The town of Trim is on a crossing point of the River Boyne in south-west County Meath, 25 miles north-west of Dublin and about 20 miles from Drogheda, where the Boyne meets the sea. Its surrounding agricultural land is considered to be among the best in Ireland. The town has a population of about 7,000.
The town has been used as the location for some film productions, including the use of Trim Castle to depict York Castle in Mel Gibson's Braveheart. Trim was also the setting for the first full-length Irish martial arts movie Fatal Deviation, a low-budget production from 1998 that tells the story of a young man trying to rebuild his life after returning from reform school only to be harassed by a gang of local drug dealers. Scenes from the 1980 movie The Big Red One, starring Lee Marvin and Mark Hamill, was also shot in Trim and in particular Trim Castle.
- Trim Tourist Information Office, Mill St, ☏ .
Bus timetable (Dublin-Trim) from Bus Éireann
- Donie Quinn, ☏ . +353 87 222-7333
- Trim Town Taxis, ☏ .
- John's, ☏ .
- 1 Trim Castle, ☏ , . Stands as the remains of the largest Norman castle in Europe, and Ireland's largest castle. It was built between 1174 and 1206, primarily by Hugh de Lacy and his son Walter. Adults €4.
- The yellow steeple. Named so for the way the sun sets and rises on it in the giving it a yellow colour. The remains of a 14th century abbey on a hillside near the town centre, is the tallest building in Trim and can be seen for miles around the town.
- St. Patrick's Church of Ireland church. This church located on Loman Street on the north side of the town is reputed to be the oldest Anglican Church in Ireland (disputed by a church in Armagh which claims its 20 years older then the Trim Church). The original church lies in ruins behind the current newer church which faces onto Loman Street from behind a large boundary wall.
- Trim Town Walls. Though not much remains of the original walls of trim, the "sheep's gate" stands near the 'yellow steeple' and the castle. The wall in this area is in ruins but it marks the original town boundary, the only intact part of the wall stands on Loman Street It is not marked by any signs but it starts around the front of St. Patrick's Anglican church and runs down to 'the Priory pub'. According to historian Michael Potterton: ‘The earliest known evidence for the walling of Trim dates to January 1290 when Geoffrey de Geneville was given a seven-year grant to impose customs on goods coming into Trim in aid of enclosing the town ‘for the greater security of Ireland'.
- The Boyne river walk. A walkway along the river Boyne starting at the castle park and running along the Boyne to Newtown abbey. The total walk to Newtown and back takes about 40mins.
- Newtown Abbey. Lies on the banks of the Boyne about 15min walk from Trim Castle. It once was the largest Abbey of its kind in Ireland. It is still used as a graveyard for the town so there are no guided tours but there are lots of Information boards with pictures of what the certain area's used to look like.
- St.John the baptist hospice. Lies across the Boyne from Newtown abbey. This structure is again free access. At the entrance the is a defence tower which used to part of the walls of the hospice.
- Trim Circuit Courthouse. Built in the 19th century the courthouse overlooks the main street of the town. Recently extended with an award winning design the courthouse is located next to the main entrance of the castle.
- The Town Hall (Market House). Reputed as one of Thin Lizzy's first concert venues, and has seen U2 and several other noted bands play there over the years.
- Trim Car Show. An annual classic car show takes place in Trim every July, Trim Veteran and Vintage Rally has been running since 1985. It started in a small yard on Loman Street with just 23 cars. The founder, Norman Pratt, determined to expand the show, approached the Roundtree family who very kindly allowed The Porchfields to be used on the day. It has grown each year since then and there are now in excess of 500 cars and motor cycles on show.
- Trim Haymaking Festival. Trim Haymaking Festival is held in the town every mid-June. The Porchfields, an amenity space rich in historic value, are home to a fair, market, and cultural displays. The main event is the traditional making of the first hay of the year by hand and by old-style machinery.
- Royal Meath Show (Trim Show), ✉ email@example.com. The Royal Meath Show also known as TheTrim Agricultural Show takes place in the first week of September each year in Porchfields Trim and features classes for horses, cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, home industries,a vintage display, a dog show with rescue dog classes, trade stands, an Artisan Village with food and crafts and a celebrity chef doing a cookery demo and a children area with animals and many displays €10 entry.
- Hot Air Ballooning. Take a thrilling flight over the beautiful countryside of Meath.
- Station House, In nearby Kilmessan, ☏ . Housed in the former village railway station on the old Trim line, offers delicious food in luxurious surroundings. It's not budget fare, but will impress.
- Marcie's (outside town between Navan road and Dublin road, at Blackfriary bridge). Live traditional music every weekend.
- James Griffin, High St. Known locally as Lenihans, this is a traditional 'spirit store' pub with large smoking area at rear. Draws a large, younger crowd at weekends. Traditional music every Monday and Wednesday nights.
- Tigh Catháin B&B, Longwood Rd, ☏ .
- Trim Garda Station, ☏ .