost the same amount of money, or even more than a KTEL bus. There are direct trains to Athens and Larissa to Thessaloniki.
Most of Trikala's sights are within walking distance. Also, you can rent a bicycle for free at the tourist information centre. Large streets have bike lanes and most areas in and directly around the city are quite flat. There are also intra-city buses however their routes and bus stops are not marked properly, making it hard to use for the outsider.
- 1 Koursoun Tzami (Across the river and 300 m to the east of the city center). This Turkish mosque dates from the 16th century. It was built by Sinan Pasha who also designed the Blue Mosque in Istanbul. Free.
- 2 Fortress of Trikala (Just west of the city center on top of the hill that overlooks the city). This Byzantine fort has a clock tower that provides an excellent view of the city as well as a small photo exhibition showing the history of Trikala. Free.
- 3 Chapel of Profitis Ilias (200 m north of Turkish Quarter on the hill north of the Fortress).
- Turkish Quarter (Varousi) (Just west of the city center at the foot of the Fortress). A peaceful area of winding streets and old houses.
- 4 Μύλος Ματσόπουλου (Matsopoulos Mill), Klinou 10, email@example.com. Old flour mill and pasta factory turned industrial museum and park. Free.
- Ski, Pertouli (50 km west of Trikala in the Koziakis Mountains).
- Kayaking, Tria Potamia (80 km west of Trikala in the Koziakis Mountains).
- 1 Γαλαξίας Super Market (Galaxias), Kondili 50, ☏ . M-F 08:00-21:00, Sa 08:00-20:00. Budget supermarket for groceries, with a large selection of non-food items on the second floor.
- 2 Street Market, 28 Oktober Street. Every morning until 12:00. Fresh local produce from small sellers, for lower prices than the shops.
- 1 Κόκκινη Σβούρα (Kokkini Svoura), Asklipiou 21. Modern gastropub with a daily menu. Greek and international cuisine, nice big portions.
- 2 Ταβέρνα Διαχρονικό (Tavern Diachroniko), Ypsilantou 21, ☏ . Daily until the morning. Traditional Greek restaurant with good fare, dinner is served until long after midnight. Try the Lathos, pork smothered in wine and apple sauce.
- 3 Σουβλάκι ΠεΠα (Souvlaki Pepa), 25is Martiou 3, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A well-known spot for souflaki and gyros, right in the entertainment quarter. Big portions for around €2. Plates are available too but it's mostly a takeaway place.
- 1 Κληματαριά Μεζεδοποτείον (Klimataria), Asklipiou 46. Daily 11:00-04:00. Cozy bar with drinks and food at reasonable prices. Locals come here to enjoy the traditional Greek rebetiko music.
- 2 Coffee Island, Vasolissis Olgas 3. M-F 07:00-21:00, Sa-Su 08:00-21:00. Get your morning brew here.
(1 and 2 stars)
- 1 Palladion Hotel, Vyronos 4, ☏ . Just across river from city center
- 2 Hostel Meteora, Tiouson 51 (corner of Papagou St). Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 11:00. €12.50 dorm, €35 private.
(3 and 4 stars)
- 3 Achillion Hotel, 2 Asklipiou & Kanouta Sts, ☏ . Just across river from city center.
- 4 Aeton Melathron Hotel, 16 Nearchou & Klidonopoulou Sts, ☏ . 2.5 km northwest of city center.
- 5 Hotel Lithaeon, 16 Othonos & Garivaldi Sts, ☏ . Centrally located on the river, and close to a KTEL Bus Stop.
- 6 Panellinion Hotel, 2 Vass. Olgas St, ☏ . Historic hotel in city center at Rigas Ferroes Square.
- 7 Ananti City Resort, Loggaki Trikalon, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. On the top of a hill, 2 km away from the city center, with panoramic view that embraces the plain of Thessaly.
- St George Hotel, Chrisomilia (50 km northeast of Trikala), ☏ . B&B.
- Papanastassiou Hotel, Elati (35 km west of Trikala), ☏ . 2-star hotel.
- Free World Guesthouse, Kori (25 km west of Trikala). Hostel.
- 4 Tourist Information Office (on the central square). Kiosk with information as well as free bicycle rental. Just leave your ID and you can take a bike for free for 3 hours.
Koziakas Mountains - A wide variety of outdoor activities are in the Koziakas Mountains, 20 km west of Trikala. The village of Pyli ("The Gate") stands at the entrance of one of Greece's most beautiful gorges. Right at the entrance of the gorge, 1.5 km past Pyli, is the 13th Century Church of Porto Panayia. The church has impressive mosaics and marble icons. Another 5 km past Pyli is the Mono Agios Vissariou, a 16th Century monastery. The ski area Pertouli is 30 km past Pyli. Tria Potamia offers kayaking in the Aheloos River.
Plastira Lake - 30 km southwest of Trikala.